C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 13, 2014, 10:03:11 AM
as an option? is a fixed roof standard?

Given the way that the Corvette is constructed, even if it is a fixed roof, it's not going to add any appreciable stiffness.  The roof isn't a stressed structural member.  It'll be like the "fixed roof" on the Exige, which was just a relatively flimsy plastic/GRP panel bolted where the normal targa top would be.  Making it fixed just means you lose the open-air aspect of the car (not to mention that taking the roof off completely sheds some weight).  As memory serves, the fixed roof on the old Z06 notchback didn't have any real structure in it either.  The non-liftback rear window was lighter than the liftback on the normal coupe, which was really the only reason they used that body style.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on January 13, 2014, 02:58:56 PM
Given the way that the Corvette is constructed, even if it is a fixed roof, it's not going to add any appreciable stiffness.  The roof isn't a stressed structural member.  It'll be like the "fixed roof" on the Exige, which was just a relatively flimsy plastic/GRP panel bolted where the normal targa top would be.  Making it fixed just means you lose the open-air aspect of the car (not to mention that taking the roof off completely sheds some weight).  As memory serves, the fixed roof on the old Z06 notchback didn't have any real structure in it either.  The non-liftback rear window was lighter than the liftback on the normal coupe, which was really the only reason they used that body style.

The other issue I don't like is that removable roof's are sometimes required to be removed for track use.

I'd really just rather not have the hassles.

Catman

I read the press release and I remember something about the roof being fixed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Catman on January 13, 2014, 03:16:12 PM
I read the press release and I remember something about the roof being fixed
It's removable. And the C7 Z06 is 20% stiffer than a C6 ZR1 with its roof removed and 60% stiffer with the roof in place....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Catman

Lebowski

Removable roof on the z06 is a plus IMO. Not that I regularly take mine off, but it's nice to have the option.

Galaxy

A really impressive vehicle this Corvette. The Viper people must be really depressed.

Catman

The new viper looks old.

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on January 14, 2014, 12:23:21 PM
A really impressive vehicle this Corvette. The Viper people must be really depressed.

Dodge tries too much to make the Viper NOT like a Corvette, despite it being a Dodge Corvette, compromising it in the process. No one wants a car purposefully designed to be less refined.

CALL_911

All things considered, I have no doubt the Corvette is a better car than the Viper. I still want a Viper so fucking badly, though

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on January 14, 2014, 06:51:47 PM
Dodge tries too much to make the Viper NOT like a Corvette, despite it being a Dodge Corvette, compromising it in the process. No one wants a car purposefully designed to be less refined.

So all sports cars should be as quiet and smooth as a Lexus LSleep.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Quote from: MX793 on January 13, 2014, 02:58:56 PM

The notch back FRC body style was indeed stiffer than the coupe even with the roof on.

http://www.c5registry.com/zo6/hib/page2.htm

"Rocket scientists out there will be interested to know the convertible's first torsional frequency is 20hz. Coupes with the roof out are at 20.5hz and, with the roof on, jump to 22hz. The Z06 is a stout, 24hz."

So the coupe even with the roof off was slightly stiffer than the vert.  Adding the roof made the coupe stiffer byt 1.5hz.  Going with the notch back made it stiffer still by 2hz.

MX793

Quote from: 565 on January 14, 2014, 07:52:12 PM
The notch back FRC body style was indeed stiffer than the coupe even with the roof on.

http://www.c5registry.com/zo6/hib/page2.htm

"Rocket scientists out there will be interested to know the convertible's first torsional frequency is 20hz. Coupes with the roof out are at 20.5hz and, with the roof on, jump to 22hz. The Z06 is a stout, 24hz."

So the coupe even with the roof off was slightly stiffer than the vert.  Adding the roof made the coupe stiffer byt 1.5hz.  Going with the notch back made it stiffer still by 2hz.

Didn't Chevy put some additional stiffening into the lower part of the chassis on the Z06 that the coupes didn't have?  I don't believe the notchback design alone was that much stiffer.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Quote from: MX793 on January 14, 2014, 07:59:36 PM
Didn't Chevy put some additional stiffening into the lower part of the chassis on the Z06 that the coupes didn't have?  I don't believe the notchback design alone was that much stiffer.

The notchback had the same extra cross bar behind the seats as the convertibles.  However as the notchback was 20% stiffer than the vert, the addition of a top clearly contributed alot to the stiffness.  In addition the coupe was slightly stiffer than the convertible even with the coupe's roof off, so the cross bar in the back didn't make drastic additions to stiffness.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-general/2326760-chassis-rigidity-coupe-vs-vert-vs-frc.html

"The Hardtop's underbody structure is the stiffest of all C5s. It has both the Coupe's "top bow" and the extra crossbar behind the seats, characteristic of the Convertible. Its exterior bodywork behind the windshield and above the belt line is bolted to the windshield header and is bolted and adhesively bonded to the rear deck. The underbody structure, the hard top and the lack of the big hole in the back for the hatch make the Hardtop about 12% stiffer in torsion and bending than the Coupe with its roof in place. Additionally, though the removal of the coupe's heavy hatch glass and lighter top structure, the Hardtop's curb weight is 80 pounds less than the lightest Coupe"

ifcar

While their numbers are clearly fewer, that is precisely what the diehards want.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Eye of the Tiger

It just sucks that the base model is dropping to 220 hp. That is not enough power for this class of car. I mean, why even bother with slapper bars for the leaf springs?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Some people clearly do.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on January 15, 2014, 07:16:00 AM
While their numbers are clearly fewer, that is precisely what the diehards want.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2014, 06:44:33 AM
Some people clearly do.

They are not people. They are Viper buyers, that curious subset of homo sapiens that buys the inferior car precisely because it is purposefully inferior. 

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2014, 11:09:43 AM
They are not people. They are Viper buyers, that curious subset of homo sapiens that buys the inferior car precisely because it is purposefully inferior. 

:lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

The viper is cool, but yeah I can't imagine even seriously considering handing over actual dollars for one. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2014, 11:09:43 AM

Its only inferior to you because it doesn't do what you think it should do as well as another. Other people have a different opinion of why they buy such cars.

Most buyers of these cars won't ever use their capabilities, or close to it. So, the question to ask is: what are they really looking for in that car?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

Was a gray z06 at Detroit as well.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

I read that Chevy is dropping Velocity Yellow for next year even tho the Z06 was unveiled in that color. A differant hue of yellow will be offered. I hope it has as much 'POP" as V Yellow did....   :cry:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 68_427 on January 17, 2014, 07:02:40 PM
Was a gray z06 at Detroit as well.
Yep! They had one in Shark Gray (replaces Cyber Gray next year) on the floor.

Gotta-Qik-C7

The Z06 is in Shark Gray and the Stingray is Cyber Gray.

CALL_911

Z06 is a bit over the top, but I dig it anyway

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Catman

Shark gray looks fantastic.

giant_mtb

That hood window just gets bigger and bigger. :lol:

MX793

Is it actually a window on this car or did they just paint the top of the power bulge black (or leave it exposed carbon fiber)?
Needs more Jiggawatts