Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 14, 2013, 02:20:51 PM
Caddy's doing alright; it's nearing 100k miles now, so I imagine my mechanic is going to try to talk me into some pretty pricey maintenance items. It may need new tires by then, too, and I'm thinking of downsizing down to 18" rims because 20"s just don't have much treadlife at all. I once considered this thought blasphemous; chalk it up to me getting older everyday.

On the plus side, I'm usually able to find myself in an empty stretch of freeway doing 90+ on the way back from L.A. every weekend.

Nice.  Glad to hear you take that skirt off every so often.  I love those super fast drives.  I was really disappointed because I had one planned for 2 weekends ago, coming back from Boston, and got hit with freezing rain instead.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Vinsanity

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 02:28:32 PM
Nice.  Glad to hear you take that skirt off every so often.  I love those super fast drives.  I was really disappointed because I had one planned for 2 weekends ago, coming back from Boston, and got hit with freezing rain instead.

Hey, quattro lives for triple-digit runs through freezing rain!

It was nice knowing you, Dave!

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 14, 2013, 02:38:02 PM
Hey, quattro lives for triple-digit runs through freezing rain!

It was nice knowing you, Dave!

:lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 02:54:38 PM
:lol:

You just have to remember to avoid the understeer. A little Scandinavian flick is the best way to turn a Quattro. Even on dry pavement.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 07:30:10 AM
It worked for me.

It saves weight, but it also increases your center of gravity.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on December 15, 2013, 08:45:44 AM
It saves weight, but it also increases your center of gravity.

What exactly is "increasing" a CoG?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Making it more... centered? Or more gravity. Maybe it's making the center of gravity more in the middle of the car and also increasing gravitational acceleration to 9.9 m/s/s.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Expeditioner

Quote from: Rupert on December 15, 2013, 02:29:45 PM
Making it more... centered? Or more gravity. Maybe it's making the center of gravity more in the middle of the car and also increasing gravitational acceleration to 9.9 m/s/s.

Perhaps it makes the center of gravity BIGGER. Mind = blown.

Sent from the center of the universe.

Rupert

I bet there are black holes involved.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on December 15, 2013, 02:29:45 PM

Master Roshi says it is essential to remain well centered.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

NomisR

Well, after a Rotary vehicle, a sub 2000lb car, now, I can add a plug in hybrid electric thing to my resume...

Today, I saved about 45 mins on my way to work... i'll take a couple pix when I get around to it..

Raza

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 15, 2013, 01:41:42 PM
What exactly is "increasing" a CoG?

You're taking weight off from below the center of gravity, so shouldn't that raise it?  Does it not work like that?  I slept through that class I didn't take.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on December 16, 2013, 02:33:45 PM
You're taking weight off from below the center of gravity, so shouldn't that raise it?  Does it not work like that?  I slept through that class I didn't take.

Yeah, CG is just a location though.  You're raising it, but it isn't a value, so you can't really increase it.  You can increase a dimension, but you can't really increase a location.  Ya dig?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on December 16, 2013, 02:48:04 PM
Yeah, CG is just a location though.  You're raising it, but it isn't a value, so you can't really increase it.  You can increase a dimension, but you can't really increase a location.  Ya dig?

Jeez, infer a little.  When I said "increase", I clearly meant "increase its height".  Excuse me for not writing everything out when talking about pube shaving.   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

I actually didn't know what you were trying to get at. I'm not even sure that shaving your balls would raise the c of g, at least not in all cars. Balls are probably towards the upper end of the mass of the car on most cars.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on December 16, 2013, 09:29:20 PM
I actually didn't know what you were trying to get at. I'm not even sure that shaving your balls would raise the c of g, at least not in all cars. Balls are probably towards the upper end of the mass of the car on most cars.

I wonder if the owner's manual would have that information.   I don't see how it couldn't.   That's pretty important to know.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on December 16, 2013, 09:29:20 PM

Dave's quite old, so I imagine they hang lower than the average ball.   :dance:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on December 17, 2013, 08:53:51 AM
Dave's quite old, so I imagine they hang lower than the average ball.   :dance:
They're probably hairier too.

Eye of the Tiger

At $17,900, and with 45 mpg highway, the 2014 Fiesta SE Ecoboost 1.0 turbeau I3) manual hatchback is the most likely contender for my next car.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 18, 2013, 06:56:58 AM
At $17,900, and with 45 mpg highway, the 2014 Fiesta SE Ecoboost 1.0 turbeau I3) manual hatchback is the most likely contender for my next car.

Get the ST, it's only like 4 grand more and it still gets 38 on the highway.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 21, 2013, 09:19:09 AM
Get the ST, it's only like 4 grand more and it still gets 38 on the highway.

Premium?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 21, 2013, 09:20:29 AM
Premium?

Fuel you mean? Probably recommended but not required, it might make 5-10HP less on regular. Most modern turbo cars have enough room in their engine controls to use regular, I believe.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 21, 2013, 09:28:19 AM
Fuel you mean? Probably recommended but not required, it might make 5-10HP less on regular. Most modern turbo cars have enough room in their engine controls to use regular, I believe.

I would like to believe that, as well. And yes, of course I would like an ST that also gets way better MPG than the Accent.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 21, 2013, 09:41:03 AM
I would like to believe that, as well. And yes, of course I would like an ST that also gets way better MPG than the Accent.

It's pretty common with todays cars. Here it is, straight from the 2014 fiesta st owners manual.

FUEL QUALITY

OCTANE RECOMMENDATIONS

Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump(R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as Regular with an octane rating below 87,particularly in high altitude areas.Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on December 17, 2013, 03:55:11 AM
I wonder if the owner's manual would have that information.   I don't see how it couldn't.   That's pretty important to know.
Did you get that new Audi yet?
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 21, 2013, 10:15:34 AM
Did you get that new Audi yet?

I'm going to the dealer on Tuesday.  I wanted to go today, but I wasn't ready.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on December 21, 2013, 10:20:50 AM
I'm going to the dealer on Tuesday.  I wanted to go today, but I wasn't ready.
Ahhh...Christmas present to yourself.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman