EPS (Electric) vs. HPS (Hydraulic) Power Steering

Started by MexicoCityM3, November 09, 2012, 09:04:24 AM

So in your experience, what kind of steering assistance do you prefer?

EPS
HPS
No PS for me, I drive an Elise or a VW Bug
Can't honestly feel a difference between EPS and HPS

93JC

My car's steering is pretty good, I think. Low effort, no bump steer and good feedback. Like the RX-8 it's electro-hydraulic: hydraulic system with an electric pump. It seems to be a perfectly acceptable compromise to me.

I test drove a G5; the worst steering I've ever experienced. I would never buy one precisely because of the steering. It was so bad it was an absolute deal-breaker. It's purely electric, with the motor directly acting on the steering shaft. I don't have a ton of experience with other cars with purely electric steering but of the cars I know that have them (many Toyotas, e.g.) I have never heard a good thing about their steering.

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on November 09, 2012, 04:57:26 PM
I'd like to see a system where the EPS diminishes at higher speed. It wouldn't be hard to implement a sports car with a system with 100% EPS at 0-10 mph, then progressively fade until you have zero power steering at, say, 60 mph.

I drove a GTI with variable-assist electric power steering. It was okay except it didn't firm up soon enough. At parking lot speeds it was "pinky-finger light"; at 50 km/h it was still about the same...

2o6

Maybe It's because I drive them all the time now, but I don't see the fuss with the G5/Cobalt steering. It's light, but it feels about the same as any Toyota.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Rockraven on November 09, 2012, 04:57:26 PM
I'd like to see a system where the EPS diminishes at higher speed. It wouldn't be hard to implement a sports car with a system with 100% EPS at 0-10 mph, then progressively fade until you have zero power steering at, say, 60 mph.

Both my cars do that and it's an option in any BMW afaik. An it is availabe both on EPS and HPS models.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on November 09, 2012, 06:01:56 PM
Maybe It's because I drive them all the time now, but I don't see the fuss with the G5/Cobalt steering. It's light, but it feels about the same as any Toyota.

My gripe was less the steering effort and more the inconsistency of the steering effort.  And the tendency for the wheel to fight returning to center after taking a corner.  It was like there was a torsional damper in the wheel and it would start to return, then firm up and not want to return unless you steered it back to center.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on November 09, 2012, 05:08:36 PM
Wife's G5 is numb at all speeds. You actually feel out of control sometimes in a high speed sweeper.

Well, it's a GM.  They had to do a lot of things wrong to get to where they are. 

Also, the Z4's steering is awesome.  Great weight and feel, great consistency. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Some EPS systems I've driven feel like crap, others are transparent.  Hydraulics aren't necessarily ideal, either.  Way more of it has to do with suspension geometry and programming than the choice of one over the other.  Or to phrase it differently, I've driven plenty of shitty hydraulic systems, and some poor EPS systems, so it's not fair to automatically write off EPS.

hotrodalex

From my experience, HPS has always been better. I haven't driven many of the cars w/ good EPS that you guys have listed, though.

My ideal car would be light enough that it wouldn't need PS.

Laconian

My car has some a speed-sensitive hydraulic rack. I prefer the manly man BMW electric steering.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe my car has EPS...I've never thought about it 'til now and just assumed it was HPS.  If that is the case, damn.  I never would have guessed.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Onslaught on November 09, 2012, 12:49:48 PM
I really don't give a shit. I am taking the PS out of the MX-5 however.

I might go that route someday too.   Low HP plus when I'm in a 25-45mph corner I can feel it 'bouncing' back and forth against me.
My SHO did the same thing. Same design?
Will

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2012, 03:11:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe my car has EPS...I've never thought about it 'til now and just assumed it was HPS.  If that is the case, damn.  I never would have guessed.

I'm not sure if it's electric or hydraulic, but I think the steering in my brother's car is just okay.  The weighting is inconsistent.  It communicates just fine, but the effort it requires is unpredictable.  And the throttle is a little light, but not too light.  It's a fun car to drive, but it's not perfect. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

My HPS, fwiw, has an issue at the moment regarding air getting into the system (no visible leaks, but apparently i need to replace a couple of clamps and remove an OEM o-ring), which leads to shudder in the column at low speeds.  EPS wouldn't have this issue with degrading hydraulic parts.

VTEC_Inside

FWIW, Honda has used methods of cutting back hydraulic assist at speed as far back as my '89 Accord. Re-running the damn lines up to that funny looking thing on the tranny confirmed this for me.

RSX is hydraulic, CSX is electric.

RSX is heavier, a little dead on center with these tires, but quite precise in a corner.

CSX is very light, precise in normal driving, but a bit dead when pushed. Thing is that the CSX moves around a lot when pushed hard where the RSX stays pretty flat. My biggest gripe is actually driving it in shitty weather. I could tell if I ran over a snowball in the Accord, in the CSX it becomes a video game minus force feedback.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...