Infiniti World Takeover continues with steer-by-wire

Started by Laconian, October 17, 2012, 09:40:29 AM

850CSi

Lebowski

I'm not sure about world takeover, the only desirable product in their lineup is the G, which is basically just the cheaper compromise vs. a 3er.

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on October 17, 2012, 06:22:51 PM
I'm not sure about world takeover, the only desirable product in their lineup is the G, which is basically just the cheaper compromise vs. superior to a 3er.

MexicoCityM3

No brand has been able to get EPS feel 100% well, not even Porsche. This is even tougher. So Infiniti wil go from best to maybe last in class in steering feel. Word.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 17, 2012, 01:34:26 PM
Hard Drivin' by Atari. My favourite arcade game ever. It's how I learned to drive stick.

I liked the one where you drove and shot a gun with a partner who would also shoot a gun. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28245.msg1794652#msg1794652 date=1350528815
Nissans suck. 
You suck.

TurboDan

A number of boats are now "steer by wire" (Mercury Verado DTS engines, for example) and the "by wire" part really just makes the response faster, which in a boat is very useful (unlike, in my opinion, a car). It's still driven by a power steering pump like before. If the alternator goes, or there is some other type of loss of power, it reverts to a traditional hydraulic power steering application.

My assumption is that the same would apply to a car.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on October 17, 2012, 09:51:04 PM
You suck.

BMWs, esp. 3ers, have become a caricature of a caricature of snobbishness; $40k+ for a 4-cyl compact??? BMW simply couldn't build a G sedan if it wanted to.

Laconian

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 17, 2012, 02:24:20 PM
YES
I fucking HATED that game! When you'd crash it would do replays that would chew away at your tiny-ass playtime quota.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

850CSi

Quote from: GoCougs on October 17, 2012, 10:44:32 PM
BMWs, esp. 3ers, have become a caricature of a caricature of snobbishness; $40k+ for a 4-cyl compact??? BMW simply couldn't build a G sedan if it wanted to.

hotrodalex

If it wasn't for the 3 series, the G wouldn't exist.

850CSi

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 17, 2012, 11:45:44 PM
If it wasn't for the 3 series, the G wouldn't exist.

I have no idea which car I'd buy in that segment right now. I don't like turbos, but I just hate the way the G looks and how heavy it is. Not really a big fan of the VQ in general when I've driven it.

I'd probably get a used E90. Surprise! :lol:

hotrodalex

I'd get a CTS-V wagon. Does that count as the same segment?

cawimmer430

Quote from: 850CSi on October 18, 2012, 12:03:51 AM
I have no idea which car I'd buy in that segment right now. I don't like turbos, but I just hate the way the G looks and how heavy it is. Not really a big fan of the VQ in general when I've driven it.

I'd probably get a used E90. Surprise! :lol:

Get a Mercedes C350 - non-turbo V6 and a smooth and excellent 7Gtronic automatic transmission!  :winkguy:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TurboDan on October 17, 2012, 10:41:35 PM
A number of boats are now "steer by wire" (Mercury Verado DTS engines, for example) and the "by wire" part really just makes the response faster, which in a boat is very useful (unlike, in my opinion, a car). It's still driven by a power steering pump like before. If the alternator goes, or there is some other type of loss of power, it reverts to a traditional hydraulic power steering application.

My assumption is that the same would apply to a car.
I mean they said right in the article if the system failed a clutch would engage a traditional steering rack. But the frenzy began long before folks got to that part of the article

3er gets 98% of the performance of the G37 with 50% of the complexity and 120% the fuel efficiency

Also has the dynamic advantage of a 200-300lb lower curb weight

And loses the price disadvantage when you compare the 3 closest in performance to the G37.... 335i is out of the G37's weight class

Not to mention, Infiniti itself was essentially selling rebadged Sentra SE-Rs w/half the HP of the 328i and FWD for an equivalent of $30K base (compared to the BMW's $34K base price)

Wouldn't be surprised if the agrarian N20 turbo had better NVH than the space age VQ37... which itself doesn't even make the torque of its stoneage by comparison, smaller displacement ancestor, the OG VQ35... which itself is coarse as hell compared to the OG OG VQ30

I like both cars but you're being silly

Laconian

And Consumer Reports reliability is all :excellent: for the G, and all :poor: for the 3. :lol:

FLAME ON!

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 18, 2012, 08:39:49 AM
3er gets 98% of the performance of the G37 with 50% of the complexity and 120% the fuel efficiency

Also has the dynamic advantage of a 200-300lb lower curb weight

And loses the price disadvantage when you compare the 3 closest in performance to the G37.... 335i is out of the G37's weight class

Not to mention, Infiniti itself was essentially selling rebadged Sentra SE-Rs w/half the HP of the 328i and FWD for an equivalent of $30K base (compared to the BMW's $34K base price)

Wouldn't be surprised if the agrarian N20 turbo had better NVH than the space age VQ37... which itself doesn't even make the torque of its stoneage by comparison, smaller displacement ancestor, the OG VQ35... which itself is coarse as hell compared to the OG OG VQ30

I like both cars but you're being silly

Let's check your premises.

Turbo engines are more complex.
Nobody cares about "weight" or MPG.
335i is a lot more expensive for at most 5% more (objective) performance.
The 37VQ owns on 3er motors of the class.
As Krazy Kev points out BMWs are PITAs to own.
Also, the G has a far better AWD system.

Ergo, the G is overall the better car despite being 7 years old.

MexicoCityM3

3 > G & Everything else.

All your base are belong to us.

/Endthread.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 17, 2012, 01:00:41 PM
When is the last time an alternator "packed it in" while you were driving? There is probably an equal possibility of your PS pump "packing it in", w/potentially more dangerous implications.

People had the same damn freakouts when DBW throttles, ABS and ESC came out, and lo and behold, many of those very same folks are driving cars equipped with all that shit and enjoying the HELL out of them. This knee jerk boy cried wolf reaction w/every new automotive safety tech is getting so damn tired.

I had an accessory belt tensioner go on my car which in turn shredded the belt that ran my alternator.  In the short distance I had to limp the car to a safe place to pull off and call for a tow, my power steering crapped out (electro-hydraulic).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on October 18, 2012, 12:10:24 PM
Let's check your premises.

Turbo engines are more complex.Than VVEL????
Nobody cares about "weight" or MPG. We will do a poll.
335i is a lot more expensive for at most 5% more (objective) performance. Fair enough
The 37VQ owns on 3er motors of the class. No, and no
As Krazy Kev points out BMWs are PITAs to own. Fair enough
Also, the G has a far better AWD system. Do you rally race your G? For 99% of drivers the difference doesn't matter

Ergo, the G is overall the better car despite being 7 years old. G has some upsides, 3 has some upsides, it depends what your priorities are. But the 3 def has some big upsides over the G

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MX793 on October 18, 2012, 02:34:14 PM
I had an accessory belt tensioner go on my car which in turn shredded the belt that ran my alternator.  In the short distance I had to limp the car to a safe place to pull off and call for a tow, my power steering crapped out (electro-hydraulic).
If anything, this system would have enabled you to keep the p/s while you pulled over before your battery died. I would not be surprised if they started making gear driven alternators to do away w/belt maintenance + losses.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 18, 2012, 02:44:38 PM
If anything, this system would have enabled you to keep the p/s while you pulled over before your battery died. I would not be surprised if they started making gear driven alternators to do away w/belt maintenance + losses.

Gear driven alternators would be an absolute nightmare to design.  Not to mention vastly more expensive to produce and likely just as lossy.  There's a reason why nobody does gear driven cams anymore, especially in OHC motors.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Quote from: MX793 on October 18, 2012, 02:53:53 PM
Gear driven alternators would be an absolute nightmare to design.  Not to mention vastly more expensive to produce and likely just as lossy.  There's a reason why nobody does gear driven cams anymore, especially in OHC motors.

+1  Gear design is an absolute bitch.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

N55 uses Valvetronic, so yeah, its complexity is a superset of the VQ's.

280Z Turbo

BMW > Datsun w/ leather interior

Sorry, it's true.

Laconian

In two years, all BMWs will be FWD, steer by wire, and have special iPhone shaped pockets so the driver can seamlessly switch back and forth between texting and driving.

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 18, 2012, 12:25:48 PM
3 > G & Everything else.

All your base are belong to us.

/Endthread.

Yeah, solidly in the BMW camp now.  This car is awesome. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Quote from: Laconian on October 18, 2012, 04:23:17 PM
In two years, all BMWs will be FWD, steer by wire, and have special iPhone shaped pockets so the driver can seamlessly switch back and forth between texting and driving.

Fuck. Guess I need to hold on to mine.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.