Help

Started by Klackamas, October 04, 2012, 10:41:24 AM

Submariner

Quote from: Klackamas on October 09, 2012, 08:33:11 PM
If I get my left knee fixed, I might just take you up on that.

Of course, you realize parking the Crown Vic anywhere in Germany will be a problem.

Scheiss angeber braucht drei Parkpl?tze!!!  ;)

Edit: Has MB gotten rid of the column shifter for some models? I just did a build of a 2013 E-class coupe and cabriolet and it looks like the shifter is in the center from the interior shots. The sedan and wagon show them still on the column? Could this be? Did Stuttgart wake up?

That's how it's been sense the release of those models.  Why they do it is beyond me. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sportyaccordy

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 07, 2012, 04:32:24 PM
Well, yeah.  Technically, they're cool as hell.  But the fact that the "primitive" motors of Ford and GM still compete, work, and sell by the millions is more interesting to me than BMW gaining .03% efficiency because they fitted a new internal nipple to the bleed valve on the positron converter... :lol:
Yup... nobody is buying BMW crate motors... or even snatching them out of the legions of junked x40i cars

I mean you compare the LS1 to a same year BMW V8... from everything but a refinement POV LS1 walks away easily.

Raza

If I get my left knee fixed, I might just take you up on that.

Of course, you realize parking the Crown Vic anywhere in Germany will be a problem.

Scheiss angeber braucht drei Parkpl?tze!!!  ;)

Edit: Has MB gotten rid of the column shifter for some models? I just did a build of a 2013 E-class coupe and cabriolet and it looks like the shifter is in the center from the interior shots. The sedan and wagon show them still on the column? Could this be? Did Stuttgart wake up?

The E class coupe is C class based, which could explain the different positioning. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on October 10, 2012, 09:17:54 AM
The E class coupe is C class based, which could explain the different positioning. 

True.  Everything is shift by wire in those, so it wouldn't be hard for them to relocate things anyways.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on October 10, 2012, 09:17:54 AM

Actually, the current E coupe is actually (mostly) E-class based (shares 60%+ of its mechanicals).  It's CLK predecessors were C-class based.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on October 10, 2012, 02:52:20 PM
Actually, the current E coupe is actually (mostly) E-class based (shares 60%+ of its mechanicals).  It's CLK predecessors were C-class based.

Are you sure?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: SVT32V on October 05, 2012, 04:16:31 PM

If that's a press photo it's impressive that the panel gaps didn't even line up when it was new.

I still want one though!

SVT666

There's a guy in town with a supercharged Marauder.  We have a show'n shine here every summer where they do burnouts on the main drag that goes along the beach and he lights 'em up pretty good.

850CSi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 10, 2012, 08:55:44 AM
Yup... nobody is buying BMW crate motors... or even snatching them out of the legions of junked x40i cars

Oooooh I want one!

cawimmer430

Not if it has LAPD markings and a diplomatic US plate. The local cops will back-off and I am free to park anywhere I wish!  :praise:

Quote from: Klackamas on October 09, 2012, 08:33:11 PMScheiss angeber braucht drei Parkpl?tze!!!  ;)

:lol:

Quote from: Klackamas on October 09, 2012, 08:33:11 PMEdit: Has MB gotten rid of the column shifter for some models? I just did a build of a 2013 E-class coupe and cabriolet and it looks like the shifter is in the center from the interior shots. The sedan and wagon show them still on the column? Could this be? Did Stuttgart wake up?

Those must be press photos of a 4-cylinder E-Class sedan/coupe/wagon interior. Only the 4-cylinders have a center console automatic and manual transmission whereas the 6-cylinders and V8s all have a column shift (and no M/T option).

It's not that hard to operate, though. My father's E350 CGI has a column shifter and I have zero problems operating it and when coming from a 1-Series whose shifter is in the center console.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on October 09, 2012, 10:26:40 PM
That's how it's been sense the release of those models.  Why they do it is beyond me. 

They did it because it frees up more space in the center console for small storage bins for things like pocket change, cup holders etc.

From a practicality perspective it's rather welcome. Also, there are paddle shifters behind the wheel which allow the driver to "shift manually" and engage the A/T transmission. Our E350 CGI has that. The few times I drive that car though I don't use them because I feel the 7Gtronic is always in the right gear and shift up or down when I need it to. There's also the C-S-M modes (Comfort-Sport-Manual) and there's a big difference between Comfort and Sport mode. I always put it in Sport - makes the transmission more responsive and shift-eager.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Eh, I hate it.  It's stupid.  Yes, you have bigger cupholders, but you need to visually confirm that the car is in the gear you want it to be in when stopping or setting off or reversing, rather than feeling the physical position of a gated shifter. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28201.msg1792470#msg1792470 date=1350050871
Eh, I hate it.  It's stupid.  Yes, you have bigger cupholders, but you need to visually confirm that the car is in the gear you want it to be in when stopping or setting off or reversing, rather than feeling the physical position of a gated shifter.  

It's not that hard. There's a display right in front of you that tells you in which position the gear is in. And if you manually shift using the paddle shifters you can also remember what gear you're in...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 12, 2012, 08:11:14 AM
It's not that hard.

I never said it was hard.  I said it was stupid. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on October 12, 2012, 11:02:13 AM
I never said it was hard.  I said it was stupid. 

Geez. Then go and drive a manual transmission! Oh wait... :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Klackamas

Column shifter is going backwards. It reminds me of some 1950's/1960's cars. It just doesn't fit. It's crap. It sucks. It blows.

BTW, those aren't press photos. That's from building the E-350 coupe/cabriolet on their site and looking at the interior as built.

Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Klackamas on October 14, 2012, 10:01:36 AM
Column shifter is going backwards. It reminds me of some 1950's/1960's cars. It just doesn't fit. It's crap. It sucks. It blows.

I prefer center console shifters to, but a column shift isn't that hard to get used to. I kind of enjoy it when I drove my dads E350 CGI.

Quote from: Klackamas on October 14, 2012, 10:01:36 AMBTW, those aren't press photos. That's from building the E-350 coupe/cabriolet on their site and looking at the interior as built.

They probably used the stock photo of a European-model 4-cylinder E-Class Coupe/Convertible. All V6s and V8s have the column shifter.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on October 12, 2012, 08:07:51 AM
Eh, I hate it.  It's stupid.  Yes, you have bigger cupholders, but you need to visually confirm that the car is in the gear you want it to be in when stopping or setting off or reversing, rather than feeling the physical position of a gated shifter. 
You can also release the brake :lol:

That's one strike against paddle shift cars w/no lever though. No brake torque at idle... have to gas it to figure out what gear its in. One thing I didn't like about the F430

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 15, 2012, 06:06:54 AM
They probably used the stock photo of a European-model 4-cylinder E-Class Coupe/Convertible. All V6s and V8s have the column shifter.  ;)

Not here, they don't. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on October 15, 2012, 10:40:42 AM
Not here, they don't. 

They must.

All 4-cylinder E-Classes, gas and diesel, have their manual transmission / automatic transmission shifters in the center console.

All V6 and V8 models have the column shift A/T.

There are no exceptions.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 15, 2012, 12:54:52 PM
They must.

All 4-cylinder E-Classes, gas and diesel, have their manual transmission / automatic transmission shifters in the center console.

All V6 and V8 models have the column shift A/T.

There are no exceptions.
Coupes get console shifters, sedans get column shifters

Here at least. W/the V6 + V8... we dont get the 4 pot E classes

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 15, 2012, 02:35:32 PM
Coupes get console shifters, sedans get column shifters

Here at least. W/the V6 + V8... we dont get the 4 pot E classes

Whoops, my bad. I forgot that the coupes/convertibles have a console shifter even in V6/V8 form.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Klackamas, here is your E-Class.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Klackamas

Genau. Das auto ist top.

Jetzt brauch ich nur ein wohnung im Zermatt und auch eins im Berlin und die autobahn zwischen die zwei (ohne Geschwindigkeit und stau).

:ohyeah:

Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Klackamas on October 17, 2012, 07:59:51 PM
Genau. Das auto ist top.

Jetzt brauch ich nur ein wohnung im Zermatt und auch eins im Berlin und die autobahn zwischen die zwei (ohne Geschwindigkeit und stau).

:ohyeah:

:lol:

You're gonna love how this baby performs on the Autobahn. Effortless and smooth and quiet acceleration to the high speeds. Totally enjoyable.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de