MT reviews Midsized Sedans

Started by 2o6, October 05, 2012, 07:23:44 AM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on October 05, 2012, 09:00:11 AM
Okay, so I read the review.  There's not a whole lot going on at work today. 

Yes, it's poorly written.  Kevin's right, they do try to be clever and fail.  But, it wasn't a bad review.  They weren't nitpicky, and they did a good job of prioritizing what would be important to a midsize buyer.  They talked about gas mileage and interior room, they mentioned which one was the sportiest and best to drive, but didn't place it at the top of the review just because it was the sportiest. 

That said, my choice would be the Fusion, with the 1.6T and the 6 speed manual.  Although, after getting my friend into the Passat when he was considering the Camry, I feel reassured. 
I've been hearing the 1.6T is laggy as hell and is just overloaded with that big ass body

One thing I will say, MT FINALLY didn't pick the new domestic as a winner, which is downright shocking.

2o6

I question your guys driving style. Do you guys have your foot to the floor all the time!?

Besides, I keep hearing the total opposite about the 1.6T.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 16, 2012, 09:27:40 AM
I've been hearing the 1.6T is laggy as hell and is just overloaded with that big ass body

One thing I will say, MT FINALLY didn't pick the new domestic as a winner, which is downright shocking.

Eh, at least it's a turbo and not some dumb NA engine.  I miss having a turbo so much.  And a manual transmission.  No more "I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU YOU DON'T WANT TO DOWNSHIFT HERE YOU SHOULD BE IN 6TH YOU'RE ALREADY DOING 35MPH WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU" bullshit. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on October 16, 2012, 09:32:46 AM
I question your guys driving style. Do you guys have your foot to the floor all the time!?

Besides, I keep hearing the total opposite about the 1.6T.

Pretty much yes.  I drive very aggressively.  I even have a blog about it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on October 16, 2012, 09:32:46 AM

Yes.  You don't?  Get the fuck out.

CJ

Not everyone can afford the fuel costs associated with that style of driving.

SVT666

Quote from: CJ on October 16, 2012, 11:48:23 AM
Lamest. Excuse. Ever.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CJ on October 16, 2012, 11:48:23 AM

So you buy a smaller car and drive the shit out of it!

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TBR

Plus some of us drive cars with 180k miles and leaking head gaskets so figure pushing hard is tempting fate....

I drive fast, but not quickly, if that makes sense.

CJ

Quote from: SVT666 on October 16, 2012, 11:56:44 AM
Lamest. Excuse. Ever.

If I drove full throttle everywhere, then my fuel costs would likely double.  I'd go from $120/mo on fuel to $240/mo. That's a huge leap.  Starbucks doesn't pay that well and I do have insurance and my credit card bill to pay.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2012, 11:06:26 AM
Eh, at least it's a turbo and not some dumb NA engine.  I miss having a turbo so much.  And a manual transmission.  No more "I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU YOU DON'T WANT TO DOWNSHIFT HERE YOU SHOULD BE IN 6TH YOU'RE ALREADY DOING 35MPH WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU" bullshit. 

1. What makes a 178-hp turbo so much better than "some dumb" 178-hp NA engine?

2. Bimmer doesn't have a manual transmission???

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 16, 2012, 07:12:50 PM
1. What makes a 178-hp turbo so much better than "some dumb" 178-hp NA engine?

2. Bimmer doesn't have a manual transmission???

1.  The turbo is what makes it better.  Duh.

2.  Yes, of course my BMW is a manual.  You're talking to me.  Of course I got a manual.  That was non-negotiable.  But the Fusion was the only one in this test that had a manual transmission; everything else had an automatic. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2012, 10:03:49 PM
1.  The turbo is what makes it better.  Duh.

Meh. 178 hp is 178 hp. But I prefer my engines not to be all laggy and shit.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 17, 2012, 12:10:24 AM

Turbos are just better.  Airwolf had turbos.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28206.msg1794186#msg1794186 date=1350473704
Turbos are just better.  Airwolf had turbos.

In helicopters, the entire engine is a giant turbo.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 17, 2012, 12:10:24 AM

The power curve in the 1.6T is much broader, and makes power sooner and longer than the 2.5L.

850CSi

Quote from: CJ on October 16, 2012, 04:53:40 PM

If I drove full throttle everywhere, then my fuel costs would likely double. 

No.

cawimmer430

Quote from: TBR on October 16, 2012, 04:34:33 PM
Plus some of us drive cars with 180k miles and leaking head gaskets so figure pushing hard is tempting fate....

You guys really need a T?V.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 18, 2012, 05:27:27 AM

Will TUV tell you that? I've always got the gist that it really is only for car road worthiness (busted suspension members, bad tires, bent frame, ect) rather than faulty mechanicals (Head gasket, ect).

TBR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 18, 2012, 05:27:27 AM

Uh, why? So that I can spend $2k on a repair that doesn't impact the car's near term reliability or drive-ability? Don't even need to put oil in it between changes.

Colin

Quote from: 2o6 on October 18, 2012, 10:50:47 AM
Will TUV tell you that? I've always got the gist that it really is only for car road worthiness (busted suspension members, bad tires, bent frame, ect) rather than faulty mechanicals (Head gasket, ect).
Don't know about the TUV, but what you say is true for the British MOT. It is all road worthiness and safety nothing more.

Atomic

Quote from: Submariner on October 14, 2012, 08:05:03 PM
Which is annoying, because it's really good looking inside and out. 

I am liking it more and more. I never disliked this new model at all. It's just that the outgoing Malibu was one of the sharpest looking GM designs in decades, IMO.

Raza

Quote from: Colin on October 19, 2012, 03:24:25 AM
Don't know about the TUV, but what you say is true for the British MOT. It is all road worthiness and safety nothing more.

MOT seems a lot like inspection here, but more rigorous.  In my state, inspection checks tires, brakes, emissions, and little else. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Inspections are a waste of money. The amount of accidents caused by malfunctioning cars alone is pretty small.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 19, 2012, 07:18:39 AM
Inspections are a waste of money. The amount of accidents caused by malfunctioning cars alone is pretty small.

Agreed. Drivers, however, malfunction quite often. I vote for annual driver inspections.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 19, 2012, 07:23:00 AM
Agreed. Drivers, however, malfunction quite often. I vote for annual driver inspections.

You have rarely made more sense than this.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on October 18, 2012, 10:50:47 AM

They pop the hood while the engine is running and do an inspection of the engine bay. If there's a problem with the engine, they might discover it. They won't fix it - that's your job - but they'll make you aware of the problem and depending on the severity of the issue write you out a warning/fine.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: TBR on October 18, 2012, 09:24:26 PM
Uh, why? So that I can spend $2k on a repair that doesn't impact the car's near term reliability or drive-ability? Don't even need to put oil in it between changes.

Is this the typical attitude? You don't want to fix something that's broken because the car still drives?

I'd say a leaking head gasket is a big problem waiting to happen. One of these days your car will break down because the head gasket completely broke apart causing fuel and oil to spill all over the engine bay causing damage.

www.wimmerfotografie.de