New Mazda RX-7 on the way

Started by SVT666, November 02, 2012, 02:56:54 PM

SVT666

A top Mazda engineer has confirmed that the automaker is developing an all-new, rotary-engined RX-7 sports car that will debut by 2017.

MX-5 program manager Nobuhiro Yamamoto revealed to Car News that Mazda is working on a new RX-7 that will be lighter, more powerful and more fuel efficient than the discontinued RX-8.

Yamamoto, who served as the powertrain manager for the previous RX-7 and also designed the Le Mans-winning Mazda 787B?s Wankel motor, said the car will use Mazda's next-generation 16X rotary engine. Whereas the RX-8's 1.3-liter Renesis mill made 232 horsepower, Yamaoto indicated that the 16X will displace 1.6 liters and produce around 300 horsepower in naturally aspirated form (a turbo variant is a possibility down the road).

Thanks to special catalytic converters and combustion principles borrowed from Mazda's SkyActiv technology, the motor should be emissions-compliant around the globe and also boast improved fuel economy compared to the thirsty Renesis. However, Yamaoto said that Mazda would not consider adding a hybrid system as Acura has with the reborn NSX.

?For a pure sportscar, it must be internal combustion,? Yamaoto said.

Aluminum will be used extensively in the RX-7's bodyshell, helping keep weight down to about the same 2800 lbs. as the Scion FR-S/ Subaru BRZ. A stretched version of the next-generation MX-5 Miata's platform will likely underpin the RX-7, and the car will be a two-seater in all markets except for Japan, where it will feature a pair of diminutive rear seats.

While it's still too early in the development process for anything close to exact pricing details, Yamaoto did say that the new RX-7 will fall between Nissan's 370Z  and GT-R sports cars in terms of MSRP - indicating that the car will definitely be more expensive than the RX-8.

SVT666

Great news if it's true.  The only thing that's going to be really difficult to do in my books is recapture the beauty of the last RX-7.

sportyaccordy

Laconian

Oh, shit. That is a crazy power/weight ratio.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Yea!  Another really expensive rotary!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

That's the only thing.  One of the reasons the RX-7 suffered poor sales was because of the price tag.  The FD RX-7 is one of my all-time favourite cars, but damn was it pricey.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 02, 2012, 03:19:59 PM
That's the only thing.  One of the reasons the RX-7 suffered poor sales was because of the price tag.  The FD RX-7 is one of my all-time favourite cars, but damn was it pricey.

I'm sure people will be knocking down Mazda dealer doors to spend 50-60K on a Mazda that gets 12mpg and needs a new engine every year.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

I'll be one of them :praise: BRZ will need replacing by then.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on November 02, 2012, 03:23:16 PM
I'm sure people will be knocking down Mazda dealer doors to spend 50-60K on a Mazda that gets 12mpg and needs a new engine every year.
Yea sadly this will be another internet favorite

Onslaught

Yeah, I saw this http://www.themotorreport.com.au/55336/mazda-rx-7-returning-in-2017-yamamoto  the other day but didn't post anything about it seeing that we've been hearing this for years. But seeing that it's Yamamoto talking then perhaps it's not all BS.

I hope they make it but to be honest I don't see myself liking it more the the FD. That's my all time favorite car and I'd probably want it over this one. Now if this 16X would fit in the FD without much work then so much the better.

Onslaught

Oh, it would be idiotic to bring one out that cost that much. Overpriced sports cars are what killed the Japanese cars of the 90's. Sure the 300, Supra and RX-7 of those days kick ass. But they all cost too damn much for the people who buy them.
Returning the RX to it's roots would be a better idea. If you want some high end rotary car then bring the cosmo back.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28316.msg1802456#msg1802456 date=1351891396
I get about 14-16 mpg when I'm thrashing the shit out of it hitting the red line in the first three gears. And if I drive "normal" then it's in the 20's. I'm not saying that's good but it's sure isn't 12. And I've not needed one part other then the battery replaced yet. Out of the 4 cars I've ever own this one has had the least about stuff done to it. I hope that this last too.

Not saying that others don't have fuck ups. I'm just saying so far I'm in the clear.

r0tor

It would be sweet if the 16x would drop into the rx8
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

This is all assuming Mazda can stick around financially until 2017. Right now,  I don't see that happening unless someone buys up a big chunk of them,  or the next 3 & 6 are both top three sellers in their respective segments.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Onslaught

Quote from: MrH on November 02, 2012, 05:58:17 PM
This is all assuming Mazda can stick around financially until 2017. Right now,  I don't see that happening unless someone buys up a big chunk of them,  or the next 3 & 6 are both top three sellers in their respective segments.
SILENCE!!!!!

Secret Chimp

I think Mazda will be fine if they act like a smaller company now that Ford's out of the picture.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Quote from: MrH on November 02, 2012, 05:58:17 PM
This is all assuming Mazda can stick around financially until 2017. Right now,  I don't see that happening unless someone buys up a big chunk of them,  or the next 3 & 6 are both top three sellers in their respective segments.

GM's managed to last for 30 years in the red, I think Mazda can hang on for 5. :lol:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Secret Chimp on November 02, 2012, 10:27:02 PM
I think Mazda will be fine if they act like a smaller company now that Ford's out of the picture.
Small companies that don't sell $300K cars dont seem like viable business models. I love Mazda, I'm rooting for Mazda, but its not looking good right now. Mitsubishi has the backing of its other operations. Same with Subaru. All the other Japanese companies have the volume + coverage to keep pushing. I hate to say it but getting away from Ford might not have been in their long term interest. Though on the flip side Saab was killed by its GM ties.

Who knows though. You could have said the same about Hyundai or Kia not even 10 years ago. Look at em now. But they figured out what sells. Mazda is making cars for folks like us, which is not a very loyal or large market.

Onslaught

Hopefully the Mexico plant will help. I think their sales as of late have been ok, for Mazda anyway. But they don't make enough money off them because all their cars are made in Japan. I just hope they can hold on until it's up and running.
I'm not sure what I'd do if Mazda went down the tubes. The Miata would be easy to keep because of all the thousands of them running around. The RX-8 on the other hand wouldn't be so easy in the long term. And then what do I buy?
The only other brands that make cars that I like are BMW and they cost too damn much or perhaps subaru.

I'd be fucked.

sportyaccordy

Buy + continually restore an FD

Why wait for something new when what you want already exists

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Onslaught on November 03, 2012, 05:23:11 AM
Hopefully the Mexico plant will help. I think their sales as of late have been ok, for Mazda anyway. But they don't make enough money off them because all their cars are made in Japan. I just hope they can hold on until it's up and running.
I'm not sure what I'd do if Mazda went down the tubes. The Miata would be easy to keep because of all the thousands of them running around. The RX-8 on the other hand wouldn't be so easy in the long term. And then what do I buy?
The only other brands that make cars that I like are BMW and they cost too damn much or perhaps subaru.

I'd be fucked.

The Mexico plant will help. And if worst comes to worst a BMW would be fine as lomg as you look past the usual Spin' hyperbole about them costing an arm and a leg to keep running. Not true.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 03, 2012, 06:48:47 AM
Buy + continually restore an FD

Why wait for something new when what you want already exists
Parts will run out one day if Mazda is gone.

Payman

A $60,000 RX-7 is a very bad idea. A much better one is to produce a 200 hp Miata coupe to directly compete with the Subarions.

Onslaught

A 60K RX-7 will bomb. Not even I would buy one for that much. Not even if it had a dick sucker in the seat. A 30-40K RX-7 would be a better idea.

Eye of the Tiger

I demand four r0tors, <2000lbs, <$25K.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: Secret Chimp on November 02, 2012, 10:27:02 PM

It's not that. It's not like their spending is out of control. All of their production in Japan makes them very sensitive to currency fluctuations. They're getting killed right now. Also, companies that small simply don't have the purchasing power and part sharing ability to compete in cost.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Onslaught

MrH

By 2017, $60k won't be the same as what $60k is now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

cawimmer430

How do they plan on making the rotary engine more fuel efficient? By its very design it's a fuel thirsty engine. Lowering the weight of the car etc. will probably have a very small and hardly noticeable effect on fuel economy.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

Quote from: MrH on November 03, 2012, 11:51:30 AM
By 2017, $60k won't be the same as what $60k is now.

I figured $60k, because that's halfway between an RX-8 and Nissan GTR. The GTR (if it still exists) might cost $150,000 in 2017, and the new RX-7, $90,000. Either way, nobody will buy a Mazda at that price point. Volkswagen couldn't do it, and at a few hundred GTR's a year, neither could Nissan.