C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 09, 2014, 02:20:56 PM
Ruh roh spaghettios

What good is 650HP if u can only achieve it one time in a lab
I think GM doesn't want to be responceble for any engine failures on Z06s that are tracked/raced/etc. They know most of the guys that'll seriously race their car will flash that ECU thus voiding the power train warranty and letting GM off the hook unlike the valve train issues C6 Z06s had! Just my .02!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 09, 2014, 02:20:56 PM
Ruh roh spaghettios

What good is 650HP if u can only achieve it one time in a lab

This has always been the downside of force induction cars, esp. supercharged. F/I is a cheap easy way to get big HP but this is the notable tradeoff.

These are not race/track cars so it's a non issue - these are street cars that see jaunts of a few seconds to maybe a few minutes, and then they get parked in the garage.

SVT32V

With the powdered metal rods in the LT4 it is not surprising the tune is very conservative, they are not going to take much abuse (detonation).
The LS9's titanium rods were better.

GoCougs

No F/I motor will take detonation though, and when that happens it's not rods that fail but rings and pistons...

Materials is not the be-all and end-all. The LT4 is by definition harder on rods - more torque, a bit more RPM - yet same as the LS9 has the 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. GM's not gonna spend big $$$ on an all-new motor, including more power, direction injection, pooprod VVT, and cylinder deactivation, and then give it less "better" rods.

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on December 09, 2014, 06:34:32 PM
No F/I motor will take detonation though, and when that happens it's not rods that fail but rings and pistons...

Materials is not the be-all and end-all. The LT4 is by definition harder on rods - more torque, a bit more RPM - yet same as the LS9 has the 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. GM's not gonna spend big $$$ on an all-new motor, including more power, direction injection, pooprod VVT, and cylinder deactivation, and then give it less "better" rods.

No, not at all.

While it is true that ringlands often break on pistons, rods are also a weak point and are prone to failure in FI engines.

Whether bending or snapping under detonation.

Forged rotating assemblies are generally better in such applications and they will suffer without fail from some level of detonation, much better than their non-forged counterparts.

GM screwed the pooch with a ten cent change to a key, hard to say what they might or might not do to save money and forged rods are $$$.

GoCougs

IMO you're over complicating it. The move to such rods is probably for lower weight - there is no such thing as screwing the pooch WRT rods these days. Either way a bit of googling says plenty of other Big Motors F/I and otherwise - Viper V10, GT500 5.4L, LSA - use powdered/sintered rods, and, to win the Internets for the night, so does the the 707 hp Hellcat 6.2L. In other words, since GM builds the best Detroit motors, if GM does it, it's a good thing to do.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on December 09, 2014, 09:24:25 PM
In other words, since GM builds the best Detroit motors, if GM does it, it's a good thing to do.
So GM's inability to keep its engines cool is good design practice :confused:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on December 09, 2014, 09:24:25 PM
IMO you're over complicating it. The move to such rods is probably for lower weight - there is no such thing as screwing the pooch WRT rods these days. Either way a bit of googling says plenty of other Big Motors F/I and otherwise - Viper V10, GT500 5.4L, LSA - use powdered/sintered rods, and, to win the Internets for the night, so does the the 707 hp Hellcat 6.2L. In other words, since GM builds the best Detroit motors, if GM does it, it's a good thing to do.

An opinion comparing a low revving naturally aspirated viper V-10 with FI motors hasn't much merit.

The Ford GT, terminator, and later GT500 all were completely forged, the first "low hp"GT500s had the same type of rods the LT4 had. Not surprisingly they were the weak point and replaced with forged units as HP went up.

Since GM can't even match the GT500 or hellcat HP levels in a brand new design it is hardly the best detroit engine builder.

LSA isn't offered in high hp ratings like the supersnake that actually used stock ford (overbuilt) internals and is why it could never even get close to GT500 hp levels in a warrantable package.

Once again cougs you are on the failboat.

MrH

So much goes into piston rod design besides just "forged" or "not forged".  Trying to boil it down to something like that is stupid.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT32V

Quote from: MrH on December 10, 2014, 06:59:19 AM
So much goes into piston rod design besides just "forged" or "not forged".  Trying to boil it down to something like that is stupid.

Of course many other factors are taken into account, H-beam, cooled by oil squirters, length etc.

It is ludicrous to dismiss it is as not important.

MrH

It's not important when there are a million other things at play.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Dont obfuscate- for the most part forged rods are stronger than non forged

If non forged rods were OK the aftermarket would not go to forged rods for big builds

MrH

We can't say what's OK and not OK on this engine.  We don't have a fucking clue.  Let's all stop pretending we know more than hundreds of powertrain engineers at GM :huh:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on December 10, 2014, 08:43:44 AM
We can't say what's OK and not OK on this engine.  We don't have a fucking clue.  Let's all stop pretending we know more than hundreds of powertrain engineers at GM :huh:
Well, we certainly know more than those that created CUE.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on December 10, 2014, 08:43:44 AM
U have (and have always had) way too much faith in OEMs. GM is one of the worst too, they are still fucking up right nah.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on December 10, 2014, 06:59:19 AM

I'm curious what's next - plastic intake manifolds?

GM has faults like any other automaker but their motors ain't one of them.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on December 10, 2014, 01:15:20 PM

Why not plastic pushrods...reduce the weight of all that reciprocating mass.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 10, 2014, 01:15:20 PM

Not sure if serious.  GM did plastic intake manifolds.  They had issues with warping.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Don't know why anyone even reads his BS anymore.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 10, 2014, 08:19:32 AM
Dont obfuscate- for the most part forged rods are stronger than non forged

If non forged rods were OK the aftermarket would not go to forged rods for big builds

Aftermarket is generally much lower volumes. The tooling for forging is tried and true and widely available, which means they are going to be cheaper to tool for than powdered sintered forged stuff.

Not that, a H points out, it's as simple as that; but its a big factor.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 10, 2014, 10:07:58 AM
U have (and have always had) way too much faith in OEMs. GM is one of the worst too, they are still fucking up right nah.

All things being considered; if i have to bet on a GM motor versus one made by even the best aftermarket company; I'm going to bet on getting more out of he GM motor.

Of course they make mistakes.  Both of them; but when GM messes up everybody hears about it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 10, 2014, 03:06:43 PM
All things being considered; if i have to bet on a GM motor versus one made by even the best aftermarket company; I'm going to bet on getting more out of he GM motor.

Of course they make mistakes.  Both of them; but when GM messes up everybody hears about it.

Reminds me of the C6 Z06 guys, funny thing is that when they "bet" on one it isn't GM.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 10, 2014, 01:39:43 PM
Not sure if serious.  GM did plastic intake manifolds.  They had issues with warping.

Uh, plastic intake manifolds are common the industry over, and it's a good and right thing.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 09, 2014, 11:35:33 AM
C6 wont hang with the C7 Z06 on a road course

*If the C7 driver has the stones to commit to turns enough to utilize the grip of the aero

Who are we kidding though. Here is how most races between C6/C7 drivers will play out

Two Turkeys on Thanksgiving Wrecking their Corvettes in The Woodlands

Haha, that video never gets old. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 10, 2014, 04:39:19 PM
Uh, plastic intake manifolds are common the industry over, and it's a good and right thing.

Indeed they are.  But GM did have significant and well-documented issues with the plastic intake manifolds on their V6s from the late '90s thru mid '00s.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on December 10, 2014, 05:22:52 PM
Haha, that video never gets old. 

It's a classic, would have been even funnier if they crashed in front of a denny's because they were racing to beat the deadline for the early bird special.

SVT666

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on December 11, 2014, 09:39:21 AM
Like I said earlier. GM doesn't wanna be responsible for replacing blown engines on tracked Z06s. SMH.....
They're is a problem with the cooling of this engine if there is a 20 degree differential in intake air temps after a couple hard runs.  Also, for GM to build in such a conservative tune that cuts power as soon as things get a little hot says to me they're really concerned about the longevity of this engine and it must be maxed out.

SVT666

If I had just dropped 100 large on this car and then found out it only makes max power for one highway blast and it loses a bunch because GM programmed a big ignition retardation to protect an engine that is obviously not up to the task, I would be pissed.