C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

mzziaz

As a Ford guy, it pains me to say this, but the C7 is a winner. What a great car.
Cuore Sportivo

FlatBlackCaddy

I haven't seen these things in person yet. I'm going to check them out once the local dealers get some.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

Quote from: S204STi on September 03, 2013, 09:18:54 AM
"If equipped with the Z51 package,
the racing and competitive driving
wheel alignment settings should be
set as follows:
{Caution
Using these wheel alignment
settings may cause excessive tire
wear. Only use these wheel
alignment settings for racing or
competitive driving. Excessive tire
wear is not covered under the
vehicle warranty.
Alignment should only be done by
adjusting the lower control arm cam
bolts and not by removing the
washers between the upper control
arms and frame.
FRONT (per corner)
Caster: +7.0 degrees
Camber: -2.0 degrees
Toe: 0.05 degrees toe in

REAR (per corner)
Caster: 0 degrees
Camber: -1.7 degrees
Toe: 0.05 degrees toe in
Thrust Angle: 0 degrees"

I dig that they already have a recommended baseline alignment setting for track days.

Anyone that do their own wheel alignmnets will also know how to find an alignmnet setting that works best for them... Neighbor Dave the amature track day hack isnt going to spend $$$ to align his wheels before and after each track day.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

Quote from: r0tor on September 28, 2013, 12:41:58 PM
Anyone that do their own wheel alignmnets will also know how to find an alignmnet setting that works best for them... Neighbor Dave the amature track day hack isnt going to spend $$$ to align his wheels before and after each track day.

This gives them a starting point from the factory...
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

Quote from: HotRodPilot on September 28, 2013, 12:52:20 PM
This gives them a starting point from the factory...

I can get the same info from any car forum that has a track section... big deal
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on September 28, 2013, 12:41:58 PM

:huh:

It's like $80 around here for an alignment.  If he has the expendable income for a Corvette and track time, he can probably handle $160 for a weekend here and there.

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on September 28, 2013, 01:20:23 PM
I can get the same info from any car forum that has a track section... big deal

Do you align your car for the given track or just do what the interwebs tell you?  Protip, you actually don't want perfectly equal camber settings for any given track, you set it for the most crucial corner.

FlatBlackCaddy

Protip: Out of the thousands of shops that perform alignments, I'd trust about 3 to do an actual decent job.

I've had cars "aligned" that where worse then when I brought them in.

S204STi

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 28, 2013, 01:37:28 PM
Protip: Out of the thousands of shops that perform alignments, I'd trust about 3 to do an actual decent job.

I've had cars "aligned" that where worse then when I brought them in.

I'm the main alignment tech at my shop.  All my cars leave looking dead sexy on that machine.

Laconian

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on September 28, 2013, 11:40:28 AM
Production Line!
2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray - Production

Very impressive video. The workforce looks like it's getting up there in years. There are all sorts of tools and lifts and whatnot that take the backbreaking labor out of the job.

Man, the C7 looks great. I said that about the C6 but got sick of it pretty quickly. I think the C7 will continue to hold its appeal.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 28, 2013, 03:04:40 PM
Very impressive video. The workforce looks like it's getting up there in years. There are all sorts of tools and lifts and whatnot that take the backbreaking labor out of the job.

Man, the C7 looks great. I said that about the C6 but got sick of it pretty quickly. I think the C7 will continue to hold its appeal.

The servo lifts and stuff have been there for years, they're just more integrated now. Being old has nothing to do with that: do the same task for 8 or 10 hours a day and you'll either get used to it or you'll go nuts, regardless of your age.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

I can only imagine the price tags on those Fanuc robots and Atlas Copco lug nut drivers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 28, 2013, 04:13:06 PM
I can only imagine the price tags on those Fanuc robots and Atlas Copco lug nut drivers.
Your basic one goes for about $60,000, but the end effectors can easily run into the 100K range (not including the $8000/yr maintenance contract per robot). Our single-head Copco drivers here cost about $4000/piece. I'd assume one fo those there are in the $40,000 range.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

We're bringing in Fanuc to do maintenance on our robots. We can't really trust our maintenance guys to reassemble those correctly. :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on September 28, 2013, 03:04:40 PM
I think the C6 is still a looker and has aged better than the C5 did. Maybe it was the addition of the wide body models that kept it fresh but I still think the C6 is a looker. The C5 does nothing for me!

r0tor

Quote from: S204STi on September 28, 2013, 01:34:37 PM
Do you align your car for the given track or just do what the interwebs tell you?  Protip, you actually don't want perfectly equal camber settings for any given track, you set it for the most crucial corner.

Protip - you dont win anything at a track day.  Changing your alignment is pointless for a track day.  If your competing, you would never start with the OEM settings anyway as you would not be running OEM suspension.

Laconian

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on September 28, 2013, 06:34:14 PM
I think the C6 is still a looker and has aged better than the C5 did. Maybe it was the addition of the wide body models that kept it fresh but I still think the C6 is a looker. The C5 does nothing for me!

It has, but the big expanses of bland fiberglass still make it look like a kit car.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on September 28, 2013, 06:37:15 PM
Protip - you dont win anything at a track day.  Changing your alignment is pointless for a track day.  If your competing, you would never start with the OEM settings anyway as you would not be running OEM suspension.

Epic lulz

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on September 28, 2013, 06:40:39 PM
It has, but the big expanses of bland fiberglass still make it look like a kit car.
Especially the rear! LOL!!!

r0tor

280Z Turbo

All Corvettes since 1968 have looked like kit cars. :lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: r0tor on September 28, 2013, 06:37:15 PM
Protip - you dont win anything at a track day. 

So that's why I can never find my drivers or manufacturer point results on the SCCA website.

280Z Turbo

You can do Solo I autocrosses.

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on September 28, 2013, 07:01:06 PM
Reality... not boy racer fapping

I get my info from far more talented sources than what you bring to the table, people who have actual track time racing wheel to wheel, and NASA certs to train other drivers.  I know, not much compared with go karts.  But if you want to continue being an ass, I'll ask the next one that you'll bat aside with your clearly superior knowledge: you're going to tell me that the same development team that built this car, which in stock form performs at supercar levels, has no idea how to set up the chassis for fast road/mild track driving? Could you be more silly?

r0tor

Wow, for "fast roads" lets burn through $300 a corner tires for that last tenth of a percent of performance with lots of camber on a car that you already cant come close to exploiting its limits on the street with normal alignmnet settings.

Oh but its fasssssssssster yo

BTW, if the C7 is anything like the C6, -2 is pretty much the max negative camber you can get from the stock suspension... So the specs your so fond of fapping over basically reads "max out the camber, and keep the stock caster and toe".  Wow, what "racer" would ever have thought to do that?!?! Just absolutely mindblowing that chassis engineers took the time to write this down.  I think the whole performance community will be mindfucked over this revelation.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on September 28, 2013, 09:00:43 PM
I get my info from far more talented sources than what you bring to the table, people who have actual track time racing wheel to wheel, and NASA certs to train other drivers.  I know, not much compared with go karts.  But if you want to continue being an ass, I'll ask the next one that you'll bat aside with your clearly superior knowledge: you're going to tell me that the same development team that built this car, which in stock form performs at supercar levels, has no idea how to set up the chassis for fast road/mild track driving? Could you be more silly?

Do you really think anybody doing a track day has either the time or the resources to set up their car correctly for one particular corner?

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 28, 2013, 09:46:55 PM
Do you really think anybody doing a track day has either the time or the resources to set up their car correctly for one particular corner?

Why not?  It's perfectly easy to talk to a few guys who've raced it, find the most crucial corner, and set up your settings for that.  Just because the stock suspension isn't boy racer tite yo on coiloverz doesn't mean you can't make the most of what you've got... which is quite a bit in this case.  I just find it comical that karboy has an issue with the OEM posting suggested settings for track driving, like it's such a waste of time. :rolleyes:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on September 28, 2013, 10:10:26 PM
Why not?  It's perfectly easy to talk to a few guys who've raced it, find the most crucial corner, and set up your settings for that.  Just because the stock suspension isn't boy racer tite yo on coiloverz doesn't mean you can't make the most of what you've got... which is quite a bit in this case.  I just find it comical that karboy has an issue with the OEM posting suggested settings for track driving, like it's such a waste of time. :rolleyes:

Oh, just set up your setting for that. Yeah.

Technically, you're right: that is the fastest way to get around the track.

But, you don't get testing time at a HPDE day. Although it could be done, I've never actually seen somebody bring in a couple speare sets of tires and the equipment to dial in their stock suspensions with, and I don't think they'd really get the time to do so anyways. You'll see guys with the white shoe polish trick, you'll even see guys with instant read thermometers jiggering their tire pressures. But in the end, track days are more about the driving experience than the best time.

Most guys doing these have little real track experience (pro racers don't do track days: hell, most amateur wheel to wheel racers don't either), and most wouldn't know when their car is properly set up for that corner or not even if they were able to do it.