2014 Subaru Forester: Well, it Looks Better Anyway...

Started by Atomic, October 14, 2012, 07:34:21 AM

Atomic

AutobahnSHO

meh, looks too much like a Toyota or whatever.

I wasn't a fan of the original Forester but really liked the 2008 redesign.
Will

ifcar

Taillights look awkward, but I otherwise like it. Clean and simple.

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on October 14, 2012, 08:41:12 AM
Taillights look awkward, but I otherwise like it. Clean and simple.

I agree with both of you (^) and am also amazed that Subaru is using such a simple front grille design and emblem that now appears to be gracing its entire line-up (2013-14), except perhaps for its joint venture coupe shared with Scion.

Speed_Racer

MrH

Are they finally getting rid of that junk 4-speed auto?

I was going to suggest a Forester for my mom, but can't do it with good faith with how shitty that transmission is.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on October 14, 2012, 01:39:45 PM

I was going to suggest a Forester for my mom, but can't do it with good faith with how shitty that transmission is.

Probably powertains lifted from the Impreza....CVT auto maybe.

S204STi

Quote from: MrH on October 14, 2012, 01:39:45 PM

Yeah, looks like it's going CVT.  Should be at least more effective than the 4EAT in most regards. 

I'm bummed that the turbo is a CVT-only motor (at least for Japan).

Laconian

I've never tried a turbo+CVT before. Shouldn't it be superior to a traditional automatic?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on October 14, 2012, 07:21:41 PM
I've never tried a turbo+CVT before. Shouldn't it be superior to a traditional automatic?

If it's like the Nissan Juke I've driven, there's an akward latency for the turbo to spool up, and the CVT to select the right ratio, but when it does those two things it's almost always on boost. Which is cool.

S204STi

Quote from: Laconian on October 14, 2012, 07:21:41 PM

Definitely. I just would prefer the old 5-speed with it's ultra-short 1st gear for mild OHV driving.

Better still would be a 6spd with similar gearing and a short final drive.

S204STi

Though I suppose, if they could program the CVT with an offroad mode (stays in a shorter ratio), with a short final drive, that could be fine for that sort of use. 

Galaxy

Modern 8 speed autos have a wider gear ratio then CVTs. However using the CVT as a transfer case sounds nifty.

TurboDan

I've always had a soft spot for the Forester but I don't really like this one. Seems like they made it more generic looking, like a cheap Toyota or something. The current generation looks a lot nicer, in my opinion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TurboDan on October 15, 2012, 04:30:07 PM
... Seems like they made it more generic looking, like a cheap Toyota or something. The current generation looks a lot nicer, in my opinion.

+1
Will

Colin

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 14, 2012, 01:19:07 PM
Looks better than the Legacy.
........ that's damning with faint praise, is it not?

The latest Legacy is a mix of bland and awkward in saloon guise and just plain gauche in Estate/Outback form.

Subaru really do seem to be masters at goofing up the styling of their product, with nearly every new car a visual un-improvement on the model it replaces. It does not seem to have hurt US sales but with the exception of the Swiss, it has all but ended sales in the rest of Europe, as no-one wants its products any more. 

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

I fear Subaru is chasing sales too much. The market is fickle, trying to break sales records will just mean a devaluation of the brand.

They made their way by giving the customer what was unavailable everywhere else- they should do that rather than try to get everyone.
Will

2o6

...what did their brand stand for?

It's always been pretty generic, if not ugly.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on October 18, 2012, 10:04:42 PM
...what did their brand stand for?

It's always been pretty generic, if not ugly.

1970s= only 4wd car
1980s= quirky awd
1990s= awd wagons, OUTBACK, weird SVX
2000s= Outback, Forester, both very useful SUVs. WRX, STI= sport.

Sedan sales were always very very low versus hatchback and wagon.
Will

2o6

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on October 19, 2012, 09:00:17 PM
Their niche is evaporating.

Time to re-invent then? :huh:    And they had 3% of car sales in the US before the recession- they grew sales every year from 2008 until today. They shouldn't be chasing more than that, the mainstream will never completely fall in love with Subie like they did Honda or Toyota.

Anyway, not a whole lot of capable wagons still exist. Sure many stole sales with crossovers and whatnot, but if they are to continue with fuel economy advances they could take some more of the littler car market.

ALSO- saw a commercial last night from Lexus, they show some hot sedans passing each other (pointless) but then their supercar passes them all. Subie needs to advertise the crap out of the BRZ- just to draw people to the showroom, even if they don't have any in stock..  (and should advertise the WRX and STI.) That "sporty" image is what validates all the lesser models to the dummies out there.
Will

Raza

They do advertise the crap out of the Impreza these days.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 23, 2012, 05:46:03 AM
Time to re-invent then? :huh:    And they had 3% of car sales in the US before the recession- they grew sales every year from 2008 until today. They shouldn't be chasing more than that, the mainstream will never completely fall in love with Subie like they did Honda or Toyota.

Anyway, not a whole lot of capable wagons still exist. Sure many stole sales with crossovers and whatnot, but if they are to continue with fuel economy advances they could take some more of the littler car market.

ALSO- saw a commercial last night from Lexus, they show some hot sedans passing each other (pointless) but then their supercar passes them all. Subie needs to advertise the crap out of the BRZ- just to draw people to the showroom, even if they don't have any in stock..  (and should advertise the WRX and STI.) That "sporty" image is what validates all the lesser models to the dummies out there.

:wtf:

Subaru shouldn't be trying to expand and get a bigger portion of the market? Are you insane? They're running a business, obviously they'll want to compete as much as they can with other competitors. To limit themselves just because they want to be a niche player is ridiculous.

And why would you advertise the crap out of the BRZ if you have none in stock? The people who want to buy BRZ's already know about them, and they're always out of stock on those. Why would you want to lure people into the showrooms if you don't have any? It's not like a person interested in a BRZ will be interested in an Impreza.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on October 23, 2012, 10:29:52 AM
:wtf:

Subaru shouldn't be trying to expand and get a bigger portion of the market? Are you insane? They're running a business, obviously they'll want to compete as much as they can with other competitors. To limit themselves just because they want to be a niche player is ridiculous.

Not saying to "limit themselves"- however they can't sacrifice long-term brand health for short-term "water the brand down"..   The things that kept Subaru from losing sales during the recession were it's "quirkiness"- lose that and they become just another car company..

Quote from: Raza  on October 23, 2012, 09:29:37 AM
They do advertise the crap out of the Impreza these days.

Saw a commercial yesterday- kids are washing the car and they also get the suds all over the interior. Dad comes out (there's also an outback in the driveway) and looks at them, and says, "you missed a spot"..    :lol:
Will

2o6

Subaru was never quirky; they offered mediocre cars that aren't competitive without AWD.

Now, most manufacturers offer an AWD option on their cars, so Subaru has to fight harder.

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 23, 2012, 11:11:03 AM
Not saying to "limit themselves"- however they can't sacrifice long-term brand health for short-term "water the brand down"..   The things that kept Subaru from losing sales during the recession were it's "quirkiness"- lose that and they become just another car company..

Saw a commercial yesterday- kids are washing the car and they also get the suds all over the interior. Dad comes out (there's also an outback in the driveway) and looks at them, and says, "you missed a spot"..    :lol:

Subaru has been pushing their longevity a lot lately.  But their best commercial--and one of the best commercials period--was about the crashed Legacy. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28230.msg1797118#msg1797118 date=1351014323
Subaru has been pushing their longevity a lot lately.  But their best commercial--and one of the best commercials period--was about the crashed Legacy.  

Which ad is that?

I don't watch much TV, but they had a recent good one featuring the XV and an aging dog -- "it's not often you find a companion as loyal as a Subaru."

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on October 23, 2012, 07:16:51 PM
Which ad is that?

I don't watch much TV, but they had a recent good one featuring the XV and an aging dog -- "it's not often you find a companion as loyal as a Subaru."

This one.

I agree with Raza, great ad.

http://youtu.be/hbUsnvsXlMQ

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on October 23, 2012, 11:24:55 AM
Subaru was never quirky; they offered mediocre cars that aren't competitive without AWD.

Now, most manufacturers offer an AWD option on their cars, so Subaru has to fight harder.

LoL. The guy who has a hard-on for Toyotas is complaining about a brand being "mediocre?" Toyota is the definition of mediocre, "jack of all trades, master of none" vehicles.

Their cars would certainly have been competitive without AWD, but the thing is that they DID have AWD, for a much better price than any of the other mainstream brands were pushing. I suppose you now have the opportunity to blow obscene amounts of money on the likes of a boring mainstream midsize sedan if you want the AWD option, but I'd rather just buy a Subie that has it standard.  :huh: