Snow tires lol...

Started by VTEC_Inside, November 01, 2012, 07:33:18 AM

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 10, 2012, 02:19:37 PM
So, what you're saying here Cougs is : Ice is slippery?

My God, why didn't I realize that before?

Why does Cougs even have snows? Doesn't Seattle get far less snow and ice than us in OH and MI?

Laconian

We basically have no snowplows.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on November 10, 2012, 07:51:12 PM
Why does Cougs even have snows? Doesn't Seattle get far less snow and ice than us in OH and MI?

Yes, but like many snow-lite states, they don't have much of an infrastructure to deal with it.

In MI and OH, unless its an ungodly amount- measured in feet, not inches- it gets plowed and salted within hours of it falling. In some places, well- it just sits there.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on November 10, 2012, 07:51:12 PM

Seattle gets practically no snow.  Ice is more a problem there.  But not far to the east, there are places in the mountains that get considerable snowfall.  That said, locales with heavy snowfall are pretty isolated.  You can have one town or pass that gets 20+ ft per year, and another town <20 miles away that gets less than 5.  So if you avoid venturing into those particularly snowy areas, you can largely avoid facing really snowy conditions.  Very different from a place like upstate NY where you see a large and more uniform amount of annual snowfall over a large geographical area.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I am buying these damage-free wheels and brand new tires

for $400 on Wednesday. Awww yeeeee. Winter wheels, yeee.

SVT666

SVT666

Laconian

Quote from: SVT666 on November 10, 2012, 08:34:54 PM
Where did you find them?
Craigslist. If all goes well I'll have them on Wed.

GoCougs

I ski a lot, and travel on the eastern side of the mountains a couple of time a month. The Seattle area gets a few snow storms a year on average. Add in the hills, the lousy traffic, little in the way snow removal equipment, etc., it's totally worth it.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2012, 08:40:21 PM
Craigslist. If all goes well I'll have them on Wed.

Do you have the bigger brakes? If so have you confirmed that the 17" sedan stockers will fit?

Laconian

No, regular brakes. I don't have a Sport.

SVT666

I think I have have to have 18s because mine is a Sport.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2012, 10:13:00 PM
The Seattle area gets a few snow storms a year on average. Add in the hills, the lousy traffic, little in the way snow removal equipment, etc., it's totally worth it.

I'd be curious how much snow has to fall before folks out there call it a "snow storm".  Last winter was one of the least snowiest winters on record for us (I believe it was 3rd) and we still got as much snow as the past 5 winters combined have dropped on Seattle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

If you can't see the grass poking though the snow, it was a storm. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Subject: Half an inch of snow on the ground, working from home <eom>

Rupert

Again, though, the problem in Seattle is that it snows, warms, melts part way, and then freezes into a sheet of ice. And Seattle is a hilly place. It's harder to drive in Seattle after that happens than anywhere where it's just snow.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

GoCougs

Correct; it's not the amount it's the result; anything from pavement type to bunches of elevated roadways makes Seattle quite susceptible. The snow followed by the ice storm last January was particularly difficult (I was without power for 3 days).

GoCougs

Well, I've chosen to get the upgraded Infiniti 18" wheels so my choices just plummeted. I can't get the Pilot Aplin PA3 like I wanted. The closest equivalent is the Blizzak LM-60. I'm ordering the wheels next week and will have them refinished, and then get the snows. Google Kev, if those don't work out let me know as I'll let my 17" stockers with RS-A all seasons (though only 10-15% tread) go cheap.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on November 10, 2012, 11:12:34 PM
I think I have have to have 18s because mine is a Sport.

AWD sport does/can not get the bigger brakes...

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on November 11, 2012, 01:19:57 PM
Well, I've chosen to get the upgraded Infiniti 18" wheels so my choices just plummeted. I can't get the Pilot Aplin PA3 like I wanted. The closest equivalent is the Blizzak LM-60. I'm ordering the wheels next week and will have them refinished, and then get the snows. Google Kev, if those don't work out let me know as I'll let my 17" stockers with RS-A all seasons (though only 10-15% tread) go cheap.

Cool, thanks.

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on November 11, 2012, 12:53:57 PM
Again, though, the problem in Seattle is that it snows, warms, melts part way, and then freezes into a sheet of ice. And Seattle is a hilly place. It's harder to drive in Seattle after that happens than anywhere where it's just snow.

We solve that issue by throwing shit tons of salt on the roads prior to a predicted weather event, and then tons of sand and salt afterwards.

And regardless of the thaw/re-freeze cycles after any snowfall, an inch of snow is not a "snow storm".  That's a snow shower.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on November 11, 2012, 01:15:45 PM
Correct; it's not the amount it's the result; anything from pavement type to bunches of elevated roadways makes Seattle quite susceptible. The snow followed by the ice storm last January was particularly difficult (I was without power for 3 days).

I've been through a few of those living in Eugene and Bellingham, and it ain't pretty. Walking down a slight hill on ice is bad enough; let alone driving!

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on November 11, 2012, 01:52:57 PM
We solve that issue by throwing shit tons of salt on the roads prior to a predicted weather event, and then tons of sand and salt afterwards.

And regardless of the thaw/re-freeze cycles after any snowfall, an inch of snow is not a "snow storm".  That's a snow shower.

How's the rust on that Mustang, BTW? Or can't you drive it for four months a year? ;) :lol:

Boise gets a bunch of 0.5 - 2 inch snows every year (except last year), and the city puts down blue de-icer stuff. Seems to work pretty well. I don't think it's great for car parts, either though.

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on November 11, 2012, 02:16:55 PM
How's the rust on that Mustang, BTW? Or can't you drive it for four months a year? ;) :lol:

Boise gets a bunch of 0.5 - 2 inch snows every year (except last year), and the city puts down blue de-icer stuff. Seems to work pretty well. I don't think it's great for car parts, either though.

The salt is why I park it in the winter, not the snow/ice.  I got caught in a late season snowfall last year (left maybe .25" accumulated on the ground).  Had no issues driving in those conditions.  Had a little fun in the parking lot at work.

Regardless, our roads are passable in all but the ugliest of weather because we take the necessary precautions.  Can't say I like having to expose my vehicles to the salt, but it sure beats not being able to leave the house every time we get an inch of snow.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Rupert

Yeah, that's my point.

Considering that Seattle only gets snow twice a year... :huh:

SVT666

I refuse to buy used cars that spent any time at all anywhere East of the Rocky Mountains in Canada or in the Northern Mid West US or Northeast US simply because of the salt usage.  It's outrageous.  We have mountains, steep grades on highways and city streets and we use a fraction of the salt they do back east.

S204STi

It was around 10F in south park when I passed through this weekend.  The deicer stuff didn't do shit.

There is some complaining about the magnesium chloride they lay down, but the only significant damage it does is to chrome; pits it pretty badly.  Otherwise I have five winters on these roads with zero corrosion other than exposed iron parts (i.e. brake rotors/wheel bearing faces).

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on November 09, 2012, 08:58:34 PM
That's crazy. My Yaris wears 185/55/15's, and it's a class size down.

It's two class sizes down, isn't it?  I thought the Yaris was a subcompact. 

Also, wheels didn't use to be as big.  My B5's design dated back to the 90s, before beltlines were so high that they necessitated larger wheels to visually offset the massive amount of metal on the sides of cars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Lost traction yesterday driving to my mom's house.  It was an inclined left hander that I didn't take too aggressively.  They salted when they were expecting snow last week, so all that is crushed up and lowering the traction of tires now.  Where I live, there's no salt yet. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

rohan

Quote from: MX793 on November 07, 2012, 07:48:27 PM
Studded tires will be better on ice, but they tend to skate a bit on bare pavement.  On ice, you really need either studs or chains.  All-rubber snows aren't going to be appreciably better than all-seasons.
That's not actually true anymore - snow tires are comprised of pretty high levels of silica - a remarakbly sticky compound that really improves grip on ice.  We get alot of snow here and our road comission loves to "pre-salt" which means we get a lot of ice during snow storms and under the snow.  We get huge amounts of snow at once due to lake effect.  modern dedicated snow tires do remarkably well in both snow and ice conditions which is how they are designed now.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle