I wonder if things would be different if.....

Started by 2o6, October 16, 2012, 02:14:05 PM

MexicoCityM3

And a personal what if:

What if my dad hadn't worked at a BMW dealership back in the mid 90's (when BMW entered the mexican market), I wouldn't have test driven an E36 325i and I would have kept on thinking how could a car of that size be so outrageously priced instead of discovering that it actually was a cheap car for how it drove?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

What if the Damiler Chrysler merger never happened?

Vinsanity

If I never got into the wreck in the TL, I might have sold it to a buddy of mine who ended up buying a 2007 TL of his own earlier this year. Would've been a good opportuity for myself to buy a 2nd gen CTS, or maybe a BMW E92 convertible.

sportyaccordy

Man folks are asking some good questions.

What if the American auto industry didn't get bailed out... the first time?

Rich

I've been wondering about that... what if in 2008-2010 there were no bailouts and whatnot.  Could an economy collapse/retract into 0?  The retraction would have been a cycle of lost jobs/less economic activity, driving each other to less and less. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

TBR

He said the first time, so probably talking about Chrysler in the '80s.

sportyaccordy

Yea I was talking about the first time. These companies have no survival instinct, they are like domesticated animals in the wild w/protection from the govt

Rich

When I said "I was wondering about that..." I was referring to a hypothetical non bail out situation in general.  I referenced the 2008-2010 timeframe, because that's the one I my mind gravitated to.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Vinsanity

What if the Lexus brand never took off?

I'd guess that our market for premium cars would look a lot like Europe's, with Alfa, Saab, and Peugeot still hanging in there. And without the price pressure caused by Lexus, the products offered by top-tier M-B and BMW would be substantially more expensive (C-class starting at $60k, anyone?)

And without pressure to compete with a newcomer, Cadillac and Lincoln would have been more stubborn in abandoning the old American way of luxury. The modern-day Cadillac Seville and Lincoln Continental would bear a strong resemblance to reality's XTS and MKwhatever, though, at least mechanically.

93JC

Car prices overall have been pretty stagnant for a long time. It's not likely that there would be "C-classes starting at $60k". The US market in particular is extremely price-sensitive; Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc. would have priced themselves out of the market if their low-end cars started at $60k.

850CSi

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 19, 2012, 07:46:20 PM
And a personal what if:

What if my dad hadn't worked at a BMW dealership back in the mid 90's (when BMW entered the mexican market)

Wait, you guys didn't have BMWs before the mid-90s?

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 850CSi on October 28, 2012, 09:19:43 PM
Wait, you guys didn't have BMWs before the mid-90s?

No, BMW entered the Mexican market for the '95 model year only. Our auto market was pretty closed before NAFTA and a round of trade deals worldwide. It was closed in the early 70's and only reopened in the 90'2. Mercedes-Benz was here before the 70's closure and returned in the early 90's a few years before BMW. BMW was never here before the 90's.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

850CSi

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 28, 2012, 09:22:01 PM
No, BMW entered the Mexican market for the '95 model year only. Our auto market was pretty closed before NAFTA and a round of trade deals worldwide. It was closed in the early 70's and only reopened in the 90'2. Mercedes-Benz was here before the 70's closure and returned in the early 90's a few years before BMW. BMW was never here before the 90's.

Wow. I grew up with BMWs - my parents had an E32 7er (and later on, an E38 7er, an X3, and an X5) and my uncle had various BMWs all over his dealership.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 850CSi on October 28, 2012, 09:35:20 PM
Wow. I grew up with BMWs - my parents had an E32 7er (and later on, an E38 7er, an X3, and an X5) and my uncle had various BMWs all over his dealership.

First BMW I ever drove was an E36 325i automatic sedan demo car from the first dealer here. My dad is a friend of the guy who brought BMW back in Mexico (and Porsche too, initially). So he got work at the BMW dealership (he had previous extensive experience at a Chrysler dealership owned by that family).
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)