Edmunds: Buick Encore

Started by 68_427, December 07, 2012, 02:30:08 PM

2o6

Quote from: MrH on December 23, 2012, 12:47:21 PM
And you can tell that from one highly doctored picture?

I wasn't insulating that it is good or bad, but that it might be good, and no one should care how it's put together as long as it looks good. (To an extent)

Colin

Quote from: 2o6 on December 23, 2012, 01:52:01 PM
I wasn't insulating ............

You weren't what?

I don't think that's the verb you intended?

2o6

Quote from: Colin on December 23, 2012, 02:03:00 PM
You weren't what?

I don't think that's the verb you intended?

Insulating. I was trying to keep the car warm.  :lol:

I should proofread after I spell check. I meant insinuating.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on December 23, 2012, 01:52:01 PM
I wasn't insulating that it is good or bad, but that it might be good, and no one should care how it's put together as long as it looks good. (To an extent)

There was nothing insinuated. It was explicitly said the interior is great. And it has nothing to with how it's "put together". You're saying it looks and feels good (or at least defending those who are saying it) based on one press photo...

:confused:

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on December 23, 2012, 03:20:36 PM
There was nothing insinuated. It was explicitly said the interior is great. And it has nothing to with how it's "put together". You're saying it looks and feels good (or at least defending those who are saying it) based on one press photo...

:confused:

So it's not a good interior? It looks good in photos.

MrH

How are you having trouble following this conversation?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on December 23, 2012, 04:23:35 PM
How are you having trouble following this conversation?

My bad, when you said

Quote from: MrH on December 15, 2012, 11:30:49 AM
Press photos are one hell of a trick! :lol:

I thought this meant you've worked on it, and like the Malibu, it's suspect in construction. Despite it looking nice in photos; I have seen live photos of the car - IMO it looks nice.

I said it doesn't matter how it's put together, just as long as it looks and feels nice. I didn't say explicitly in that sentence if the car was nice to be inside or not. Obviously, no one knows actual quality....(unless they've been inside).

MrH

Haven't worked on this car explicitly, but I'm familiar with it. Press photos always look good. I'm just laughing at everyone thinking how good the interior supposedly is. Going to be disappointed I think haha
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on December 23, 2012, 04:41:01 PM
Haven't worked on this car explicitly, but I'm familiar with it. Press photos always look good. I'm just laughing at everyone thinking how good the interior supposedly is. Going to be disappointed I think haha

Is it as good as the Verano? Consumers don't care about the engineering microdecisions, just so long as it looks nice (in photographs, it accomplishes this) and feels nice.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on December 23, 2012, 04:44:05 PM
Is it as good as the Verano? Consumers don't care about the engineering microdecisions, just so long as it looks nice (in photographs, it accomplishes this) and feels nice.

Did I ever say anything about "engineering microdecisions" (whatever that's supposed to mean)?

Whole instrument panel is painted plastic. :huh:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on December 23, 2012, 04:44:05 PM

So the car can be a pile of crap but look good in pictures, and consumers are with that? Come on, that's just a silly statement and you know it.

Why are you a Buick Encore apologist all of the sudden? What do you even care if this car is good or terrible?

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on December 23, 2012, 06:07:39 PM
So the car can be a pile of crap but look good in pictures, and consumers are with that? Come on, that's just a silly statement and you know it.

Why are you a Buick Encore apologist all of the sudden? What do you even care if this car is good or terrible?

You're missing my point. As long as it looks good, feels nice, stays together, who cares how it's made? I'm not being an apologist, I'm just saying how the average consumer thinks.

Catman

I think Audi should be concerned.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Catman on December 23, 2012, 06:52:39 PM
I think Audi should be concerned.

I think you should be concerned.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: MrH on December 23, 2012, 12:47:21 PM
And you can tell that from one highly doctored picture?

Not this again...

I think we need to make a new forum rule: No one can comment on an interior until said comment has been approved by our resident interior-engineering expert.

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on December 23, 2012, 06:29:36 PM
You're missing my point. As long as it looks good, feels nice, stays together, who cares how it's made? I'm not being an apologist, I'm just saying how the average consumer thinks.

Huh? If it looks good, feels nice and stays together, it's probably made well.

But then there are some cars you just KNOW are cheaply made from how they feel and drive.

MrH

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 23, 2012, 09:33:08 PM
Not this again...

I think we need to make a new forum rule: No one can comment on an interior until said comment has been approved by our resident interior-engineering expert.

No, I'm just tired of people jizzing over or completely tearing a car apart over whether "the materials look high quality".  I just ask for people to explain themselves, instead of trying to hide their obvious brand bias in thinly veiled cliche phrases they can't even explain.

Should I start commenting on how awesome or terrible cars are based on how good they appear to drive, based on press photos of the exterior?  I don't think it's a bad thing to try and encourage more intelligent discussion around here than just gut, baseless reactions.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on December 15, 2012, 11:30:49 AM
Press photos are one hell of a trick! :lol:

Well, I said looks nice.  You can tell from here that the materials are cheap and they're not that well put together.  I can tell that all from pictures, you know. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on December 24, 2012, 02:17:55 PM
No, I'm just tired of people jizzing over or completely tearing a car apart over whether "the materials look high quality".  I just ask for people to explain themselves, instead of trying to hide their obvious brand bias in thinly veiled cliche phrases they can't even explain.

Should I start commenting on how awesome or terrible cars are based on how good they appear to drive, based on press photos of the exterior?  I don't think it's a bad thing to try and encourage more intelligent discussion around here than just gut, baseless reactions.

I know you mean well and all, but you flaunting your "insider industry knowledge" is a lot like Teuton teasing us with old news due to his job. It gets old after a while.

Just because someone says an interior looks nice or otherwise, doesn't mean you have to jump down their throat about it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Quote from: thecarnut on December 25, 2012, 11:28:14 AM
I know you mean well and all, but you flaunting your "insider industry knowledge" is a lot like Teuton teasing us with old news due to his job. It gets old after a while.

Just because someone says an interior looks nice or otherwise, doesn't mean you have to jump down their throat about it.

I'm not flaunting "insider" knowledge.  It was said tongue-in-cheek.  I even put a smiley after it, hoping you guys would take it as a joke!

I just thought it was funny people are so judgmental over one press photo and form such strong opinions based off that.  It always looks drastically different in non-doctored photos, and even more different in person.  I can't even find a picture of a Panamera that's decent enough looking to put as my desktop, but I love them in person.  I'm just trying to be open to things until I see them in person, that's all.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Colin

Quote from: MrH on December 28, 2012, 02:18:16 PM.  I'm just trying to be open to things until I see them in person, that's all.
:clap:

There are far too many vicarious experts around - including a few culprits here - who blindly and dogmatically either regurgitate what they have read in some mag or base their assessments on carefully prepared photos and press releases. 

You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion, and for it to go against the norm, but for heaven's sake (and this is what MrH is calling out), kindly make it on some form of personal experience. You have no idea how a car drives unless you've actually driven it, despite a lot of nonsense I read here from people who've clearly only driven a very small sample of cars and not the one they are talking about, and you can only judge on the true interior quality if you have seen it in person.

There is no more to say.     

veeman

Quote from: Colin on December 28, 2012, 03:16:31 PM
   :clap:

There are far too many vicarious experts around - including a few culprits here - who blindly and dogmatically either regurgitate what they have read in some mag or base their assessments on carefully prepared photos and press releases. 

You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion, and for it to go against the norm, but for heaven's sake (and this is what MrH is calling out), kindly make it on some form of personal experience. You have no idea how a car drives unless you've actually driven it, despite a lot of nonsense I read here from people who've clearly only driven a very small sample of cars and not the one they are talking about, and you can only judge on the true interior quality if you have seen it in person.

There is no more to say.     

Umm, there is more to say...

Last I checked this is a forum.  A place to talk about cars.  And i think most people understand that the opinions they are getting are not expert opinions for the most part.  if we were only supposed to comment on stuff based on personal experience, then this would be a really really boring forum with extremely few postings because what's there to talk about?  i shouldn't comment upon anything other than what i've personally driven? 

obviously someone's opinion holds more weight if they've dash stroked or driven a particular vehicle.  but that's not to say all the other opinions are completely discounted.  no one should be taking this stuff too seriously anyways...  it is a forum whose purpose is mostly self entertainment.

Colin

There is a world of difference between expressing an opinion on something ("I like the look of the new Ford Fusion..............") and trying to pass off as fact ("all Audis understeer and have dead steering"). The former is perfectly legitimate comment based on whatever information sources are available to the author......... the latter is completely unjustifiable without some form of personal experience. My gripe is that even on places that are, as you correctly say, largely for people's enjoyment, we get an awful lot of the latter sort of comment, based on no experience at all and people simply regurgitating the stuff that they have read elsewhere, a lot of which is not even accurate.