C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MiataJohn on August 06, 2013, 08:26:53 PM

Every new series introduction and first drive I remember in CD and R&T starting with the 1968 models always had the reviewers gushing about the newest and best Corvette like a 12 year old girl babbling about the newest cover boy in Tiger Beat.  The writers are always giddy, like they are having some kind of mass orgasm.  Complaints and reservations are always downplayed at intro and first drives (They are more strongly addressed in later reviews).

The difference this time is previous weak areas seem to have been addressed.  Time will tell if they are really fixed.  I'd hope they are.  Hell, I'm impressed and I don't even like Corvettes or GM.

Given the pricing and that Chevrolet only sells 20,000-25,000 a year I wonder what the profit margin (if any) is on the Corvette? 

They are still using a pushrod motor, so I imagine that costs them like 10 dollars to make. I'm guessing the profits are pretty good.

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on August 06, 2013, 08:26:53 PM

Every new series introduction and first drive I remember in CD and R&T starting with the 1968 models always had the reviewers gushing about the newest and best Corvette like a 12 year old girl babbling about the newest cover boy in Tiger Beat.  The writers are always giddy, like they are having some kind of mass orgasm.  Complaints and reservations are always downplayed at intro and first drives (They are more strongly addressed in later reviews).

The difference this time is previous weak areas seem to have been addressed.  Time will tell if they are really fixed.  I'd hope they are.  Hell, I'm impressed and I don't even like Corvettes or GM.

Given the pricing and that Chevrolet only sells 20,000-25,000 a year I wonder what the profit margin (if any) is on the Corvette? 

The M/T article was poorly written IMO though there is a lot of info. The C&D article was much better. What I picked up on: some grumbling about the standard seats (though stated to be vastly better than those of the C6), the 7 M/T shifter was a bit clunky, there's a bit of road noise, the fact that with all electronic nannies off the car is a total bear to control, and the poser paddle shifters in the 7 M/T car (used to turn on/off auto rev matching on downshifting). Not bad compared to the C6.

My hunch is there is little if any profit on a Corvette - there seems to be a LOT of cost in the torque tube, rear transaxle, AL space frame chassis, non-metal body panels, and the suspension (composite leaf springs + forged double wishbone suspension both F&R).

afty

Quote from: GoCougs on August 07, 2013, 08:08:50 AM
The M/T article was poorly written IMO though there is a lot of info.
That's basically what Motor Trend does, quantity over quality.  Their writing is terrible.

GoCougs

Quote from: afty on August 07, 2013, 10:45:13 AM
That's basically what Motor Trend does, quantity over quality.  Their writing is terrible.

This month M/T had a five-way comparo with the S4, 335iX, S60R, IS350 and ATS - it was absolutely AWFUL. Jumping to C&D was a HUGE breath of fresh air.

Thing is the M/T iPad app is pretty slick plus one can convert a print subscription to electronic. C&D's iPad app is sucky plus a print subscriber has to pay for the electronic subscription.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on August 06, 2013, 07:27:02 PM
In the C&D test the C7 Z51 out brakes the Viper GTS and 911 from 70-0. M/T has a brief blurb about the use of more iron vs. aluminum for better heat resistance.

On what planet is aluminum used for the actual braking surface? Were they talking about a 2-piece rotor?

GoCougs

Quote from: S204STi on August 07, 2013, 07:00:20 PM
On what planet is aluminum used for the actual braking surface? Were they talking about a 2-piece rotor?

Had something to do with the rotors; I don't have the mag in front of me so I can't exactly remember where/how...

Rich

Massive twitter war with Ralph Gillies and Scott Oldham at Edmunds over a cancelled Viper press fleet reservation.  Edmunds argument is that once SRT got wind it was going up the '14 Vette (and GTR/Porsche/etc...), SRT backed out and cancelled the press vehicle.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

I doubt SRT was thinking that. A while back some mag/site tried to publicly shame Ford by saying Ford wouldn't provide a Mustang after it learned it was going to be pitted against the then all-new Genesis Coupe (lol).

SRT probably got pissed about something but can't see that pitting a $100k Viper up against a $60k C7 was it. Sure, the C7 is going to be better built, handle/ride much better, and be vastly more liveable, but everyone already knows that ;).

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

"If equipped with the Z51 package,
the racing and competitive driving
wheel alignment settings should be
set as follows:
{Caution
Using these wheel alignment
settings may cause excessive tire
wear. Only use these wheel
alignment settings for racing or
competitive driving. Excessive tire
wear is not covered under the
vehicle warranty.
Alignment should only be done by
adjusting the lower control arm cam
bolts and not by removing the
washers between the upper control
arms and frame.
FRONT (per corner)
Caster: +7.0 degrees
Camber: -2.0 degrees
Toe: 0.05 degrees toe in

REAR (per corner)
Caster: 0 degrees
Camber: -1.7 degrees
Toe: 0.05 degrees toe in
Thrust Angle: 0 degrees"

I dig that they already have a recommended baseline alignment setting for track days.

S204STi

Also interesting, to me at least: oil capacity w/filter for Z51 package: 10.3 qts. (7 qts for non-Z51).

5w30 synth blend oil, except for track days, where 15w50 synthetic is recommended.

SVT666

Yeah, who puts track day wheel alignment settings and oil requirements in their owner's manuals?  Corvette, that's who.  Awesome.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT666 on September 03, 2013, 09:58:28 AM
Yeah, who puts track day wheel alignment settings and oil requirements in their owner's manuals?  Corvette, that's who.  Awesome.

:wanker:

SVT666

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT666 on September 03, 2013, 11:27:22 AM
:facepalm:

Lets work on getting 5% of vette owners to drive the car properly before we start to think people will get alignments before and after a track event.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: S204STi on September 03, 2013, 09:35:16 AM
Also interesting, to me at least: oil capacity w/filter for Z51 package: 10.3 qts. (7 qts for non-Z51).

5w30 synth blend oil, except for track days, where 15w50 synthetic is recommended.
I noticed that! The XM Antenna has been moved to the Wheel well also. Here's a 90 MINUTE seminar that one of the guys from the Corvette forums gave on the new infotainment center in the C7!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k8Q1ctnDa8&feature=player_embedded

2o6

I'm going to buck the trend and say

I think this car looks fucking terrible.

The C6 was pretty, if not slightly cheap looking. This car doesn't look as cheap, but I really cannot stomach the styling.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on September 04, 2013, 06:56:01 PM
I'm going to buck the trend and say

I think this car looks fucking terrible.

The C6 was pretty, if not slightly cheap looking. This car doesn't look as cheap, but I really cannot stomach the styling.
Thats fine! Lots of guys on the Vette forums picked up '13 Vettes for the same reason! No way in hell I would buy a C6 when I could afford a C7 but to each his own!

SVT666

I'm on the fence with the styling because I haven't seen it in person yet.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on September 04, 2013, 08:28:31 PM
I'm on the fence with the styling because I haven't seen it in person yet.
I think the C7 needed a big departure from the styling of the C6! Either way I'll own one in the next 5 years......

GoCougs

My hunch is the angles and vents aren't going to look as pronounced in person, esp. with different colors. The only cars I've really seen are the brilliant red and blue, which will definitely accentuate things.

The various reviews has this thing putting down absolutely monster performance numbers - definitely ahead of the 911 (though a tick slower than the PDK) - all the while being very civilized.

Catman

Looks great in person.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on September 03, 2013, 09:58:28 AM
All manufacturers make specialized recs. Ferrari manuals suggest which type of fire extinguisher to carry
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 05, 2013, 07:18:43 PM
All manufacturers make specialized recs. Ferrari manuals suggest which type of fire extinguisher to carry
Ferraris are fucking Ferraris.  This is a $50,000 Chevy.

hotrodalex

Ferrari is also probably trying to sell you an "official" fire extinguisher, which is just a normal one with a Ferrari logo on it. :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 06, 2013, 10:05:29 AM
Ferrari is also probably trying to sell you an "official" fire extinguisher, which is just a normal one with a Ferrari logo on it. :lol:
Or just a Fiat one painted like Fiaterrari Scuderia
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Gotta-Qik-C7