Snow tires lol...

Started by VTEC_Inside, November 01, 2012, 07:33:18 AM

dsred

Quote from: Rockraven on November 03, 2012, 01:23:19 PM
Mandating winter tires is fucking stupid. First of all, you can't predict when it snows. I've seen snow well into May back in my home province. Here in SoOntario, I pushed 3-4" of snow off my driveway 3 whole times last year, and we didn't have much more than 11 days of sub-zero temperatures. Secondly, snow tires and rims cost at least $1000/set. Mandating winter tires forces people to buy bald winter tires off Kijiji... tires that are far more dangerous than the all-seasons that were on their car. All in the name of a stupid provincial law. Lastly, many new all-season tires, like the Hankook Optimo 4S, are even better than many winter tires. Any way you cut it, Craig, BC can keep its communism ICBC, its carbon tax, and its stupid winter tire law. Remember, I lived there 6 years and my wife is from there, so I'm well aware of how such a beautiful place can be so ass-backward.

This^. I live near Windsor ON, and mandating snows for Essex County would be overkill. Don't need em here.

Secret Chimp

People buy things off of Kijiji?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

veeman

i've always had a hard time deciding whether to get snow tires.  I've lived in cleveland, chicago, baltimore, new york city, lower new york, and now connecticut.  In every place except baltimore, it wouldn't be unusual to have the temperature fluctuate up to 25 - 30 degrees in the same week and occasionally even the same day.  It'll be 30 degrees F at night and up to 60 degrees F in the mid day.  The winters are very unpredicatable with usually no more than 3 or 4 heavy snowfalls which clear within a week.  My AWD enclave is so heavy and relatively tall it plows through whatever winter throws at us without any problem with my all seasons.  I've never even been close to getting stuck (knock on wood).  I had some trouble with my sonata last year and had to keep flipping on and off the traction control in order to get any bite on the roads when it was really slushy out.  I "might" spring for snow tires for my beetle but I'm not sure if it's worth it given the temperature fluctuations here and relatively mild snow.  Getting stuck would really suck though and that car is pretty small and light.  Still deciding. 

S204STi

My perspective, as someone who constantly speeds, steers, and stops hard, is that with snow tires, while you do perhaps lose a marginal amount of dry grip, it doesn't ruin a car's handling and braking as much as is indicated by some.  The numbers don't lie, in warm dry weather they don't stop or steer as well as some all-seasons, but with my commute occurring before the sun rises and after it sets, with a mean temperature of 40F or lower through the winter the snows I run manage to have considerable grip even on dry roads, and I'm far more confident pushing these than I would be on my summer tires.  I could compromise and run all-seasons, but then I'd be compromising, and I don't like doing that with tires.  And, when it is snowy/icy, I'm not worried in the least.

280Z Turbo

If dry grip was that important then we should all be driving around in sports cars instead of trucks and SUVs.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 02, 2013, 07:49:17 AM
If dry grip was that important then we should all be driving around in sports cars instead of trucks and SUVs.

It is that important if you don't drive like an old lady.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 02, 2013, 08:41:58 AM
It is that important if you don't drive like an old lady.

Most people do.

S204STi

dazzleman

Quote from: S204STi on November 02, 2013, 07:41:15 AM
My perspective, as someone who constantly speeds, steers, and stops hard, is that with snow tires, while you do perhaps lose a marginal amount of dry grip, it doesn't ruin a car's handling and braking as much as is indicated by some.  The numbers don't lie, in warm dry weather they don't stop or steer as well as some all-seasons, but with my commute occurring before the sun rises and after it sets, with a mean temperature of 40F or lower through the winter the snows I run manage to have considerable grip even on dry roads, and I'm far more confident pushing these than I would be on my summer tires.  I could compromise and run all-seasons, but then I'd be compromising, and I don't like doing that with tires.  And, when it is snowy/icy, I'm not worried in the least.

You speed?!  Shame on you... :nono:
:dance:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

I could really go for a greasy burger right about now.

SVT_Power

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 03, 2013, 01:23:54 PM
I could really go for a greasy burger right about now.

Better put your snow tires on
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

You've gotta be joking. A car with summer tires didn't make it as far on snow as a car with snow tires?

mzziaz

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 12, 2013, 08:15:10 AM
You've gotta be joking. A car with summer tires didn't make it as far on snow as a car with snow tires?

The argument was rather: Winter tyres + 2WD > Summer tyres + AWD
Cuore Sportivo

giant_mtb

Summer tires are useless in the snow...doesn't matter if it's 4WD or not. I don't know why that even had to be asked or tested. lol

2WD with snows and 4WD with all-seasons would have been more interesting to see.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 13, 2013, 09:27:46 AM
Summer tires are useless in the snow...doesn't matter if it's 4WD or not. I don't know why that even had to be asked or tested. lol

2WD with snows and 4WD with all-seasons would have been more interesting to see.
My wife's '09 Escape 2WD needs snow tires otherwise we'd never get out of the driveway after a snowfall.  My AWD '01 Escape doesn't.  Even with a set of all-season Hankooks with 100K km, it has better traction than the '09 with snows.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Drove my brother's S4 on all seasons in some decent snow.  The thing was amazing. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 13, 2013, 09:27:46 AM

That is exactly what that video was.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

saxonyron

I've always used all-seasons on the Audis and haven't had a problem yet. Of course, if getting to my office was a 100% life or death commitment, I'd have to get snows.  I live in NH and we have 4+ months of winter, last year getting over 100" of snow. I run all winter on Conti all-seasons with quattro and never miss a beat unless it's a crazy blizzard, then I'll stay home and wait it out.  But for the usual 6-10" snowfall spread over a 12 hour period, it's a non-issue.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on November 13, 2013, 07:24:35 PM
That is exactly what that video was.

Since when are summer tires all-season tires?

GoCougs

Got my LM-60s put on today. Every year I debate the tradeoff in drop in safety on bare roads vs. improvement on snow/ice. It is noticeable. The 18" Dunlops that come stock on the AWD G are "ultra high performance A/S" which to me sounds almost like a summer tire. For the mountain pass driving I do I feel I need something.

dazzleman

I used to have snow tires put on my car every year, but it's probably been 30 years since I've done it.  I just use all season tires now.  Even with my RWD BMWs, I've gotten by on those.  If I get the Audi A6, my snow driving performance should be significantly improved.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Northlands

The main reason why put on snow/ice tires on the car is for stopping. My cars with all seasons typically are pretty good, but the vastly decreased stopping distances on ice makes it all worth it for me.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

giant_mtb

Quote from: Northlands on November 19, 2013, 07:52:19 PM
The main reason why put on snow/ice tires on the car is for stopping. My cars with all seasons typically are pretty good, but the vastly decreased stopping distances on ice makes it all worth it for me.

Yeah. I definitely have to get used to longer stopping distances and slower turn speeds. That's why so many people get into accidents early in the winter or during the first few good snowfalls...they're still getting used to the slippery driving again. Snow tires would be great to have for when emergency stopping or turning is necessary. I've never had the luxury, but I've been accident-free with all-seasons in FWD, RWD, and 4/AWD. Well, I put the Bravada in a snow bank when I was being Colin McRae while it was stuck in 2WD because the AWD locker pump thing or whatever wasn't working.

GoCougs

I primarily want/need traction in ski resort parking lots/roads (varying states of incline, pot holes, snow depth, etc.) and mountain pass driving (can have stop-n-go traffic on steep highways in deep snow).

280Z Turbo

It's about time for the snows to go back on.

They're getting old. Still have tread left, but they're hardening, I think.

autokomppania

I switched to studded tires couple of weeks ago. No snow yet, but black ice on mornings and nights.

I definetly prefer studs for the winter, although for lot of the situation you could probably do with non-stud winter tires.

GoCougs

I had studded tires two tire sets ago on the Accord. I found them marginal on dry bare roads and downright dangerous on wet bare roads.

autokomppania

Well, studded tires are not fun to have on pavement, specially the noise is pretty bad. In my experience, they are not that much worse on wet pavement, but I would say that also model has a lot to do with it. But for sure, they are not made for cornering on pavement.

My volvo has Nokian Hakkapelita's and they are pretty rough and loud on pavement. Can't remember which brand are the tires on CR-V, but they are a lot smoother and also provide a better lateral grip in the corners.

Once the winter hits here, bye bye dry pavement, welcome the snow, slush and ice!

MrH

I'm still running my summer tires on the BRZ.  These Pilot Super Sports are ridiculous.  The shitty Bridgestones RE-50s I had on the miata wouildn't stick in anything remotely wet under 50 degrees.  The Super Sports grip like crazy in the wet down near freezing temps.

We haven't had any serious snow fall yet, and now I've got the element to drive when it does happen.  I might just keep the summers on year round and get rid of my snow tires.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV