Snow tires lol...

Started by VTEC_Inside, November 01, 2012, 07:33:18 AM

SVT666

It's funny how some of the people saying they refuse to buy winter tires are also the same people who buy or would buy sticky summer rubber.

850CSi

Quote from: SVT666 on November 03, 2012, 08:17:49 PM
It's funny how some of the people saying they refuse to buy winter tires are also the same people who buy or would buy sticky summer rubber.

(all seasons, all the time)

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 03, 2012, 06:43:43 PM
Got it. However, there is some line beyond which it would be irresponsible. I can't place it very well but think about this. Say for example you lived in Alaska and decided that all-seasons were fine. It would probably be as irresponsible as going on a camping trip without enough equipment for the conditions you would likely face. Can you manage with less? Possibly. Responsible. Probably not.

It is a matter of degree. If all you get are say, 10 days of snow per year I'd think all seasons are responsible. If however you get more than a month, that would probably cross that line in my opinion.

Eh there are complicating factors, it's not that simple.

Chicago gets a fair bit of snow, but it's also an urban environment with adequate plowing and lots of salt. Illinois is also flat as a surfboard.

I probably had to drive with actual snow accumulation on the street less than 5 times a year. Slush and ice was a lot more common.

Would I go a winter in the NC mountains without snows? Fuck no. If I had a commute on rural roads in a place with Chicago-like weather? Probably not.

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 03, 2012, 10:41:38 AM
Impressed with all the testosterone-laden "I don't need no stinkin' snow tires meself, a REAL driver doesn't need that shit." going on here.

Everything about driving is managing traction on your 4 contact patches. Said traction is incredibly better on snow tires on snow vs all-seasons on snow. Why would anyone not want that added margin in a place with significant snow every year is beyond me.

Nothing wrong with them.  But why take on the added cost and hassle (and if you live in an apartment like I do, I don't even have a place to store them when not in use) if you've been managing fine without them?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Most of the main roads are clear within a day of snowfall. Even with snowfall, ice and cold/wet, I have never felt out of control with all seasons.

r0tor

Why should I need to put snow tires on the Mazda when it only gets out of the garage anymore on nice dry days?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

rohan

Quote from: 850CSi on November 02, 2012, 10:18:51 AM
5 Chicago winters, RWD, all-season tires. Drove several times in blizzards. Never had a problem. Don't know a single person who runs two sets of tires.

I apologize for disagreeing with the assertion that we're all stupid.
I run them on the Durango and on ALL of our patrol cars.  Winter tires are way way better in the winter then any all season and dispute what Cougs says they are perfectly safe in all weather conditions below 60 degrees.  In fact below 60 they're safer which is why several roads in the US won't even allow you on without dedicated snow tires no matter what the conditions.  ;)
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

Several roads? Which ones? Chains or studded tires or snow tires or 4WD or AWD or some combination are frequently required in mountain passes during snow events, I know, but I've never heard of anywhere that has a snow tires only no matter what requirement.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on November 05, 2012, 09:31:36 PM
Several roads? Which ones? Chains or studded tires or snow tires or 4WD or AWD or some combination are frequently required in mountain passes during snow events, I know, but I've never heard of anywhere that has a snow tires only no matter what requirement.

lol, he just makes things up.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

I'm pretty sure there are some in Alaska, but since none of us live in Alaska...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

mzziaz

Winter tires are mandated in all of Norway during the season. I believe all seasons are OK, though so it is more of a prohibition against summer tires in the winter.
Cuore Sportivo

rohan

I accidentally left off "winter" in the conditions part.  There are several roads that require dedicated snow tires no matter the conditions during winter.

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2012, 10:01:31 PM
lol, he just makes things up.
Quote from: Rupert on November 05, 2012, 10:03:37 PM
(No, really? rohan?)
That's just comical coming from you two.  :rolleyes: 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

I figured that was what you meant. Shockingly, I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

However, I'm still curious which roads these are. :huh:

850CSi

Quote from: mzziaz on November 05, 2012, 11:50:40 PM
Winter tires are mandated in all of Norway during the season. I believe all seasons are OK, though so it is more of a prohibition against summer tires in the winter.

I can see that. That makes more sense.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on November 06, 2012, 09:37:03 PM
I figured that was what you meant. Shockingly, I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

However, I'm still curious which roads these are. :huh:
I'm not in the US, but there is a road just 5 minutes from my house that mandates chains or dedicated winter tires between November and March.  There are several roads like that around here.  I will take a picture of the sign the next time I go that way.  Since I can't drive right now, I probably won't be going that way for about 4 or 5 weeks.

TurboDan

We've always gotten 2-3 days of snow per year here (none last year) so I have no experience with this. In the northern part of NJ they get a lot more snow and I think some people buy chains, etc.

That said, do these tires give you better traction on just snow, or snow and ice too? And what's the benefits of studded vs non-studded?

MX793

Quote from: TurboDan on November 07, 2012, 07:41:27 PM
We've always gotten 2-3 days of snow per year here (none last year) so I have no experience with this. In the northern part of NJ they get a lot more snow and I think some people buy chains, etc.

That said, do these tires give you better traction on just snow, or snow and ice too? And what's the benefits of studded vs non-studded?

Studded tires will be better on ice, but they tend to skate a bit on bare pavement.  On ice, you really need either studs or chains.  All-rubber snows aren't going to be appreciably better than all-seasons.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on November 07, 2012, 07:48:27 PM
Studded tires will be better on ice, but they tend to skate a bit on bare pavement.  On ice, you really need either studs or chains.  All-rubber snows aren't going to be appreciably better than all-seasons.
They will be, but ice is ice.  There are tires that are designed for ice use that are noticeably better on ice than even winter specific tires, but studs and chains reign king on ice.  When I was in Calgary, ice was a big problem because they had a lot of "Chinooks" (warm winds warm the area and then the area freezes when the winds stop).  I had winter tires that were more ice oriented and they made a big difference, but still not ideal compared to studs.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on November 07, 2012, 10:13:14 AM
I'm not in the US, but there is a road just 5 minutes from my house that mandates chains or dedicated winter tires between November and March.  There are several roads like that around here.  I will take a picture of the sign the next time I go that way.  Since I can't drive right now, I probably won't be going that way for about 4 or 5 weeks.

Yes, but he specified snow tires, not snow tires/chains/4WD, etc. in addition to being in the U.S.

S204STi

I'll get a chance to put these to use this weekend, it sounds like.

I've done numerous snow-drives without them, but with tires as wide as mine, snow/ice rubber makes sense.

SVT666

All our highways are covered in snow as of this morning.  The news is calling the conditions "treacherous".

S204STi

I forget how laughably narrow the treads were on my first Subaru.  I forget the size... like 165/55r14 or something like that.  Even the crappiest all-seasons were fine in  most conditions.

Raza

Quote from: S204STi on November 09, 2012, 12:39:59 PM
I forget how laughably narrow the treads were on my first Subaru.  I forget the size... like 165/55r14 or something like that.  Even the crappiest all-seasons were fine in  most conditions.

I think my Passat was 195/65/15 and I thought those were really narrow.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on November 09, 2012, 01:25:58 PM
I think my Passat was 195/55/15 and I thought those were really narrow.

My 240SX was I think 195/60R15.  Factor in vehicle weight, and the Mustang has more pounds per mm of tire width than my 240SX did.  I'd need 245s to be comparable.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28310.msg1805908#msg1805908 date=1352492758
I think my Passat was 195/55/15 and I thought those were really narrow.

That's crazy. My Yaris wears 185/55/15's, and it's a class size down.

93JC

It has been snowing here for a few days, the roads are sloppy, it's -17 ?c/1 ?F, and I don't have snow/winter tires. These are just about the worst winter driving conditions this city experiences in a given winter. I have no problem getting around. I have not been a danger to my fellow motorists. The winter weather is so variable here, vacillating between bitterly cold and pleasantly warm, between wet snow and desert-like aridness, that I don't see the point in buying winter tires. More than half the winter they'd be used on relatively warm dry pavement. I'd wear them out.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2012, 10:29:58 AM
Yeah, no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IxroxDO8g8&feature=related

That's obviously glare ice beneath.  Anything less than studs isn't going to cut it in those conditions.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

So, what you're saying here Cougs is : Ice is slippery?

My God, why didn't I realize that before?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator