C7

Started by Rich, December 01, 2012, 02:04:32 PM

Rich

I'm pretty excited.  Yeah, fanboy blah blah blah, whatever... I'm excited 'bout engineers in 'Merica working on a world class sports car.

http://www.chevrolet.com/one13thirteen.html

Roughly one more month until the unveil

Anyone else excited, or at least interested?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Payman

Yeah, looking forward to it. Anyone questioning American H&H, need only to look at the Corvette.

Submariner

It's going to have to be pretty good to top the Viper. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Payman

Quote from: Submariner on December 01, 2012, 02:33:21 PM
It's going to have to be pretty good to top the Viper. 

It doesn't need to. The (base) Corvette starts at some $40,000 less than the Viper and really isn't a direct competitor, although Zo6 and ZR1 models has held its own against it.

Onslaught

The C6 was a much needed improvement in the interior department. I hope they make it better because it still has a way too go.

GoCougs

My hunch is it's going to be as "new" as the new Accord, Camry, and Civic were "new" (meaning, the automakers tried to pull a fast one; not new just an update).

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on December 01, 2012, 02:53:53 PM
My hunch is it's going to be as "new" as the new Accord, Camry, and Civic were "new" (meaning, the automakers tried to pull a fast one; not new just an update).

No way. The only similarities with the C6 will be front V8/rear trans, 4 round taillights and the name.

giant_mtb

My friend thinks the next 'Vette is slated to be mid-engine. :confused: :rolleyes:

Rich

I'm sure the hydroformed rails will be kept, and the leaf springs will be kept also.

I'm interested to see how the car is tuned, ever since the 2008 mid cycle refresh, they seem to be targeting better interiors and more driver involvement (steering feel)

I think they can make big gains with a (mostly) clean slate.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on December 01, 2012, 02:38:08 PM
It doesn't need to. The (base) Corvette starts at some $40,000 less than the Viper and really isn't a direct competitor, although Zo6 and ZR1 models has held its own against it.
Not the new one.   The new Viper is pretty incredible from all accounts that I've read.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on December 01, 2012, 03:45:33 PM
Not the new one.   The new Viper is pretty incredible from all accounts that I've read.

For now. (I'm a Viper fan too).

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 01, 2012, 02:53:53 PM
Or like your g?

New engine is throughly updated with di, cam phasing and some other shit

C6 chassis was world class upon debut, just needed more rigidity to deal with power. Pretty sure new chassis will use high strength steel and be lighter and stiffer than old one

In other words... Cougs eats cowpie, yet again

2o6

I think Cougs is right on the fact that the C7 won't be all that 'new'. IMO, the current model's shortcomings are superficial at best. A new interior and some nice styling with retuned suspension and chassis members will likely be the new C7.

MX793

I don't know.  C6 was completely new from the C5, which itself was an all-new car.  I don't think it's a stretch to believe that the C7 will be all-new rather than an extensive facelift.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on December 01, 2012, 04:49:43 PM
I think Cougs is right on the fact that the C7 won't be all that 'new'. IMO, the current model's shortcomings are superficial at best. A new interior and some nice styling with retuned suspension and chassis members will likely be the new C7.

And all that makes it "not all that new"? It's going to be as new as a Corvette can be, unless they start deviating away from a 350 V8 based front engine RWD sportscar. I think it's going to be more new than the C6 was over the C5.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on December 01, 2012, 04:55:55 PM
And all that makes it "not all that new"? It's going to be as new as a Corvette can be, unless they start deviating away from a 350 V8 based front engine RWD sportscar. I think it's going to be more new than the C6 was over the C5.

It won't be new in the sense that the old chassis and basic hardware is the same as the old car. (Not a clean sheet design)

Besides, as MX793 said, I don't think the C6 and C5 shared much of anything.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on December 01, 2012, 04:49:43 PM

I didn't assert or guarantee that it wouldn't be all new; I'm guessing that it's a good possibility. A LOT of models under design in the 2008-2010 time frame got way scaled back owing to the uncertainty of the economic outlook at the time; ergo, the not "all new" models or rebadge jobs. Point in fact despite all the carrying on about a new 5.5L pooprod motor, the C7 will still be using the 6.2L mill.

Sporty's just bent after getting absolutely decimated in a thread about engine accessories. I dunno - he sets himself up so easily these days.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
My friend thinks the next 'Vette is slated to be mid-engine. :confused: :rolleyes:

I think I've been hearing rumours about that for thirty years or so now.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

It drives awesome in GT5.  Just saying.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 01, 2012, 05:38:11 PM
I think I've been hearing rumours about that for thirty years or so now.

Wasn't there a mid-engine Wankel prototype back in the early 70's?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on December 01, 2012, 05:40:07 PM
Wasn't there a mid-engine Wankel prototype back in the early 70's?

There were several version of what they called the "aerovette," which was wankel powered in at least one of its iterations.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

And I thought this thread was about a new Citroen.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

New edition of C&D has a good expose on the C7; supposedly from inside sources. If true, it is indeed an all new car - ~3,000 lb curb weight target, 7 sp M/T or 8 sp A/T, "new" 450 hp LT1 6.2L pooprod with VVT + DI, electronic/digital dash, all external LED lights (including square taillights akin so the new Camaro and Malibu), and the Delphi magnetic shock system. It will also see a rather large ~10% price bump to over $50k base MSRP. It'll still have the leaf springs and core body structure so that speaks to continuation of ride and jiggly structural issues. So, looks like it will be a nice effort, but it'll still be a Corvette.

This c7 needs to be all new.  The C6 was Not all new from the C5.  The exterior and interior appearance changed and displacement was punched out, but the Y body chassis was essentially the same.  You can swap some of the suspension components between the C5 and C6 directly.

Lebowski

Yes, I am eggcited!  I'll see it next month in Detroit, could well be my next car.

I too read 7spd manual and rumored square tail lights ... I think the latter would be a mistake, but we'll see.

Evolutionary is fine w/ me, the C6 is the best car in its class for the price, even the interior doesn't bother me.

SVT666

They have to get rid of that leaf spring if they ever want to truly be great.   I know it's not like the leaf springs of yore,  but no matter how good the Corvette is,  it would be better without it.  Just like the Mustang and the live axle.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on December 02, 2012, 10:19:40 AM
They have to get rid of that leaf spring if they ever want to truly be great.   I know it's not like the leaf springs of yore,  but no matter how good the Corvette is,  it would be better without it.  Just like the Mustang and the live axle.

Why? It's light, it's unique, and with the magnetowhatever shocks it helps make the 'Vette one of the best handling cars in the world.

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on December 02, 2012, 10:52:08 AM
Why? It's light, it's unique, and with the magnetowhatever shocks it helps make the 'Vette one of the best handling cars in the world.
It's unique for a good reason.  And it' s not one of the best handling cars.   It's very fast but even with the magneto shocks it is still known for being twitchy and jittery.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on December 02, 2012, 11:15:03 AM
It's unique for a good reason.  And it' s not one of the best handling cars.   It's very fast but even with the magneto shocks it is still known for being twitchy and jittery.

Probably more a function of chassis rigidity than the type of spring used.  There have been plenty of cars with coil-overs that have been considered twitchy and jittery.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5