Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on December 30, 2013, 12:53:07 AM
That blue is so dark it does look black in some photos.  What's the name of that color?
Moonlight blue
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on December 30, 2013, 04:01:11 AM
Moonlight blue

Cool, cool.

By the way, you should have your nephew or someone come over and teach you how to crop and resize photos.  Your sig pic is huge!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on December 30, 2013, 12:53:07 AM
That blue is so dark it does look black in some photos.  What's the name of that color?

Blueish black.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on December 30, 2013, 04:01:11 AM
Moonlight blue

It's similar to the Monaco Blue my dad has on his 5er. Great choice on the interior and exterior colors, one of my favorite color combos on a car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lebowski

Dave what color did you end up getting?

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Yes, excellent Internetry.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on December 30, 2013, 07:15:11 AM
Cool, cool.

By the way, you should have your nephew or someone come over and teach you how to crop and resize photos.  Your sig pic is huge!

Quote from: Rupert on December 29, 2013, 03:31:35 PM
Holy hell that's generous!

Try this for the sig:

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 30, 2013, 10:04:41 AM
It's similar to the Monaco Blue my dad has on his 5er. Great choice on the interior and exterior colors, one of my favorite color combos on a car.

Thanks man.  You'd love to drive this car.  It's so responsive to the right foot.  The 2006 (though not the 2001) 5er seems heavy and ponderous in comparison.

giant_mtb

Quote from: TBR on December 27, 2013, 03:15:13 PM
IDK what the fee structure is like for debit cards in the USA actually..there might just be a fixed fee per transaction now that I think about it. Not really sure. I get the impression that debit cards are much more widely used in Europe than in the US. Not really sure why that is.

It's fixed for the most part.

2o6

Depending on how my finances look with my new job (I start soon here) since it's a substantial bump in pay, I might ditch the Yaris and buy a CPO one of these. Just a passive thought. I'm not 100% sure yet

It would last me through school, and since the Yaris is over the 100K mark, finding a CPO A, B or C segment hatchback/sedan wouldn't be so bad

Eye of the Tiger

How soon can you get a sweet Chevy discount?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 19, 2014, 07:38:06 PM
How soon can you get a sweet Chevy discount?

Probably a week here.

Kinda sucks, at my old job I got a Chevy, Nissan, Hyundai and Mitsubishi discount.

Or I might buy another Yaris, but a hatchback. I don't know.

Eye of the Tiger

Go for the turbo Sonic, eh.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 19, 2014, 07:48:18 PM
Go for the turbo Sonic, eh.

See, this is a double-edged sword.

After working at my old Chevy dealer, I am now turned off to the 1.4T.

The 1.8L isn't all that great, but at least I know it's generally reliable.

I still like the Sonic, but at my old dealer, I probably would have bought an Accent from our Hyundai store.

ifcar

If you haven't already driven one, the 1.8-liter Sonic has a mushy manual transmission. I wouldn't recommend that at all; Mazda2 and Accent are both very strong choices with the stick. And in my experience, the Mazda easily beats EPA ratings.

Eye of the Tiger

So the turbo isn't quite reliable? Can't be as bad as a diesel Cruze.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on January 19, 2014, 07:53:41 PM
If you haven't already driven one, the 1.8-liter Sonic has a mushy manual transmission. I wouldn't recommend that at all; Mazda2 and Accent are both very strong choices with the stick. And in my experience, the Mazda easily beats EPA ratings.

I didn't find that, and I worked at a Chevrolet Dealer. I don't like Hyundai manuals at all; and the Mazda is out of my new job's dealer network. Obviously working at a Chevy dealer, anything GM bumps up higher.

Rupert

You should keep the Yaris until you're out if school.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

2o6

Maybe an Accent, they aren't bad cars.

ifcar

The current Accent has a pretty nice manual in my experience. Not as precise as the Mazda2 or Fit, but not terribly far off the mark.

Eye of the Tiger

SJ_GTI

(Yes I realize I am really late to this conversation)

Quote from: Raza  on November 07, 2013, 11:42:55 AM
I took a guess.  I was close though. 

It would sound funny coming from me too, it wasn't a swipe or anything.  I'm 30 or so and I only have a 2 seater, on summer tires, in the northeast.

You aren't that unusual. I was in my mid-late 20's when I bought my Z3 as my only car. I only had summer tires my first winter with it, but I regretted it. It actually had an LSD, but it still had trouble going uphill even with a slight snowfall.

dazzleman

Northlands

Quote from: Rupert on January 19, 2014, 08:47:02 PM
You should keep the Yaris until you're out if school.

That's what I was thinking.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Laconian

Yeah, best to use as little debt as you need, no sense on taking on more..
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I didn't ask for that advice.....it was just a thought.  :rolleyes:

Rupert

IMO, it's fine to be a little financially reckless with cars (*ahem*), but in my extensive experience, you should have the income to support it. Not even a huge income, just enough that you don't worry about the month-to-month expenses and enough in savings for emergencies. Doubly so when you don't have a parental safety net.

/avuncular rant

Sorry, we just can't help ourselves. :P

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 2o6 on January 20, 2014, 02:34:52 PM
I didn't ask for that advice.....it was just a thought.  :rolleyes:

This is CarSPIN. You will get the advice whether you want it or not.  :praise:

MrH

I actually don't think it's too terrible of an idea.  Sell the Yaris for $8,000, get a Mazda2 for $11,000?  $3000 additional to get your daily driver back down to a mileage range where your maintenance costs are low?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV