Infiniti's goofy new naming scheme

Started by afty, December 17, 2012, 11:08:00 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Char on December 20, 2012, 04:36:45 PM
So how long before we have rebadged sentras with Ugly Megamouth styling, and crappy motors?
Theyre building a plant in England. Patience good man, the lolface mouth $40K Sentra is coming :lol:

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Raza  on December 20, 2012, 08:52:50 AM
This is a record-breaking year for Audi, but their previous record was set in 2011 at 117,561 cars.  Acura sold 123,299 in 2011 (down 10,000 from 2010, where Audi only had 101,629).  In comparison, Mercedes sold 261,808 and BMW sold 247,907 in 2011.

:praise: Audi's on the up and up!

Colin

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 21, 2012, 09:12:28 AM
Theyre building a plant in England. Patience good man, the lolface mouth $40K Sentra is coming :lol:
I don't believe they are building it.......... they will use the existing plant in Sunderland that currently churns out Qashqais and Notes and once upon a time used to build Bluebirds, Primera and even Micra

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on December 20, 2012, 08:52:50 AM
This is a record-breaking year for Audi, but their previous record was set in 2011 at 117,561 cars.  Acura sold 123,299 in 2011 (down 10,000 from 2010, where Audi only had 101,629).  In comparison, Mercedes sold 261,808 and BMW sold 247,907 in 2011. 

But Acura only sells their cars in US, Canada, Mexico and China while Audi is global. 

Char

Can we not talk about Audi in every thread as if it were an automotive God send? It's bad enough Infinti is going to become another watered down VW like brand.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Char on December 21, 2012, 06:27:36 PM
Can we not talk about Audi in every thread as if it were an automotive God send? It's bad enough Infinti is going to become another watered down VW like brand.

Ummm....no?

TurboDan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 21, 2012, 09:12:28 AM

They sold a rebadged Nissan Primera here for many years, so there's a kinda-sorta precedent.  :devil:

Char

Quote from: TurboDan on December 21, 2012, 06:54:04 PM
They sold a rebadged Nissan Primera here for many years, so there's a kinda-sorta precedent.  :devil:
True story. Though in Nissan's defense, they never offered the Primera in the US. Still, I'm afraid Infiniti will be the Japanese Audi. :(
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: Char on December 21, 2012, 07:15:07 PM
True story. Though in Nissan's defense, they never offered the Primera in the US. Still, I'm afraid Infiniti will be the Japanese Audi. :(

Audi is very successful.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on December 21, 2012, 07:36:13 AM
Beloved?  I say burn baby burn.

But yeah, I agree.  Behind the usual brands that have one foot in the grave already (mostly just Mitsubishi), PSA is probably the closest to falling on their face completely.

I would actually benefit directly for Mitsubishi to stop selling cars in the U.S., but the Outlander Sport isn't going anywhere soon.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Char on December 21, 2012, 07:15:07 PM
What is your beef w/VW/Audi??? Lol @ saying you don't want to make every thread about Audi, and then calling Inifiniti the Japanese Audi. I am not a big VW/Audi fan either but its not that serious.

I am a little worried for Infiniti. I think they peaked in the mid aughts. Yes the original G35 wasn't quite the jewel the same year 3 series were, but it was fast, fun, somewhat luxurious, great looking and cheap. Next gen G... Q?... is supposed to be bigger (surprise surprise), and most likely heavier + still running a VQ to its ragged edge. And they're gonna have a $40K Sentra slot under it, rather than a small RWD car. Infiniti's styling has also taken a turn for the worse, with the allergic-reaction M and the corporate Jeremy Clarkson Ariel Atom face. IWTO is on hiatus for an indefinite period.

cawimmer430

Didn't Mitsubishi say they're were going to leave the US market like five years ago? What are they still doing there if they can't sell shit?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 22, 2012, 02:59:35 PM
Didn't Mitsubishi say they're were going to leave the US market like five years ago? What are they still doing there if they can't sell shit?

Aren't they similiarly mediocre in Europe? Here, they only sell three cars, i-Miev (which is a terrible deal when compared to the wayyy better Leaf and Volt), Lancer (old as sin and it shows), Outlander Sport (only decent product they sell), and Outlander (which is being replaced with the new blandular Outlander). Eclipse and Galant are no longer sold, but no big deal because they sucked anyways. IIRC, we don't move many units at our Mitsubishi franchise.

Hmmm maybe the naming change represents a big new offensive move on Infiniti's part.

http://www.insideline.com/infiniti/new-550-horsepower-infiniti-flagship-sedan-in-the-works.html

Nissan seems to have random spurts of advancement followed by periods of mediocrity in-between.   In the early 2000s, Nissan put the then awesome VQ into pretty much every car they made, revolutionized performance in the midsize sedan with the 240hp Altima. Reintroduced the affordable sports car with the Z, and then gave BMW a real run for the money with the G, and then the M35/45. 

Then nothing really happened for a while.  Then  they basically pwned the world with the creation of the GT-R, and then made the first real mainstream electric car with the Nissan leaf, and then went back to not doing much.

Maybe this is a sign that Nissan is mobilizing again.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on December 22, 2012, 09:51:28 PM
Aren't they similiarly mediocre in Europe? Here, they only sell three cars, i-Miev (which is a terrible deal when compared to the wayyy better Leaf and Volt), Lancer (old as sin and it shows), Outlander Sport (only decent product they sell), and Outlander (which is being replaced with the new blandular Outlander). Eclipse and Galant are no longer sold, but no big deal because they sucked anyways. IIRC, we don't move many units at our Mitsubishi franchise.

Their product range is a bit larger in Europe and from a sales perspective I guess they're doing ok. They're certainly not contemplating leaving the European market.

Mitsubishi has always enjoyed a reputation here for building affordable, well-made and reliable cars.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Char

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 22, 2012, 09:29:05 AM
What is your beef w/VW/Audi??? Lol @ saying you don't want to make every thread about Audi, and then calling Inifiniti the Japanese Audi. I am not a big VW/Audi fan either but its not that serious.

I am a little worried for Infiniti. I think they peaked in the mid aughts. Yes the original G35 wasn't quite the jewel the same year 3 series were, but it was fast, fun, somewhat luxurious, great looking and cheap. Next gen G... Q?... is supposed to be bigger (surprise surprise), and most likely heavier + still running a VQ to its ragged edge. And they're gonna have a $40K Sentra slot under it, rather than a small RWD car. Infiniti's styling has also taken a turn for the worse, with the allergic-reaction M and the corporate Jeremy Clarkson Ariel Atom face. IWTO is on hiatus for an indefinite period.

You want to know the truth?

It's because I don't get it. I don't understand the fervor for a subpar brand that has never built anything significant or even legendary, or achieved any engineering feat worthy of my attention. The entire range of cars across all their brands represent what I consider the most revolting compromise of style over substance.

Hear me out for a moment - I can't recall one Audi branded product that I could justifiably own over any of its counterparts, as they had nothing of substance to hold as beacon to potential buyers. A brand that 'small' engines with small output that produced just adequate acceleration and fuel economy, consistently bested by their Japanese counterparts, (Remember, this is the same company that still produces an engine with 8 valves, and 115hp. It's pathetic.) Priced higher than arguably cars that are better equipped and coupled extremely spectrums of styling (early 2000s Audi styling was very conservative, current styling is very extremely loud. And ugly.) And this would all be ok, if it weren't for the presumptuous owners who keep them afloat.
These people I despise the most, arrogantly parading around a brand whose crowning achievement is being almost as good as a BMW.  This is very unlike Lexus, a brand that was unknown 30 years ago, is now a segment leader offering daring style, technological innovation, reliability and extreme quality, and doesn't settle for being "almost." It is. Sure, the A4 might be an ok car, but why would you buy one over a Lexus? Is it more luxurious than a Lexus ES, more sporty than an IS, does it offer a better balance than a 3 series? Probably not. Essentially, true quality, engineering and substance are overlooked in the name of "style." The antiestablishment niche of these cars has essentially become the establishment, and if there ever was a brand that was the poster child of hipsters, Audi/VW would be the embodiment of it.

2o6

The whole segment is rife with "style over substance". It's what the niche was founded on, and it moves units.

Audi is on fire right now, deservedly. They make a great product.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on December 23, 2012, 04:05:12 PM
The whole segment is rife with "style over substance". It's what the niche was founded on, and it moves units.

Audi is on fire right now, deservedly. They make a great product.

Great product by what standard? What niche, a vehicle with nice styling that is an epic pile of shit? You sould like a woman. 
Do you want to drive a shitty car because it looks nice?
You are the worst type of consumer.

If it weren't for the file names, I honestly couldn't tell you which car was which.

2o6

I also think Audi's design language is far too close to one another, but I would not call a single one bad looking. Right now, they are probably have the best looking lineup on sale right now.

It looks good, and it feels and drives nicely inside and out.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on December 23, 2012, 04:27:06 PM
I also think Audi's design language is far too close to one another, but I would not call a single one bad looking. Right now, they are probably have the best looking lineup on sale right now.

It looks good, and it feels and drives nicely inside and out.

Whatever.  :rolleyes:

2o6

Quote from: Char on December 23, 2012, 04:30:12 PM
Whatever.  :rolleyes:

They are taking a market by storm. Why are you upset about that?

Catman

2o6

Quote from: Catman on December 23, 2012, 04:38:25 PM
We may get an Audi next year.  :evildude:

Infiniti only makes two sedans. Audi makes a plethora of cars and trucks.....

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on December 23, 2012, 04:32:07 PM
They are taking a market by storm. Why are you upset about that?

Yes, taking the market by selling less than Lexus Mercedes Acura Infiniti and BMW?  Sure.

Did you not see the beautiful, hastily written reply I wrote in response to Sporty's inquiry on my Audi hate? OF COURSE I'M UPSET. Kinda.  ;)

2o6

Quote from: Char on December 23, 2012, 04:40:32 PM
Yes.
And taking the marker by selling less than Lexus Mercedes Acura Infiniti and BMW?  Sure.

They don't offer the correct product for the market (at least, not the right one to get the amount of growth that Audi has). That is Lexus, MB, Acura, BMW, Cadillac, ect's fault.

Audi is doing well, and they deserve it. And I probably wouldn't buy any of their vehicles, either.

Catman

I want to see what Nissan does with the Maxima 2014 before we buy another sedan.

Char

Quote from: Catman on December 23, 2012, 04:47:45 PM
I want to see what Nissan does with the Maxima 2014 before we buy another sedan.
I'm with 565 on this, seasonal product blitz with periods of blandnes. Lately Nissan has made me hang my head in shame.

Catman

Quote from: Char on December 23, 2012, 04:49:42 PM
I'm with 565 on this, seasonal product blitz with periods of blandnes. Lately Nissan has made me hang my head in shame.

Yeah I will have to see what they come up with next year.

Catman

I think the new Sentra looks like a very nice effort for Nissan.