328i vs ATS- the verdicts are trickling in

Started by sportyaccordy, October 16, 2012, 09:34:36 AM

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on October 18, 2012, 10:42:15 AM
The Chrysler 300 is the only thing in Chrysler's portfolio at the moment, and upon introduction it wasn't really a credible threat to the Germans and Japanese (and arguably still isn't). Same crappy 2.7L and mediocre 3.5L from the Intrepid, and the interior really wasn't all that.

The Germans didn't sell anything that directly competed with the 300 (and arguably, still don't) and the only full-size, semi-premium car from the Japanese at the time was the thoroughly forgettable Avalon.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: Schadenfreude on October 20, 2012, 11:58:14 AM
Honestly, if the CUE system is the only gripe people have about the car, then GM has done a good job. The customers who have the cars need to fill out the feedback cards they'll be sent when purchasing car we know what needs to be done to improve the vehicles themselves (and yes, I acknowledge that the CUE system could use some tweaks/improvements, much like iDrive did when it was first released).
When CUE controls the climate control and stereo, then it's a big deal if it sucks.  Also, it's not the only thing the reviewers complain about.  Apparently the drivetrain leaves a lot to be desired.

TBR

The ATS is a really sharp looking car.

I'd definitely consider it very strongly if I was looking in this segment.

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on October 21, 2012, 12:21:36 AM
When CUE controls the climate control and stereo, then it's a big deal if it sucks.  Also, it's not the only thing the reviewers complain about.  Apparently the drivetrain leaves a lot to be desired.

I've used CUE twice - the first time I thought it was okay, but after spending a good 10 minutes with it, I wanted to punch the screen.  Saying it's "Like a tablet" is a joke - no tablet I've spent any time with was ever so confusing or slow to respond.  The haptic feedback, however, was quite cool.

But yeah, the XTS has issues - the seats are mediocre, the interior isn't all that impressive (the all black color may have played a part in that though) and it still looks ill-proportioned and bloated.  It didn't help that two of the three cars on the lot had toneau roofs...

I've been meaning to drive one, so maybe when I do I'll write up a review on how it is on the road.   
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sportyaccordy

Still cant believe this was their hail mary. Were people really clamoring for tablet interfaces in their cars? I am old school. Give me some HVAC knobs and an old Nakamichi deck. Some nice legible analog gauges. I'm straight! The worst part is they didn't even opt out.  I wonder how much CUE costs over a conventional center console.

hotrodalex

Sticking with the status quo won't make it in today's market. Luxury buyers expect new technology, not old fashioned knobs.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 22, 2012, 08:23:34 PM
Sticking with the status quo won't make it in today's market. Luxury buyers expect new technology, not old fashioned knobs.
New technology /= better

2o6

+1

GoCougs

May not be perfect but without even using it I can tell with 100% accuracy CUE is WAY better than the goofy joystick COMAND, iDrive, and MMI...

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on October 22, 2012, 09:49:36 PM
May not be perfect but without even using it I can tell with 100% accuracy CUE is WAY better than the goofy joystick COMAND, iDrive, and MMI...

Pro-tip, it isn't. 

Granted, COMAND, i-Drive and MMI have been around for many years and have undergone numerous revisions, but CUE isn't anything magical like the commercials claim it to be. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

iDrive is actually pretty decent now.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on October 22, 2012, 09:17:18 PM
New technology /= better

I agree. But the market wants what the market wants.

SVT666

The controls in my G37 are nice, but I would still prefer a silky smooth really rich feeling rotary knob (turning it would feel like turning the volume knob on a Denon or Harmon/Kardon stereo receiver) over the buttons.

Galaxy

Not necessarily. Even with MMI, and Command Audi, and Mercedes have gone back from digital screens with buttons, to analog solid metal rotary knobs for things like temp control. Good mechanical objects are also a luxury. Especially when every cheap entry phone now has a touch screen.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 22, 2012, 02:46:46 PM
Still cant believe this was their hail mary. Were people really clamoring for tablet interfaces in their cars? I am old school. Give me some HVAC knobs and an old Nakamichi deck. Some nice legible analog gauges. I'm straight! The worst part is they didn't even opt out.  I wonder how much CUE costs over a conventional center console.

People like screens nowadays.  It makes the car feel high tech and expensive. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Have you used ANY of these systems

-----------------------------------------

I think people like redundancy + reliability over (untested + unpolished) new-ism. Remember all the backlash over iDrive? Huge part of that was the inability to just do things regularly. Who wants to scroll through menus to adjust their seat?

At the end of the day interiors still have to be functional, and I think GM + Ford have dropped the ball w/these new systems. They should have stuck with conventional systems and put that money towards better interior materials & engine tuning.

2o6

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on October 23, 2012, 09:15:19 AM
None of you have driven the car.

:rolleyes:
Sub experienced one of its biggest issues (CUE)

Its not a sports car, even if they dynamics are awesome the wonky ergos are a legitimate deal breaker. Its not like its an Elise or something, people buy these cars because they want a sports car but need something more practical... or they want a practical car w/more content/panache than a Camry

2o6

You didn't like it from the start, now you're just reaching.

Other competitors aren't perfect.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Raza  on October 23, 2012, 07:00:06 AM
People like screens nowadays.  It makes the car feel high tech and expensive. 

I don't even like touch control stacks. Why would you design something where you have to take your gloves off to turn up the heat?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on October 23, 2012, 09:35:29 AM
You didn't like it from the start, now you're just reaching.

Other competitors aren't perfect.
I don't feel one way or another about the car itself; its the car in the context of market conditions and GM

And I never said its competitors are perfect, you're the one reaching. All I am saying is competition is STIFF, and this car is off the mark with some fundamental issues its competitors don't have. Do any of its competitors require you to go through menus to change fan speed?

I'm also saying GM was kind of stupid to dive into one of the most competitive segments with a car benchmarked on a model from 2 generations ago, and other features (engines etc) ranging from "just competitive" to "not good enough". Chassis is good, but powertrain, interface, pricing, practicality are all at best "OK". And this is supposed to be the car that steals market share from the 3 series?

Raza

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 23, 2012, 09:41:22 AM
I don't even like touch control stacks. Why would you design something where you have to take your gloves off to turn up the heat?

I agree.  Each button and knob should do one thing and one thing only, and be clearly marked.  Buttons are good. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't even have to look at the Accent's controls, or remove my alleged gloves. There are these three dialy things, but they aren't perfectly round. The shape points at selections, so you can feel what it's pointing at. Amazing technology.

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 23, 2012, 10:01:04 AM
I don't even have to look at the Accent's controls, or remove my alleged gloves. There are these three dialy things, but they aren't perfectly round. The shape points at selections, so you can feel what it's pointing at. Amazing technology.

Same with the Z4.  Gloves on or off, I mostly use the steering wheel controls. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

I have more experience with CUE and the competing systems than all of you.  To say that's the big fault of the car...?  Wow, this thing better win car of the year.  The CUE system is the best in the industry, IMO.  All done in house at GM too, which is the most impressive thing.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

For all my shit talking about touch screens, I do want a navigation tablet for the bike. But I wouldn't be fiddling on it with the move

MrH

I get it, you want this ATS to be shit.  But you haven't used CUE at all, have you?  It's ten times more intuitive than what BMW, Audi, and MB are bringing to the table.  Sure, touch screen buttons are kind of stupid, I agree, but I was blown away by how quick and easy to figure out it was compared to the competitors.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 23, 2012, 10:12:06 AM
For all my shit talking about touch screens, I do want a navigation tablet for the bike. But I wouldn't be fiddling on it with the move

As long as it is pressure sensative like my Garmin, and not heat sensative like myPhone.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on October 23, 2012, 10:14:03 AM
I get it, you want this ATS to be shit.  But you haven't used CUE at all, have you?  It's ten times more intuitive than what BMW, Audi, and MB are bringing to the table. 
You are the only person to have ever said this in the history of the world.