Are cars better or worse for not being built to last forever anymore?

Started by sportyaccordy, November 12, 2012, 09:45:26 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on November 12, 2012, 08:20:30 PM
You still see some rust when you start cutting cars apart even today. But nothing like in the past.

oh, I've watched rusted panels go into the paint booth right on the assembly line enough to know that its still around.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Lebowski on November 12, 2012, 08:34:09 PM
Plastic cars FTW!

Plastic bumper covers help, but the real advancement is unibody coatings. The entire car is dipped nowadays.

sportyaccordy

Hondas used to be notoriously bad with rust. They didnt get their shit together till the last 90s

Benzes had rust problems too. Some of them in the strut tower (!!!!)

I guess the difference now is cars are "engineered" vs "overengineered"

Payman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 13, 2012, 01:42:48 PM
Hondas used to be notoriously bad with rust. They didnt get their shit together till the last 90s

Something about Hondas and rear wheel arches. Same with Chrysler minivans and rocker panels.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 13, 2012, 01:42:48 PM

If anything cars are over engineered now vs under engineered back in the day.   You will never convince me cars don't last as long as they used to.   Cars were absolute garbage until maybe 20 years ago.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: SVT666 on November 13, 2012, 02:46:35 PM
If anything cars are over engineered now vs under engineered back in the day.   You will never convince me cars don't last as long as they used to.   Cars were absolute garbage until maybe 20 years ago.

They were under-engineered back in the day. No question.

They were over-built in some areas, but that's not the same as over-engineered, in my mind.

Furthermore, I think they were over-built in the wrong areas. If you have something like caliper mount brackets that are built like the Brooklyn Bridge, what good is it?

The weak point for any car in this part of the country has always been (and continues to be) corrosion, not the mechanical components.

shp4man

I can say for sure, modern cars generally last longer than older cars. Cars and trucks don't rust here, so what kills them is miles. I will say that many, not all, modern cars are souless. Most of Ford's later models will easily run 300K miles if they're taken care of.
Which Dart would I rather have, though?

or

No contest. The old one!

Payman

They can't keep the new Dart in dealerships up here. Good to see a successful car from Chrysler.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on November 13, 2012, 03:48:35 PM
They can't keep the new Dart in dealerships up here. Good to see a successful car from Chrysler.

Here, they're having a hard time moving them. I think it looks old.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 13, 2012, 03:53:12 PM
Here, they're having a hard time moving them. I think it looks old.

It's the most popular segment up here. Old? I disagree. I think it's one of the freshest looking designs in its class.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on November 13, 2012, 03:42:49 PM
I can say for sure, modern cars generally last longer than older cars. Cars and trucks don't rust here, so what kills them is miles. I will say that many, not all, modern cars are souless. Most of Ford's later models will easily run 300K miles if they're taken care of.
Which Dart would I rather have, though?

or

No contest. The old one!

New Dart, no question.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Will

SVT666

cawimmer430

When it comes to classic Dodge cars, nothing touches this IMO.

'74 Dodge Monaco = So extremely sexy. Love it.  :wub:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 13, 2012, 05:20:16 PM
When it comes to classic Dodge cars, nothing touches this IMO.

'74 Dodge Monaco = So extremely sexy. Love it.  :wub:

It was only a matter of time before Wimmer weighed in on this with some mid '70's sled... :lol: ;)

shp4man

Definitely better MPG and safer with the new car. Also more reliable. Ahh, but fun to drive? That's another story.

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on November 13, 2012, 05:25:02 PM
It was only a matter of time before Wimmer weighed in on this with some mid '70's sled... :lol: ;)

What can I say? I like older cars.  :praise:

IMO they had style, class, elegance and visual character that seems to be lacking from most of todays cars. The '74 Dodge Monaco is really cool IMO. I really want to shoot one but all the ones in Germany are in the north near Hamburg and Berlin. There are none in Bavaria!  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

Quote from: shp4man on November 13, 2012, 05:27:42 PM
Definitely better MPG and safer with the new car. Also more reliable. Ahh, but fun to drive? That's another story.
Depends what you consider fun to drive.   If all you want is stoplight to stoplight,  then you may be correct,  though the new Dart is probably just as fast or faster (I don't know much about the old Dart).  But if you want to go around a corner than the new one will be much more fun.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rockraven on November 13, 2012, 03:57:53 PM
It's the most popular segment up here. Old? I disagree. I think it's one of the freshest looking designs in its class.

It does look a bit 1990's, especially inside.

Payman

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on November 13, 2012, 05:50:31 PM

Depends what you consider fun to drive.   If all you want is stoplight to stoplight,  then you may be correct,  though the new Dart is probably just as fast or faster (I don't know much about the old Dart).  But if you want to go around a corner than the new one will be much more fun.

If one associates terror with fun, then no. I bet the old Dart is much more entertaining on the twisties at 60 mph than the new one.

SVT666

I think it looks fine.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rockraven on November 13, 2012, 07:05:17 PM
If one associates terror with fun, then no. I bet the old Dart is much more entertaining on the twisties at 60 mph than the new one.

The first curve wouldn't be so bad.

Each curve after that would get scarier and scarier. Eventually, the pedal goes to the floor and you die.

280Z Turbo

SVT666

The Focus might look better,  but I guarantee the Dart's climate controls are easier to use.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 13, 2012, 07:41:42 PM
The Focus and Cruze look better to me.

Well, maybe not the Cruze.

Cruze has a better design, I agree. Not the Focus, though.

The Dart by no means looks bad, but it looks old, IMO. Reminds me of a car from 2008.

SVT666