Favorite driving position?

Started by Laconian, December 07, 2012, 08:58:02 AM

Rich

I put the seat as low as it will go, and then pull the steering wheel towards me as far it will go if the car has fully adjustable column.  Then recline the seat back some so all the pressure isn't on my ass.  Then move the seat forward until I can set my wrists on top of the steering wheel without straining.  If that gives me too little legroom, then I give/take between the seat fore/aft adjustment and the seatback recline position.

This is impossible in Nissans, unless the seatback is vertical.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on December 09, 2012, 06:31:33 PM
Second position doesn't sound very comfortable...

It isn't exactly comfortable, and it probably sounds worse than it actually is.  But, for aggressive driving, it's a great position.  Keeps everything within reach and my body stays planted.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 09, 2012, 06:18:17 PM

I refer to this as the "dee-troit lean," yet I've realized it could be called the chicago lean, the DC lean or the Atlanta lean with equal accuracy.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

giant_mtb

VTEC_Inside

Seat as upright as possible, or at most one notch back.

Slight bend in clutch knee with it to the ground.

Never given much thought to steering wheel position. Always had it as low as possible in the Accord, but that car only had like 2mm of adjustment in the first place.

I know I don't have the RSX one all the way down. The CSX I have no clue since its all fancy with telescoping too... ooo ahhhh...
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

hotrodalex

MrH

Wow, today I learned I drive a lot different than you guys.  Also, I prefer my women in different positions :lol:

I'm 6'2", basically all torso.  So my seat is usually dropped as low as possible in the back, with the front of it raised as much as possible.  So basically it's cradling my legs.  Pretty decent lean back (I don't know what it is, but I can't sit ram rod straight with a flat bottom chair.  My hips and ass aren't big enough to comfortably support my shoulders).  Seat somewhere in the middle (not too close, not too far). Wheel is usually tilted up fully and extended out fully.

This allows me to heel toe, drive comfortably for hours, and a pretty decent arm bend to able to swing the wheel around quickly.  If I'm driving all day, sometimes I'll inch up or back the seat a little, recline a little more/less to keep from getting stiff.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

When I get into a car, it's always the same routine.

Seat as low as it will go
seat distance till my clutch leg is slightly bent when the clutch is all the way down
steering wheel as low as it will go, and then telescoped as far out as it will go,
seat angle so that my wrist can drape over the top of the wheel when my arm is fully extended.
the mirrors so that there is only a little overlap between the 3 mirrors.
passenger seat distance and angle so that it is in line with passenger side B pillar (if there is one)
for night driving I have the instrument lighting as dim as it can go.

S204STi

Missionary.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S204STi

Rupert

Y'all gotta try the double-reverse missionary.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

CJ

CALL_911

Quote from: 565 on December 23, 2012, 06:28:15 PM
When I get into a car, it's always the same routine.

Seat as low as it will go
seat distance till my clutch leg is slightly bent when the clutch is all the way down
steering wheel as low as it will go, and then telescoped as far out as it will go,
seat angle so that my wrist can drape over the top of the wheel when my arm is fully extended.
the mirrors so that there is only a little overlap between the 3 mirrors.
passenger seat distance and angle so that it is in line with passenger side B pillar (if there is one)
for night driving I have the instrument lighting as dim as it can go.

I switched my driving position (which was high and upright; felt like I was sitting on the car rather than in it) to almost exactly this, feels gooooood

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Byteme

veeman

If it's in a car which requires the key in the ignition switch, the bottom of the key fob or any other attached keys must not touch my right leg/knee.  That really annoys me.  Also the steering wheel can't block the view of portions of the guages, which happens if it's too low.  Some seats have this extra button for increased lumbar support.  I cannot have that button activated at all.  Feels like someone is kneeing me in the small of my back. 

Seat not so far back that my wrists don't comfortably drape the top of the steering wheel or my legs don't have a little bend in them when the brake or clutch is fully activated.  I usually raise the seat "head" about half way up so that if I lean my head back, the back of my head lies in the center of the seat "head". Seat mostly upright.  Seat belt on such that the chest strap is fairly snug but the waist strap has more give in it (particularly if I've had a heavy meal).  Seat height depends on the car.  If the hood of the car is long, I'll sit a little higher to see more over the hood.  I'm a little conscious of being on the shorter side (5'8") and so I usually have the seat just a wee bit higher because it makes me feel better anyways.  My torso and legs are proportional for my height.   

AutobahnSHO

lumbar support usually bothers me to the extreme but on long drives i crank it up some and it helps from getting a sore back.

Anything over 2-3hrs though I vary it up a lot, try to use cruise control as much as possible and adjust seating positions for variety.
Will

68_427

I like to have my back rest in the second or third most upright position, my steering wheel low enough so I can just see the tops of my gauges, and my seat close enough so I can barely get my leg under the steering column and onto the brakes without smashing my knee into the column.

Racecar
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

My favorite sex position is...

Oh wait, driving position.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Rupert

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on December 25, 2012, 12:41:54 AM
Y'all gotta try the double-reverse missionary.

That will only work in a 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Wagon! ;)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Inverted self-service double pumper wheelbarrow with four on the floor and a locked rear end. :ohyeah:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Normal driving position: seat low and slightly tilted back, seat-back slightly reclined, seat assembly pushed far back, wheel level and telescoped inward.

Favorite driving position: seat medium-low and moderately tilted, seat-back significantly reclined, seat assembly pushed back, wheel canted upwards and telescoped moderately outward.

What do you call doggystyle when she lays flat and your legs are on the outside?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

J86

Quote from: Tave on October 13, 2014, 05:33:57 PM
Normal driving position: seat low and slightly tilted back, seat-back slightly reclined, seat assembly pushed far back, wheel level and telescoped inward.

Favorite driving position: seat medium-low and moderately tilted, seat-back significantly reclined, seat assembly pushed back, wheel canted upwards and telescoped moderately outward.

What do you call doggystyle when she lays flat and your legs are on the outside?

I always understood her on all fours to be an essential element of doggystyle.  Her laying flat would be something else entirely, in my book.

hotrodalex

Feet shoulder width apart, front foot slightly toed out to allow for better rotation. Balanced on the balls of your feet, squared up with the ball, location fore-aft depending on which club you're using. Knees slightly bent, spine at a 90* angle to the shaft, but slightly leaning to the right. Chin up. Hands just off the zipper/thigh. Stay relaxed and tension-free, bring her back and then full steam ahead, making sure to follow through and then bask in the glory of your work.