The New Range Rover..

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 27, 2012, 04:26:47 PM

AutobahnSHO

..is an extremely sexy Kia Soul.

Not really- but the squared-off back-slanting roofline combined with the slightly curving hood and very far back rear wheels really does resemble the older car. Except larger and much sexier.

Parked next to one today- it's an older Pilot who drives it- white. Driver is a she.
Will

Submariner

The new RR doesn't go on sale until December 13, or so the President of N/A said on CNBC this morning...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Are there supposed to be pictures or something in here? :huh:

TurboDan

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 27, 2012, 08:24:41 PM
Are there supposed to be pictures or something in here? :huh:

Some people were saying it looks a little Explorer-ish. First Kia Soul comparison I've heard...

AutobahnSHO

Sorry, didn't realize it wasn't the "regular" range rover. Talking about the "Evoque"

specifically this angle

Will

CJ

I can kinda see what you're talking about.

J86

AutobahnSHO

It's NOT an exact thing- but it cracked me up thinking "wonder if RR knew they were copying KIA".   :lol:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: J86 on November 27, 2012, 09:01:07 PM
that thing is so effing ugly.

NOH.

In person it's quite sexy. For a chick car. ;)
Will

MexicoCityM3

I love the Evoque. Would get one on the basis of its looks.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

There's one in town.  It's a head-turner, but I can't say it's exactly...attractive.

280Z Turbo

What would I do with a car like this?

Probably just not buy it. They say offroading is bad for the environment now, so this is irrelevant. I never liked offroading much anyway. And I'd do it with an old Jeep if I was going to do it.

bing_oh

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 27, 2012, 08:47:47 PMspecifically this angle

In contrast, it almost looks like a Kia Soul just entering warp...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: bing_oh on November 28, 2012, 05:31:15 PM
In contrast, it almost looks like a Kia Soul just entering warp...

lol  Yup.
Fairly similar design cues- but apparently it's an efficient shape. You need more headroom for the front than the rear- the drag coefficient for something tall will likely be better if you taper it back, and the rear wheels are very far back for better space..
Having the windows go almost to the rear provides nice aesthetic, but I'm surprised at the detailing in the front fenders right at the front doors is kinda similar.
Will

Raza

Ah, the Evoque.  They're striking in a way, but I wouldn't want to own one. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

SVT666

They're definitely cool looking, but fuck they've got to be hard to see out of.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2012, 12:02:39 PM
They're definitely cool looking, but fuck they've got to be hard to see out of.

Yeah, I've never seen one from the back before.  I probably have a bigger rear window. 

Saw one pulled over the other day. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

I love the Evoque's looks, but I wouldn't buy one. I don't think I'd buy the "true" Range Rover either. The only one I'd legit consider buying is a the RR Sport. If the rumors about the next Defender are true with regard to appearance, features and price, I see this as my next vehicle.

As for off-roading, old Jeeps are cool (I'd rather have an old LR though  :lol:) but new Land Rovers come with all the "old" stuff like 4LO and lockers, and add in Terrain Response, which is amazing. The LR2 goes off a Haldex AWD unit with an electronic locker and Terrain Response and has been amazing for me driving through the woods, mud up to a foot or so, plus soft, deep beach sand. The capabilities combining the new and old tech have to be stunning.