car type and commute times

Started by veeman, November 07, 2012, 06:38:41 AM

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on November 09, 2012, 10:43:14 AM

I'm genuinely surprised nobody has responded with "the 2.0T is more this enough" or "the 2.0T gets better gas mileage, so it's the obvious choice between the two" or something along those lines.

Yeah, I was fishing for it. No takers I guess :lol:

Because the supercharged 3.0 is a legitimate improvement over the 2.0T. If you were talking about the 3.2, you'd find plenty of takers, seeing as it was no better than the 2.0T.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on November 09, 2012, 11:20:31 AM
Tiguan.  Q5 is for poseurs.

This. Whenever a vee dub platform mate is available the smart thin is to fo the vee dub.
But if fun is a priority go for the X1.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

veeman

thanks for all the suggestions.

bmw x1 vs tiguan/q5.  The reviews for the infiniti ex are pretty good if rear seat space/cargo are not a priority which it wouldn't be.  the infiniti also looks pretty sweet both inside and outside.

smart thing to do would be just maintain the status quo.  while she isn't complaining, the enclave is terrible on hilly narrow two lane roads which would be half the commute.  its not unmanageable or unsafe, it just sucks.  its like a big boat in a small harbor.

one or two months to decide.  we'll see how it plays out.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: veeman on November 09, 2012, 03:26:12 PM
thanks for all the suggestions.

bmw x1 vs tiguan/q5.  The reviews for the infiniti ex are pretty good if rear seat space/cargo are not a priority which it wouldn't be.  the infiniti also looks pretty sweet both inside and outside.

smart thing to do would be just maintain the status quo.  while she isn't complaining, the enclave is terrible on hilly narrow two lane roads which would be half the commute.  its not unmanageable or unsafe, it just sucks.  its like a big boat in a small harbor.

one or two months to decide.  we'll see how it plays out.

Having driven an Enclave on the Pacific Coast Highway, it's the absolute last car I'd ever want to drive (that I've driven) on a road like that again.  The backup camera in the rearview mirror is clever though. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 09, 2012, 01:17:08 PM
Because the supercharged 3.0 is a legitimate improvement over the 2.0T. If you were talking about the 3.2, you'd find plenty of takers, seeing as it was no better than the 2.0T.

Spoken like a true soldier who has never experienced the 3.2 and one that forgets its 25% power advantage! (Not to menton its other advantages like superior throttle response, power delivery, and sound)

OK I am drunk and I wanted to throw some verbal love towards my engine. But 3.2 A4 > 2.0T. Fact. My mom has the better 2.0T and I still think the 3.2 is better in the A4.

Colonel Cadillac

I prefer my power to peak at the actual redline instead of a messily 5500 RPM a la 2.0T.

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on November 10, 2012, 02:42:05 AM

Spoken like a true soldier who has never experienced the 3.2 and one that forgets its 25% power advantage! (Not to menton its other advantages like superior throttle response, power delivery, and sound)

OK I am drunk and I wanted to throw some verbal love towards my engine. But 3.2 A4 > 2.0T. Fact. My mom has the better 2.0T and I still think the 3.2 is better in the A4.

Considering the 3.2 isn't that quick, those are some lazyass horses.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

The 3.2 is the better engine IMO. The issue was if it was worth the price difference. For Cadillac here it was and that's just fine.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)