C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 28, 2014, 11:16:13 PM
I think Chevy did exactly what it had to do to try to tap a younger market - edgier, sharper, more tech, more refined.

And only time will tell if it worked.   :huh:

Lebowski

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 29, 2014, 08:16:13 AM

And that's a big problem for GM to try to solve.

They can't and never will. A Chevy badge will never equal a Porsche badge.

The Corvette is a very good car and an exceptional value, many people appreciate that and will buy it.  But from a brand snob perspective, GM will never equal the premium European brands.

Lebowski

Also note w/ all the focus on demographics and the sales mix by age ...

Per wiki for example the  Boxster + Cayman NA sales were only 3-4k units/yr.  Corvette is multiples of that. Be careful of false conclusions - that the average Boxster buyer is younger than the average Corvette buyer does not equal "more young people buy boxsters/caymans vs Corvettes".  Corvette still holds wide appeal, I really don't see the high avg age as a problem given it's price range and annual sales volume.

Not a lot of young people are in the market for a $60k+ two seater.  For those few who are, it's a lot easier to move the needle on a 3k unit/yr product than a 20k+ unit/yr product (20k+ the avg over the c6 lifespan).

SVT666

I won't be buying a two seater until my kids have moved out.  I will be 50 years old.  There is a reason people under 50 rarely buy 2 seaters; most of us have kids once we hit 30 and we can't afford them in our 20s.

SJ_GTI

I really dig this new corvette. Couldn't see myself buying a Boxster or Cayman over it, but likely won't be buying another car until I am 40 (if I can help it). I like my S4 but there are lots of times I miss having a smaller and more agile car.

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 29, 2014, 08:17:07 AM

And only time will tell if it worked.   :huh:

How well it worked, IMO, not that if it worked.

The goal to sell more cars isn't necessarily a good or proper or intended goal. It's just what many assume.

The upper trim levels and options seem more expensive, and the Z06 is likely going to be relatively more expensive too. This would further push it out of reach of ever more younger buyers.

Raza

I, for one, don't want a Corvette. I don't care for the clientele. They're Corvette drivers, not sports car driver. You can park next to an S2000 and have a conversation with the driver, but I don't get that feeling with Corvette drivers.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on January 29, 2014, 01:16:56 PM
I, for one, don't want a Corvette. I don't care for the clientele. They're Corvette drivers, not sports car driver. You can park next to an S2000 and have a conversation with the driver, but I don't get that feeling with Corvette drivers.
And yet you drive a BMW.

FlatBlackCaddy

There are 2 types of corvette owners.

You have the corvette owners who are obsessed, obnoxious and think the cars are the best thing ever.

then

You have the corvette owners who think the obsessed, obnoxious corvette owners are a bunch of douches and make fun of them. All the while realizing the car is just a car and don't get in the us vs them(other sports cars) BS arguements.

I've actually met alot of the 2nd type, in fact one guy is even so hated by the other owners that he isn't welcome at some of the shows.

What's the reason he's hated? Because he pointed out what a pile of shit alot of the pre C5's were, rightfully so.

The comical part is that he has owned EVERY generation of vette and even still has a 100 point extremely clean 1st generation vette. He told a few of the local vette guys(when they asked why he wasn't driving it) that he uses it for a tool bench in the garage because it isn't good for anything else.

So not all of them are bad, the first type is not unique to vettes. I've met those people from all sorts of different brands/models. They suck, not matter what they are in.

68_427

My dad was ignored at alot of Corvette club meets because he had a 427 and the older guys only had 327's and 350's lol
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 29, 2014, 07:55:46 PM

You have the corvette owners who are obsessed, obnoxious and think the cars are the best thing ever.

then

You have the corvette owners who think the obsessed, obnoxious corvette owners are a bunch of douches and make fun of them. All the while realizing the car is just a car and don't get in the us vs them(other sports cars) BS arguements.

I've actually met alot of the 2nd type, in fact one guy is even so hated by the other owners that he isn't welcome at some of the shows.

What's the reason he's hated? Because he pointed out what a pile of shit alot of the pre C5's were, rightfully so.

The comical part is that he has owned EVERY generation of vette and even still has a 100 point extremely clean 1st generation vette. He told a few of the local vette guys(when they asked why he wasn't driving it) that he uses it for a tool bench in the garage because it isn't good for anything else.

So not all of them are bad, the first type is not unique to vettes. I've met those people from all sorts of different brands/models. They suck, not matter what they are in.

Accents are pretty much the best thing ever. And you suck.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

GoCougs

Well, the Tesla got a huge jump in the first race and the Corvette had a far higher trap speed (+ 6 mph) in both races. Plus, the Corvette was an AT.

afty

Still surprising (at least to me) how close they are.

SVT666

That Tesla ran a pretty quick 1/4 regardless of the jump at the start.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 29, 2014, 07:55:46 PM

then

That guy sounds like an even bigger douche than the type 1 douches.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

LonghornTX

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 09, 2014, 06:03:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfejZsjiAII#t=455

Cool video, but kind of a weird format. The lack of a direct overall comparison hurts the content a bit
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

SVT666

Yeah.  Weird comparison.  They couldn't find a single car that would compete with it?  Sounds like a major win for the Vette.

SJ_GTI

Saw my first C7 Corvette in the flesh yesterday. Didn't realize it was a Corvette at first...thought it was some exotic I hadn't heard of. Then I saw the badges.

Very impressed on first sight, to say the least.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Man they are ///Ming the Z06 badge
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Catman

Rich

Can you imagine the sound on a 0-60 run with the top down. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

mzziaz

Man, I can't get over that ugly steering wheel.
Cuore Sportivo

Payman

Quote from: mzziaz on April 12, 2014, 12:30:56 PM
Man, I can't get over that ugly steering wheel.

I don't like it either, and the rest of the interior is a messy design as well. None of which would stop me from getting one though.

Catman

Quote from: Rockraven on April 13, 2014, 05:57:34 AM
I don't like it either, and the rest of the interior is a messy design as well. None of which would stop me from getting one though.

Doesn't bother me.  Best Corvette interior ever.

MX793

Quote from: Catman on April 13, 2014, 10:09:13 AM
Doesn't bother me.  Best Corvette interior ever.

Considering some of the past Corvette interiors (C4 and C5 were especially awful), that's not difficult.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5