C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

MrH

In trying to lose the FOG stereotype, Chevrolet got rid of critical belly room.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Is the more difficult ingress/egress due to better seat bolstering?  They supposedly addressed all of the complaints that the seats didn't provide enough lateral support.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

The thing is, fat old guys are the primary market for all these cars. Porsche etc buyers are no different, and if anything even fatter/older owing to price.

I'm not that big or old, and I found it harder to get in and out of and the bolsters pretty snug. 

The ingress/egress thing could have been partially just that it was at the car show, the crowd of people around me waiting to get in.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Lebowski on January 26, 2014, 06:54:46 AM
The thing is, fat old guys are the primary market for all these cars. Porsche etc buyers are no different, and if anything even fatter/older owing to price.

I'm not that big or old, and I found it harder to get in and out of and the bolsters pretty snug. 

The ingress/egress thing could have been partially just that it was at the car show, the crowd of people around me waiting to get in.

Sounds like we need a Corvette Countryman CUV with flat, butt-level seats.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Lebowski

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 26, 2014, 07:47:05 AM

Sounds like we need a Corvette Countryman CUV with flat, butt-level seats.

The C6 is perfectly livable day to day, I'm just surprised they made it worse in these areas.

FlatBlackCaddy

Maybe gm figures all the old guys can just save 10K and buy a fat overpriced ugly camaro.

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 26, 2014, 09:35:27 AM
Maybe gm figures all the old guys can just save 10K and buy a fat overpriced ugly camaro.

I didn't think the Camaro was that easy to get into or out of when I sat in one.  Of all of the sporty cars I sat in or test drove (Mustang, Camaro, RX-8, FR-S), it was the only one I hit my head on the top of the door frame trying to climb in and out of.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Poor C7R is going to lose to a 911, Z4, and Viper in its premier at the 24hrs of Daytona
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Minpin

Damn, that sucks they made it smaller. I can't imagine why they'd do that. The C6 wasn't exactly comfortable for my 6'4" frame either...At least it looks badass?
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Onslaught

Sounds like I'd like it more. I always felt the C6 was too damn big feeling on the inside for a pure sports car. And those seats........

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on January 26, 2014, 09:52:39 AM
I didn't think the Camaro was that easy to get into or out of when I sat in one.  Of all of the sporty cars I sat in or test drove (Mustang, Camaro, RX-8, FR-S), it was the only one I hit my head on the top of the door frame trying to climb in and out of.

I was thinking the increased seat height or "suv seating height" of the camaro would make them more comfortable than actually getting in and out of a sports car.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on January 26, 2014, 10:28:12 AM
Sounds like I'd like it more. I always felt the C6 was too damn big feeling on the inside for a pure sports car. And those seats........

I think GM did alot to make this car appeal to the more traditional(non old guy vette) sports car market.

Lebowski

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 26, 2014, 11:24:42 AM

I think GM did alot to make this car appeal to the more traditional(non old guy vette) sports car market.

And what is that market exactly?

Minpin

The market of poor sales. I think you guys are kidding yourselves if they're trying to cut out their biggest market audience....
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Minpin on January 26, 2014, 01:35:53 PM
The market of poor sales. I think you guys are kidding yourselves if they're trying to cut out their biggest market audience....

I don't think they tried to make it NOT appeal to the traditional corvette owners. I think they tried to broaden it, is what I'm saying. Namely with the style of the car, which I've heard a lot of corvette guys criticize as "european" or as a "ferrari copy".

Like every sports car, it's existence is dependent on normal people buying the car for status purposes. The capabilities of the car are not important nor are they utilized to even a 1/5th of their potential. Without these 95(or even 99) percent of buyers the 1 percent who truely use the car to it's potential would be stuck in camry se's.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on January 26, 2014, 01:31:47 PM

And what is that market exactly?

The market that isn't the FOG w/strains of Harley-Davidsonism demographic that buys sports cars.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on January 26, 2014, 01:53:08 PM

The market that isn't the FOG w/strains of Harley-Davidsonism demographic that buys sports cars.

Ah, the market of people who can't afford a corvette  :ohyeah:

Anything in that price range or above is going to have a significant % of fat old guys as buyers. 

afty

Corvette buyers have a certain stereotype beyond just "fat old guys."

Lebowski

Quote from: afty on January 26, 2014, 03:23:02 PM

Corvette buyers have a certain stereotype beyond just "fat old guys."

Oh, is that what we were talking about wrt space and ingress/egress?

Byteme

Quote from: Lebowski on January 26, 2014, 08:22:04 AM

The C6 is perfectly livable day to day, I'm just surprised they made it worse in these areas.

They were trying to address an area of frequest criticizm IIRC, less than great seating. 

I wonder what percentage of Corvette owners ever see a track with their car? 

MX793

Quote from: Lebowski on January 26, 2014, 02:52:17 PM

Anything in that price range or above is going to have a significant % of fat old guys as buyers. 

Seems like a lot of the 911 owners I've seen tend not to be overweight, but certainly of advanced age.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 26, 2014, 07:31:07 PM

They were trying to address an area of frequest criticizm IIRC, less than great seating. 

I wonder what percentage of Corvette owners ever see a track with their car? 

Probably less than one percent, which isn't as hard to believe as one may think.

One out in every 100 corvette owners seems pretty realistic to me.

Sometimes things don't seem to work out the way they should. A car like the corvette(or even 911) would seem to be a common sight at a racetrack, you'd think the percentage on these cars would be pretty high.

Compared to something like a miata, which might have a much higher percentage(though still probably in the 2-3 percent range).

Byteme

Quote from: r0tor on January 26, 2014, 10:11:21 AM
Poor C7R is going to lose to a 911, Z4, and Viper in its premier at the 24hrs of Daytona

Well no, it won.

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 26, 2014, 07:37:02 PM
Probably less than one percent, which isn't as hard to believe as one may think.

One out in every 100 corvette owners seems pretty realistic to me.

Sometimes things don't seem to work out the way they should. A car like the corvette(or even 911) would seem to be a common sight at a racetrack, you'd think the percentage on these cars would be pretty high.

Compared to something like a miata, which might have a much higher percentage(though still probably in the 2-3 percent range).

Less than 1 percent wouldn't surprise me at all. 

MX793

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 26, 2014, 08:07:09 PM

Well no, it won.

The car that won wasn't a C7R.  C7Rs run in the GT class with other production based cars (like the Viper, 911 GT3, and Z4).  The "Corvette" that won was a prototype class car (purpose built, mid-engine) and completely unrelated.
Needs more Jiggawatts

68_427

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 26, 2014, 08:07:09 PM

Well no, it won.

The Corvette DP won overall.  The C7.R didn't do so well, but it was it's very first race.

Corvette DP

C7.R

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Byteme

Quote from: MX793 on January 26, 2014, 08:10:52 PM
The car that won wasn't a C7R.  C7Rs run in the GT class with other production based cars (like the Viper, 911 GT3, and Z4).  The "Corvette" that won was a prototype class car (purpose built, mid-engine) and completely unrelated.
Quote from: 68_427 on January 26, 2014, 08:12:12 PM
The Corvette DP won overall.  The C7.R didn't do so well, but it was it's very first race.

Corvette DP

C7.R

Whoops, thanks for the clarifications

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on January 26, 2014, 02:52:17 PM

No; trying to grab the M3/Cayman/911/S5/C63/etc. buyer who in times past would never ever consider a Corvette.

I virtually never see FOGs in the Corvette's competition.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on January 26, 2014, 09:18:34 PM

No; trying to grab the M3/Cayman/911/S5/C63/etc. buyer who in times past would never ever consider a Corvette.

I virtually never see FOGs in the Corvette's competition.

I see FOGs in all of those, plus many who buy those cars would never buy domestic particularly not a lowly Chevrolet.