C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2014, 10:51:26 AM
Ignoring the "and" I see. Why do you guys do this? It's not like people can't see.

QuoteDoes it have forced induction? Not a track car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

So the discussion was/is about race cars. I see now - silly me. Well, the Z06 is not a race car, and not only because it has a supercharger, and in general, just because a car can be driven on the track doesn't make it a race car and just because a car can be driven on the street doesn't make it a street (read: factory) car.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2014, 11:10:36 AM
So the discussion was/is about race cars. I see now - silly me. Well, the Z06 is not a race car, and not only because it has a supercharger, and in general, just because a car can be driven on the track doesn't make it a race car and just because a car can be driven on the street doesn't make it a street (read: factory) car.

In what world does "factory" become synonymous with "street" car?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on November 30, 2014, 11:37:47 AM
In what world does "factory" become synonymous with "street" car?

In what world is a race car with a license plate still not a race car?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2014, 04:40:12 PM
An Ariel Atom is not a race car.

Why not take a step back and give us the official definitions of street, track and race car  with some sources, and then demonstrate how the C7 Z06 does not fit the bill. Because from where Im sitting,

- any car that can be registered and driven on the street = street car
- any car that can be driven on a track = track car (see Jack Baruth's positive track review of a four banger Camry SE)
- cars can fit more than 1 category
- any car that doesn't race isn't a race car

Not to mention, track cars can't have forced induction... then how do u explain the supercharged Ariel Atom, or the Formula Ford Ecoboost?

You are not really making sense here bro.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

hotrodalex

How about stop trying to corner Cougs into hypocrisy and realize how his point is pretty obvious and track specials are easy to spot. Z06 is not a track special.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 30, 2014, 05:35:11 PM
How about stop trying to corner Cougs into hypocrisy and realize how his point is pretty obvious and track specials are easy to spot. Z06 is not a track special.
Then what are all the aero packages and carbon brakes for? Highway cruising?

hotrodalex

Is a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta a track car?

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 30, 2014, 04:59:34 PM
An Ariel Atom is not a race car.

Why not take a step back and give us the official definitions of street, track and race car  with some sources, and then demonstrate how the C7 Z06 does not fit the bill. Because from where Im sitting,

- any car that can be registered and driven on the street = street car
- any car that can be driven on a track = track car (see Jack Baruth's positive track review of a four banger Camry SE)
- cars can fit more than 1 category
- any car that doesn't race isn't a race car

Not to mention, track cars can't have forced induction... then how do u explain the supercharged Ariel Atom, or the Formula Ford Ecoboost?

You are not really making sense here bro.

I've made so much sense that you guys are left with strawmanning it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 30, 2014, 05:57:00 PM
Is a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta a track car?
Does it overheat on a race track?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2014, 04:40:12 PM

You can have "factory" race cars.  "Factory" just means it is mass-produced and offered to the public (as opposed to a hand-built, one-off type of car like an F1 car).  Arial Atoms and KTM X-Bows are very much "factory" vehicles.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SVT666

Z06, just like the Viper ACR, is a track day special. The F12 is not, since it's suspension is setup for grand touring and is too soft for a track day special.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2014, 08:09:05 PM
Z06, just like the Viper ACR, is a track day special. The F12 is not, since it's suspension is setup for grand touring and is too soft for a track day special.

Actually, just like the C7 Z06 the F12 has GM's multifunction/position Magnetic Ride Control, as both are hi-po GT cars not race/track cars.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2014, 09:01:42 PM
Actually, just like the C7 Z06 the F12 has GM's multifunction/position Magnetic Ride Control, as both are hi-po GT cars not race/track cars.
Nice try, but suspension tuning consists of much more than shocks.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2014, 09:01:42 PM
And wat about the Z07 Stage III aero package? Is that for grand touring too?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 01, 2014, 06:02:35 AM
Thats one option box I wouldn't check! A regular Z06 would suit me just fine....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2014, 11:19:50 PM
Nice try, but suspension tuning consists of much more than shocks.

I see - didn't realize the Z06 didn't have magnetic ride control ;).

I got my bevy of car mags this weekend - they're calling the Z06 a bargain super car, which is the exact perfect label (super cars are not track cars).

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 01, 2014, 06:02:35 AM

Wings and brakes? Meh, beans and franks.

Takes more than "aero" and brakes to make a non track car a track car.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on December 01, 2014, 02:39:15 PM
I see - didn't realize the Z06 didn't have magnetic ride control ;).

I got my bevy of car mags this weekend - they're calling the Z06 a bargain super car, which is the exact perfect label (super cars are not track cars).
I never said it didn't.  Suspension tuning is much more than shocks.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on December 01, 2014, 02:47:50 PM

Suspension stiffness (GT vs. Track) is very much shocks (and springs).

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on December 01, 2014, 02:47:50 PM

Your error is in its premise. Why does a track car need dynamic suspension settings, esp. something so relatively complicated as GM's MagneRide?

MagneRide exists for street performance/livability - it's game changing tech but it's not race car tech.

The ZR1, ZL1, F12, C7 Z06 - all hugely hi-po performance cars but they are not track cars.

12,000 RPM

If the performance isnt meant to be used on the track where is it meant to be used :confused:

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 02, 2014, 07:33:12 AM
If the performance isnt meant to be used on the track where is it meant to be used :confused:

Where is a Lamborghini or Ferrari or Pagani supposed to be used?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 02, 2014, 09:48:42 AM
Where is a Lamborghini or Ferrari or Pagani supposed to be used?
Ferrari/Rambo/Pagani have more to hang their hats on than performance.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-dynod-at-585-rear-wheel-horsepower/

So that makes sense, the burn out owner is really a tuner. 

Also 585 who is more than what the old ZR1 put out, usually around 520-550whp, and a lot more than what the old Z06 put out (440s-460s)

I actually have changed my mind on this new Z06.  It seems indeed that the poor top end is due to some crazy aggressive aero they put on the car, and the car is making advertised power or more.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013-chevrolet-corvette-zr12013-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-comparo.pdf

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-manual.pdf

So in comparison the the old ZR1 which had a better power to weight ratio, both cars get to 60 in 3.4, which means the launch is similar.  From there till around 100mph the Z06 actually pulls a little and ends up 0.1 seconds ahead at 100mph.  They are pretty even till 120mph when the Z06 just smacks into an aerodynamic wall.

This is most evident in the top speed where the ZR1 will go on to 205mph while the new Z06 with Z07 package tops out at just 186mph.  Which means eventually even a stock 08+ C6 with a top speed of 192mph will outrun the Z07 in top end due to ridiculous aero.

12,000 RPM

C6 wont hang with the C7 Z06 on a road course

*If the C7 driver has the stones to commit to turns enough to utilize the grip of the aero

Who are we kidding though. Here is how most races between C6/C7 drivers will play out

Two Turkeys on Thanksgiving Wrecking their Corvettes in The Woodlands

68_427

The tuner also found the management system tends to pull timing any chance it gets. 

QuoteNow that the 2016 Corvette Z06 has hit the streets, sucking our air through its blower, a few owners have complained about experiencing a power loss after back to back runs on the highway or multiple laps on the track. They rushed to point the heat soak finger at the LT4 motor in the Z06, but this doesn't seem to be the culprit here.

Sure, as the Z06 uses a top-mounted charging hardware, you could expect it to be prone to heat soak issues. When this issue usually appears, after a few consecutive full throttle runs, the heat builds up in the engine compartment, resulting in the a temperature increase for the air charge. This dramatically reduces supercharging efficiency as hot air has reduced oxygen molecule density, allowing for less fuel to be burned.

Moreover, hot intake air charge also increases the risk of detonation. The computer measures the intake air temperature both before and after the charge and when the latter is too high, it starts pulling timing to protect the engine.

However, like we said, this isn't an issue with the LT4 supercharged V8 in the 2015 Z06, or at least that's what the tuning scene is reporting.

Aftermarket world explains this is all a conservative ECU setup

Remember Vengeance Racing, the aftermarket developer that did a 1-minute burnout straight out of the showroom when picking up their Z06 last week? The crew started playing with the supercar and obviously came across the same problem.

So far, the guys only did repeated runs on the dyno, where they recorded a rather impressive 20-degree difference between the two aforementioned intake air temperatures. They also performed highway runs, but so far they've had 5 to 7 minute breaks between runs to analyze the resulting data and make changes to the ECU. They promissed to take their Z06 out again this week and perform back to back runs, so we'll have that information soon.

Once again, as Vengeance Racing explains, there doesn't appear to be any heat soak issue - such a problem wouldn't make sense anyway, not after all the testing the Z06 has been through and after GM hit the jackpot with just-as-supercharged ZR1 in the past.

In a post on Corvette Forum, the tuner explains the issue lies with the ECU - "With the OE calibration we did experience the same thing... The timing tables are EXTREMELY conservative and the ECU will pull timing for almost any situation. I am waiting for owners to complain about "tip in" as the ECU pulls a massive amount of timing when slightly touching the gas pedal"

We know it sounds convenient for a tuner to say this, but the company claims "most of the loss of power can be addressed in the ECU." Of course, this may just solve the problem reported by multiple owners, but it will also void the powertrain warranty, not exactly something you want on a $100,000 car, unless you were going to modify it in the first place.

Besides, many now ask themselves what happens once you remove those ECU boundaries. the only problem here is that certain people behave completely different once they've modded their car and subsequently complain about reliability issues - such problems would've appeared even without the tune, simply due to the change in the driving style.

The LT4 appears to have plenty of unlocked potential

Since the customizer claims the post-intercooler intake air temp is impressive, nobody is quite sure why GM engineers came up with such a conservative ECU tune, with emission regulations being the most plausible reason.

For the record, Vengeance Racing's 2015 Corvette Z06, a manual, showed 585 hp and 611 lb-ft (828 Nm) of torque at the wheels in stock condition, which are very good values. The LT4 has already proven to be a very capable engine, since the tuner has achieved a hefty output bump with less-than-serious mods. To be more specific, the V8 was taken to 660 RWHP and 663 RWTQ (899 Nm) using only a cold air intake, a smaller upper pulley and, of course, an ECU remap.

We've contacted GM to ask them about the reason behind the shy ECU setup and we'll be back with an update as soon as we have an answer.

Update: GM has responded, explaining the reasons behind the ECU setup reigning over the LT4 V8. To put it shortly, Chevy wants to make sure the Z06 meets emission targets and keeps placing those 650 ponies at the mercy of your right foot for at least 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), which are the intervals covered by the warranty.

To use the automaker's words: "We are confident that the vast majority of customers are going to be more than satisfied with the performance the Z06 offers in stock form. For those that want more power, they can visit an aftermarket tuner – who are not held to the same standards [emissions and warranty] as an OEM. However, this presents significant risk to the customer. An aftermarket tune voids the vehicle warranty as Chevrolet cannot possibly test or confirm the durability of their calibration; and aftermarket calibrations could cause drivability issues that are not present in the factory setting."

When asked about a possible track tune, that would unlock some extra potential for limited amounts of time, GM said they are not planning such a move.

Basically, GM acts like a father who's giving you a car - it hands you the keys and whether you want to enjoy the supercharged thrills in marathon or sprint mode, the choice is yours. It's just that you must remember to cover your dad's 100 grand pension fund in return, on the spot.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Goes to show what a risk it is in having "tuners" muck with your new car. And lol at the "smaller pulley"...

12,000 RPM

Ruh roh spaghettios

What good is 650HP if u can only achieve it one time in a lab