W/o remorse I put these renderings out there

Started by sportyaccordy, November 15, 2012, 09:31:25 AM

sportyaccordy

Working on a car and a bike. Here's where I am with the bike.

2o6

Good. I'd throw a subsurf modifier on there to make it look a little stronger, but that's just my style. No wrong or right way here.

MrH

Looks pretty good.  I like the styling.  I'm not seeing a frame in there though :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

No frame. Panigale style. Just basically bolt the headstock to the cylinder head. Save a good 10-20lbs. Make it CF, save another 10 or so lbs. Big weight on a ~400lb creature :lol: Just need to come up with whatever the situation is gonna be at the back end. Definitely gonna do some kind of parallelogram setup; just trying to figure out the prettiest way to mount the shock

The materials and edges are tricky. 2o6 is there anyway to give the materials a little more depth w/o extruding? Subsurf works great as does smooth rendering but I am looking to really nail the texture of the paint. Give it that nice gleaming almost wet paint look. Here's a model someone else did with awesome awesome texture/paint

See how his windshield has a little lip to it? That is the kind of depth I want to apply to the windscreen + fairing on mine.

2o6

I'm not all that strong on rendering; usually I export my stuff to Racer.

I'm not much help there, sorry.

SVT666

Looks good,  but the wheelbase looks about 6" too long.

Raza

It looks good, but I think it would be better if it had four seats and a roof.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Short tails are all the rage these days.

[imghttp://www.hondaproracing.com/images/machine/medium/castrol_cbr1000rr_1.jpg[/img]http://

Plus there's a lot still missing from the back end (suspension, brakes)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on November 15, 2012, 12:44:41 PM
It looks good, but I think it would be better if it had four seats and a roof.
The car is coming. I will post where I am with that tonight.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 15, 2012, 12:50:50 PM
The car is coming. I will post where I am with that tonight.

The car would look better if it were a 1+2 three seater with 7 doors, and power soft and hard top, AWD, two more seats, and weighed under 2200 pounds. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

:lol:

To be fair the car is a culmination of my "wants". Pretty much what the Panamera should have been. 5 door hatchback, screaming W8 (2 close I4s), RWD, ~3500lbs

sportyaccordy

My save keeps fcking crashing. Here is as far as I've been able to get on the first pass. I love the jump in realism the new paint and material thickness gave the front fairing. Still not crazy about the seat though.

I want to start over again anyway from a different angle... build all the materials and take my time to make each piece meticulous.

Atomic

Starting over? I like what you did but sounds like you are having lots of fun. That's the point, eh? That and the final product. Sweet work, Sporty!

:ohyeah:

sportyaccordy

First two passes made me lol. Only problem is now I'm running a new more flexible engine and I'm running low on computing power

Anyways here's a quick rendering of effort #2

Added a windscreen

:wub:

SVT666

Raza

Looks pretty good.  What's the sidecar going to look like?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

The problem with bikes is that there is only so much you can do with that shape.  Every bike built in the last 10 years looks the same and you can't really differentiate them.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on November 21, 2012, 09:44:28 AM
The problem with bikes is that there is only so much you can do with that shape.  Every bike built in the last 10 years looks the same and you can't really differentiate them.
One could say the same about cars. Its all about the details. The cool thing about bikes though is all the details are in the open. A car model is just the shell, windows, lights, wheels, brakes, tires and exhaust. Bikes have all that, as well as the suspension, controls etc. Next time you see a sportbike just try and take in all the details. Its like a race car w/no sheetmetal.

Plus while its true bikes are kind of limited in design by function, to a degree so are sports cars. Just like there's a clear diff from cars from different decades, there's differences in bikes. Its been like learning about cars all over again

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 21, 2012, 10:31:02 AM
One could say the same about cars. Its all about the details. The cool thing about bikes though is all the details are in the open. A car model is just the shell, windows, lights, wheels, brakes, tires and exhaust. Bikes have all that, as well as the suspension, controls etc. Next time you see a sportbike just try and take in all the details. Its like a race car w/no sheetmetal.

Plus while its true bikes are kind of limited in design by function, to a degree so are sports cars. Just like there's a clear diff from cars from different decades, there's differences in bikes. Its been like learning about cars all over again
Yes and no.  Even casual observers can see a big difference between cars from today and 10 years ago, but not so with bikes.  I like bikes and I have a hard time.  There is so little material on a bike that there isn't much that can be done to differentiate them.  Cars are a lot easier.  Not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's true.

2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R

2012 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R

sportyaccordy

Thats kind of an unfair comparo, as the 03 636 was a huge move forward. I can't think of an an automotive analog as sportbike evolution has been pretty nutty over the last 20 years.

But compare that to the 2002 ZX6R, theres a few somewhat obvious differences to me.

02 is way more upright and has much less mass centralization. Look how big the tail is. Look how much higher the handlebars are. Look at the forks. I mean it is kind of subtle, but when you see the two bikes next to each other it becomes obvious.

Also the big diffs between Japanese + European bikes. The old adages about character ring even louder. A mid 90s Japanese sportbike looks wild but is kind of blah. A mid 90s Ducati looks downright exotic, even now. I mean look at the iconic 916

Vs some of the Japanese bikes from the same era

They look bulbous + visually heavier or just plain old

I mean my wife can't tell the diff between an E30 M3 and an old Accord... but you and me know the designs + cars are as different as night and day

Cookie Monster

Why are the exhausts on new sportbikes so hideous?

Nice work so far, sporty. :ohyeah:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on November 22, 2012, 10:24:08 AM

Nice work so far, sporty. :ohyeah:
Mass centralization.

Pretty much finished.

2o6

How'd you get that noise on your renderings? What are your settings?

sportyaccordy

I'm using the Cycles engine. You have to compromise between time and noise. That first rendering had about 40 samples; last two were like 150.

I like Cycles much better. The surface engine renders so much more cleanly and is easier to set up. I'm also picking up a lot of other stuff though. That first rendering makes me laugh whenever I see it lol.

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on November 22, 2012, 10:24:08 AM

Buell's exhausts are the best, IMO.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 22, 2012, 07:21:12 PM
I'm using the Cycles engine. You have to compromise between time and noise. That first rendering had about 40 samples; last two were like 150.

I like Cycles much better. The surface engine renders so much more cleanly and is easier to set up. I'm also picking up a lot of other stuff though. That first rendering makes me laugh whenever I see it lol.

Golly, i started playing with cycles, it looks way better then Blender render.

Hows your car coming along?

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 22, 2012, 07:21:12 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on November 23, 2012, 10:33:37 AM

I have to start from scratch on the car. For some reason I just can't get the topology right. Subsurf makes things like doors stop lining up. I might need to start from scratch again, with sketches