Infiniti's goofy new naming scheme

Started by afty, December 17, 2012, 11:08:00 PM

Char

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Char

... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Colonel Cadillac

Audi hoods can stand up on their own.

Raza

Quote from: Char on December 24, 2012, 11:47:47 AM
Not relevant? You insulting me personally because I don't share the same view as you are NOT relevant. What IS relevant to the discussion is talking about Infiniti's direction, now that it's headed by a former Audi employee. My distain for Audi is within perfect context to for this discussion, especially because I was asked directly. What is your excuse?

And now that we have everyone's attention, why don't know explain to me and everyone else how the Audi Quattro was directly responsible for the BNR32 GTR.  Prove to everyone here how a the GTR, which never competed with Audi's Quattro, used the car as their basis of the GT-R design. You apparently know more than I on this, which should be expected of someone who drives a Z4, a vastly superior automobile compared to my Nissan quest.

You really don't understand how the grandfather of AWD racing heritage led to the development of AWD GT and supercars?  Then there's nothing I can explain to you.  Audi paved the way and proved how useful a platform like that can be.  I'm not alleging that Nissan pulled apart a Quattro when developing the GT-R.  I'm saying the Quattro opened the doors for further AWD development.  Every AWD performance car owes its existence to the Quattro.

And saying that you don't know shit isn't an insult, it's an observation. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

cawimmer430

Quote from: Char on December 23, 2012, 03:58:19 PM
It's because I don't get it. I don't understand the fervor for a subpar brand that has never built anything significant or even legendary, or achieved any engineering feat worthy of my attention. The entire range of cars across all their brands represent what I consider the most revolting compromise of style over substance.

Are you sure about that?

There's a gigantic building in Ingolstadt called the Audi Museum. I've been there - twice. In it you can view and appreciate all the historic Audi's and the achievements of the brand. There are many. Americans simply don't know about them - and don't care about them.

Quote from: Char on December 23, 2012, 03:58:19 PMThis is very unlike Lexus, a brand that was unknown 30 years ago, is now a segment leader offering daring style, technological innovation, reliability and extreme quality, and doesn't settle for being "almost."

When I walk through the Lexus Museum, I...wait a minute. What Lexus Museum?

From a European perspective it's Lexus which is the lame ass sub-par brand. No history or heritage (prestige) and virtually zero engine choices make them a brand to avoid in Europe if you're looking for prestigious luxury.

Lexus is a big player in the US. That's it. Elsewhere they're not on the radar. A boring brand with few vehicle options and engines = no appeal elsewhere.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AltinD

LEXUS doesn't settle for being almost ..... yes, that's why they have to be priced so much cheapper then the German competition, in order to generate sales.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Char

Quote from: Raza  on December 24, 2012, 09:25:33 PM
You really don't understand how the grandfather of AWD racing heritage led to the development of AWD GT and supercars?  Then there's nothing I can explain to you.  Audi paved the way and proved how useful a platform like that can be.  I'm not alleging that Nissan pulled apart a Quattro when developing the GT-R.  I'm saying the Quattro opened the doors for further AWD development.  Every AWD performance car owes its existence to the Quattro.

And saying that you don't know shit isn't an insult, it's an observation.

Like I said, predictable. First you walk back on your previous statement, and now you counter with another false statement. The Audi Quattro wasn't considered any type of super car/ higher performance GT. If any automaker deserves credit for making AWD supers cars viable option, it would be Porsche with their 959. The 959 development started in the early 80s, around the same time Audi started to campaign the Quattro, and it was Porsche's success, not Audi, that set the bar years to come. Another smack to the face of your theory was Porsche pulling out of  Group B rally racing (where the Quattro had most of its success) instead focusing on road racing. Needless to say, the 959 set the bar for cars to come, including future 911s.

If you would have argued that Audi was one of the first to pioneer the use of AWD cars, I wouldn't have disagreed. But to make a blatantly false statement that the Quattro set the bar for high performance cars generations later shows that you are either dishonest, or dumb. You can pick.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Char on December 25, 2012, 10:46:27 AM
Like I said, predictable. First you walk back on your previous statement, and now you counter with another false statement. The Audi Quattro wasn't considered any type of super car/ higher performance GT. If any automaker deserves credit for making AWD supers cars viable option, it would be Porsche with their 959. The 959 development started in the early 80s, around the same time Audi started to campaign the Quattro. It was Porsche's success, not Audi, that set the bar years to come. Another smack to the face of your theory was Porsche pulling out of  Group B rally racing (where the Quattro had most of its success) instead focusing on road racing. Needless to say, the 959 set the bar for cars to come, including future 911s.

If you would have argued that Audi was one of the first to pioneer the use of AWD cars, I wouldn't have disagreed. But to make a blatantly false statement that the Quattro set the bar for high performance cars generations later shows that you are either dishonest, or dumb. You can pick.

Um, Subaru has been making AWD cars before Audi.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Char

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 25, 2012, 07:14:06 AM
Are you sure about that?

There's a gigantic building in Ingolstadt called the Audi Museum. I've been there - twice. In it you can view and appreciate all the historic Audi's and the achievements of the brand. There are many. Americans simply don't know about them - and don't care about them.

When I walk through the Lexus Museum, I...wait a minute. What Lexus Museum?

From a European perspective it's Lexus which is the lame ass sub-par brand. No history or heritage (prestige) and virtually zero engine choices make them a brand to avoid in Europe if you're looking for prestigious luxury.

Lexus is a big player in the US. That's it. Elsewhere they're not on the radar. A boring brand with few vehicle options and engines = no appeal elsewhere.

Nobody cares. Europeans are biased towards European brands, so congratulations on being ignorant (and proud!) Americans are a lot of things, but I can say we are generally less xenophobic and smarter consumers than our European counterparts. Don't bother responding to this either, I don't care what you have to say about history/heritage/prestige.  Building the brand on what you accomplished 30 years ago just shows how insignificant you have become and how little you have contributed today.

Merry Xmas all.

Char

Quote from: thecarnut on December 25, 2012, 10:51:40 AM
Um, Subaru has been making AWD cars before Audi.

Then why are you quoting me, I never stated otherwise?

CALL_911

Much as I disagree with a lot of what he's said earlier, ^this post hits the nail on the head WRT H&H.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Char on December 25, 2012, 10:56:26 AM
Then why are you quoting me, I never stated otherwise?

Quote from: Char on December 25, 2012, 10:46:27 AM

If you would have argued that Audi was one of the first to pioneer the use of AWD cars, I wouldn't have disagreed.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Quote from: Char on December 25, 2012, 10:55:15 AMBuilding the brand on what you accomplished 30 years ago just shows how insignificant you have become and how little you have contributed today.

I'm going to respond to this because you claimed that Audi has achieved nothing worth mentioning when in fact they have. Not only 30 years ago, but today as well. Audi's product range is appealing in many ways. Their recent achievements in LeMans using TDI-power have also elevated their status and prestige in the eyes of many consumers all over the world.

To put it short: Audi is the rising star in the global luxury market and there's a reason for that.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Char

Quote from: thecarnut on December 25, 2012, 11:25:57 AM

Do I need to give you a lesson in context and reading comprehension? Again, I never said Audi was the first to utilize the AWD, I did state that if Raza wanted to make an argument for Audi's success utilizing it, I wouldn't have questioned it. 

Colonel Cadillac

Char's argument about Audi can be applied to about 85% of the car market, therefore it should be ignored.

Char

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 25, 2012, 07:31:46 PM
Char's argument about Audi can be applied to about 85% of the car market, therefore it should be ignored.

But you don't deny it's true. I think that speaks volumes.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Char on December 25, 2012, 09:14:29 PM
But you don't deny it's true. I think that speaks volumes.

Learn to read between the lines.

Char

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Char on December 25, 2012, 09:30:40 PM
:rolleyes:

It speaks volumes that you don't deny that you don't understand my point.

Char

Colin

There's a lot of ill-formed prejudice in this thread.

Let's put a few facts into ithe "debate".

The Audi Quattro was laucnhed in 1980. It was not a "supercar" in the establihsed sense of the word, but its achievments in taking the rallying world by storm and the consequent benefits to road cars were noticed by just about everyone and did lead to a vast increase in the number of performance oriented 4WD cars on sale.

Porsche 959 did not appear until 1988 so you cannot really claim that the two were developed at more or less the same time.

The Audi 100 of 1982 was also one of the first cars to exploit the efficiency gains of an aerodynamic bodyshell, with a world beating cd of 0.30 at the time. Again it was not the first, but others quickly followed.

And there was Procon-Ten, a safety system which pulled the steering column forwards in a frontal impact away from the driver's chest - not something that was copied as everyone else went for the air bag solution, and Audi eventually did the same.

And what about the first A8, a car that used aluminium for strength and lightweight? Again, others have copied this (eg Jaguar).

As Wimmer says, Audi has a proud tradition of "Vorpsrung durch Technik" which goes back through the complex history of the marque from the last 100 years, which is well presented in the fantastic Audi Museum in Ingolsdat which he and I visited. Report here: http://themotor.net/?p=182

It is true that Lexus does indeed outsell Audi on the US market, but it is also true that this is not repeated throughout the rest of the world. In Europe, Lexus sales amount to a tiny number per year, less than 10,000 in a market of 1.8 million in the UK. The LS sold less than 100 cars in UK last year, and the GS did little better. The IS struggled to clear 1000 cars. the much vaunted CT failed to make any inroads into the all important fleet market. I don't believe they performed any better in France, Germany or Italy. The words "daring" to describe their design are not ones you often see, but as that is a subejctive term, then I am not going to express my own opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and personal views are not always based on purely rational and empirical analysis of the facts. That is only human.

Char clearly does not like Audi, and he is quite entitled to that view. Not everyone will agree, but the unpleasant tone to the way that it is repeatedly expressed is getting very wearing.

sportyaccordy

959 development started in 81 and it debuted in 86

Otherwise good post as always Colin

Audi still just doesn't do it for me though... but I do give them credit for not completely submitting to the niche within a niche within a niche madness of their German counterparts.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 26, 2012, 07:47:54 AM
959 development started in 81 and it debuted in 86

Otherwise good post as always Colin

Audi still just doesn't do it for me though... but I do give them credit for not completely submitting to the niche within a niche within a niche madness of their German counterparts.

You also think all they do is understeer.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 26, 2012, 08:33:52 AM
You also think all they do is understeer.
The older ones (till the B8) all kinda do...
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Colonel Cadillac

After I put good tires on my car, my car oversteers more than it understeers.