W/o remorse I put these renderings out there

Started by sportyaccordy, November 15, 2012, 09:31:25 AM

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 25, 2012, 04:22:36 PM
I have to start from scratch on the car. For some reason I just can't get the topology right. Subsurf makes things like doors stop lining up. I might need to start from scratch again, with sketches

You can cheat this by using edges to keep things from subdividing and warping in certain places.

ergodic

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 21, 2012, 11:28:41 AM
Thats kind of an unfair comparo, as the 03 636 was a huge move forward. I can't think of an an automotive analog as sportbike evolution has been pretty nutty over the last 20 years.

But compare that to the 2002 ZX6R, theres a few somewhat obvious differences to me.

02 is way more upright and has much less mass centralization. Look how big the tail is. Look how much higher the handlebars are. Look at the forks. I mean it is kind of subtle, but when you see the two bikes next to each other it becomes obvious.

Also the big diffs between Japanese + European bikes. The old adages about character ring even louder. A mid 90s Japanese sportbike looks wild but is kind of blah. A mid 90s Ducati looks downright exotic, even now. I mean look at the iconic 916

Vs some of the Japanese bikes from the same era

They look bulbous + visually heavier or just plain old

I mean my wife can't tell the diff between an E30 M3 and an old Accord... but you and me know the designs + cars are as different as night and day

:rage: The Fireblade is bulbouse and just plain old?! You take that back!!!

:lol:

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 26, 2012, 03:01:05 PM
Looks way better. Can you post some pics of your wireframes... I just can't get this shit right man.

Mine aren't the best, but I use the "edge" tool (highlight and edge and hit Shift+E) to keep the subsurf modifier from rounding out edges too much. Not going to lie, traditional modeling I'm not very strong at all with, but I know enough to get the job done.

Since most of my cars have an interior fleshed out, here's a model with a decent wireframe.

No subsurf modifier

With subsurf modifier

Careful placement of lines of polygons + edges tool lets me get the subsurf modifier to do what I want it to.

sportyaccordy

I will give that a try man. I like subsurf but it really fucks up edges like doors and shit. What does the edge tool do basically? Just keep subsurf from fucking with it?

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 05, 2012, 08:00:54 AM
What does the edge tool do basically? Just keep subsurf from fucking with it?

Yes. You can also chamfer edges and do some other subdivisions to create a more realistic "edge". Only real downside is sometimes it has too many polygons for the purpose, but mine are generally low-poly so I don't think it matters.  I try to keep the model as one unit as long as possible before I start separating doors and other pieces (because it does screw with polygonal lines). Some stuff I don't find necessary to explicitly connect to the mesh; often times my dashboards and other interior pieces clip and aren't united to the main body model.

The edge tool lets me get things to 9/10 times line up, but some areas do need tweaking.

sportyaccordy

Still needs work but its looking better. I am learning its better to model each body piece individually. Also got a good handle on the subsurf/edge stuff. My window game is still pretty shitty though. And the topography needs work. Shits kinda not lining up.

Thinking about expanding the hatch/trunk a little bit but I still really wanna keep this thing nice and trim. You know me. Should get interesting when I start making the chassis/powertrain but that is easy compared to getting all these damn body parts to play nice.

2o6

CJ

Lengthen the wheelbase and make the trunk a little longer. I think it'd really look great. Very SLS like, kinda.

SVT666

sportyaccordy

There's still more to do!!!!

For the exterior I still need to clean up some edges... maybe turn up the subsurf again to get the last bit of blockiness out, and def finalize the daylight openings. Also gotta do lights, exhaust and shit like doorhandles and all that.

Then from there we work our way in... gonna make the undercarriage, engine, suspension and closeout with the interior hopefully. Gonna take some time but I am making steady progress

sportyaccordy

Cleaned up a little bit. Did the roof over, cleaned up the wheel arches and side window, lined up the bumper and lower edges

2o6

Looks alright, would love to see another angle.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sportyaccordy

I see a couple of things

I see 1st gen Viper in the general silhouette/profile... the cutout of the doors, the bulge of the nose, the greenhouse, even the window shape and maybe the wheels too. Maybe I will make roof bubbles

I see a little 1st gen Neon in the nose, but I am still on the fence with what to do there. Gonna have LED headlights for sure, and some funky ducts etc. Def gonna be pretty aggressive. Gonna do some sketches to brainstorm

Overall though I like it... not bad for a first effort I think. Thinking of what to do next, and how to finish the bike. Bike has some details I'm not crazy about. Might do the engine over completely with more detail + texture.

*EDIT* Yeech def gotta do the rear window over too. Hot mess. No biggie

Laconian

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

But then I will have to make the decklid more pronounced. The net effect will be the same, I think

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 18, 2012, 03:53:22 PM
But then I will have to make the decklid more pronounced. The net effect will be the same, I think

It looked better without it. 

It looks a lot like an RX-8, that can't be denied.  And just like an RX-8, the short decklid makes spoilers look goofy.  It's better without.  I even removed the stock spoiler on my RX-8 in Horizon because it looks so terrible.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

I suppose it would look cleaner. I will take it off the body and make it an option.

Laconian

Make it part of the Sport Convenience Package!

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on December 19, 2012, 01:59:44 PM
Make it part of the Sport Convenience Package!

Sportvenience Pack!  Spoiler and heated/cooled cupholders!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Engine bay cameras! Bluetooth enabled sport exhaust!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on December 20, 2012, 12:37:26 PM
Sportvenience Pack!  Spoiler and heated/cooled cupholders!

The spoiler should also be heated and cooled; it can melt ice, and form ice.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on December 20, 2012, 01:17:52 PM
Engine bay cameras! Bluetooth enabled sport exhaust!

That should require stereo headphones. Some people only have a single ear piece.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Genius. It creates down force on demand by accumulating ice.

sportyaccordy

You guys jest but how cool would it be to say "afterburners... activate" and have the sport exhaust open up

I'm keeping and trademarking that

Laconian

Afterburners, activate!
"Uh oh, something's wrong. Can you try again?"
Afterburners, activate!
"Sorry, I'm having trouble connecting to the network."
Afterburners, activate!
"OK, got it. Here is a map to Afterburners."