C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

r0tor

I wonder if it has something to do with a shitty design
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

God GM is such a shit show, it's embarrassing.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on December 12, 2014, 07:38:20 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with a shitty design

My gut feeling is that its a good design hamstrung by fearful and misunderstanding bean counters. Which is of course, a trademark of GMness.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Supercars are known to be "finicky". :hmm:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 13, 2014, 05:33:00 AM
Supercars are known to be "finicky". :hmm:

But supercars aren't known to be made by Chevrolet and based on $50,000 cars.   :devil:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 12, 2014, 10:12:00 PM
My gut feeling is that its a good design hamstrung by fearful and misunderstanding bean counters. Which is of course, a trademark of GMness.
Its a sad refrain

GM thinks its German.... they dont have the luxury of perpetually fucking up, they cashed out all their reputation dollars decades ago
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

GM is an embarrassing shit show right now.  Mary Barra must be the sacrificial lamb.

MrH

I can pretty much guarantee the bean counters have absolutely nothing to do with the tuning maps of cars :lol:

"Hmmm, my spreadsheets are saying you should retard the timing an extra 3 degrees during the following conditions for maximum profitability"

More likely:  The engineers couldn't pass an internal durability spec or emissions under certain conditions and did this to pass.  :cheers:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Maybe the pushrods refused to cooperate with the cam phasing :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on December 13, 2014, 09:09:56 AM
I can pretty much guarantee the bean counters have absolutely nothing to do with the tuning maps of cars :lol:

"Hmmm, my spreadsheets are saying you should retard the timing an extra 3 degrees during the following conditions for maximum profitability"

More likely:  The engineers couldn't pass an internal durability spec or emissions under certain conditions and did this to pass.  :cheers:

Oh, I think the bean counters definitely get involved. Enter Ford's TSB stating so much as an aftermarket exhaust will void the power train warranty on 2011+ 5.0 Mustangs. Bean counters I'm sure got tired of having to deal $$$ with fighting warranty abusers/violators.

GM is changing the high performance game with the Z06 (and other cars) but that doesn't mean it's a race car or can otherwise be used at the whim and fancy by 401(k)-emptying Jim Bob deciding to do whatever it is he feels like (like 1 minute burnouts with essentially 0 miles on the clock).

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on December 13, 2014, 10:22:32 AM
Oh, I think the bean counters definitely get involved. Enter Ford's TSB stating so much as an aftermarket exhaust will void the power train warranty on 2011+ 5.0 Mustangs. Bean counters I'm sure got tired of having to deal $$$ with fighting warranty abusers/violators.
This has nothing to do with aftermarket anything though.  These are completely stock cars.  GM thought they could get away with this, which tells me GM is being run by morons.  No car mag is going to do a comparison test with a GT3 and not state, "The GT3 ran consistently lap after lap, while the Z06 sat in the pits after every lap so it could cool down and the ECU could reset the iginition timing".  GM is so incompetent they deserve this.

QuoteGM is changing the high performance game with the Z06 (and other cars) but that doesn't mean it's a race car or can otherwise be used at the whim and fancy by 401(k)-emptying Jim Bob deciding to do whatever it is he feels like (like 1 minute burnouts with essentially 0 miles on the clock).
You're right.  GM is changing the high performance game with the Z06.  Never before has a high performance car been able to do a single highway acceleration run and then lose a shit ton of power and not be able to replicate the feat.

Quote from: SVT666 on December 13, 2014, 11:29:36 AM
This has nothing to do with aftermarket anything though.  These are completely stock cars.  GM thought they could get away with this, which tells me GM is being run by morons.  No car mag is going to do a comparison test with a GT3 and not state, "The GT3 ran consistently lap after lap, while the Z06 sat in the pits after every lap so it could cool down and the ECU could reset the iginition timing".  GM is so incompetent they deserve this.

You are assuming the GT3 won't catch fire first.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 13, 2014, 10:22:32 AM

GM is changing the high performance game with the Z06 (and other cars) but that doesn't mean it's a race car or can otherwise be used at the whim and fancy by 401(k)-emptying Jim Bob deciding to do whatever it is he feels like (like 1 minute burnouts with essentially 0 miles on the clock).

It doesn't say said modifications will void your warranty, it says they "could".  Pretty much any automaker will have similar policies regarding modifications and voiding the warranty.  I'd be willing to bet that if you went looking, you'd find that GM has issued a similar TSB for any or all of their performance cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 13, 2014, 03:02:58 PM
It doesn't say said modifications will void your warranty, it says they "could".  Pretty much any automaker will have similar policies regarding modifications and voiding the warranty.  I'd be willing to bet that if you went looking, you'd find that GM has issued a similar TSB for any or all of their performance cars.

Of course all automakers do - they'd be irresponsible if they didn't - making and selling cars is a business just like any other and to compete takes spending money on the right things. The Mustang case was hilarious in its uproar in illustrating the entitlement of owners. Ford isn't going to spend money on an engine design to hedge against how an owner might modify it, and as design and engineering methods get more precise with each passing year, the less room there will be for owners to muck about with what they think is a good thing to do.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on December 13, 2014, 09:09:56 AM

Or, they predicted a higher probability of failure than was asked for, and then made a quick and dirty low cost solution.

In other words, the engineers were probably told that the new super high performance engine had to meet the same internal durability tests as the Impala; so they did what they could.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MrH

Lol. God, I hope that's the case. That's awesome.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

That's unfair - 401(k)-emptying Jim Bob wants his race car NOW.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2014, 07:01:32 PM
Or, they predicted a higher probability of failure than was asked for, and then made a quick and dirty low cost solution.

In other words, the engineers were probably told that the new super high performance engine had to meet the same internal durability tests as the Impala; so they did what they could.

Nah. Robust engine design is relatively easy to do, and even if it weren't, a big team of engine and power train engineers isn't going to not discover a flaw only to "fix" it with a band aid right before release.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on December 14, 2014, 09:15:46 AM
Lol. God, I hope that's the case. That's awesome.

I call shins. The Internets plainly know more about this - the Z06 has 'rods that must be protected.

SVT666

SVT666

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on December 14, 2014, 09:08:38 AM
  :popcorn:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/12/to-overcome-the-z06s-power-robbing-ecu-just-break-it-in-says-chevy-follow-up/
If that's all it takes, then why did GM state owners had to get an after market tune to change this?  Either GM's management has no idea what their engineering team did (poor management), they didn't even ask the GM engineers what the solution was before making a public statement (poor management), or GM's engineering team sucks (poor management). Honestly, it could be all three in that company.

SVT666

In any case, I have never heard of a car doing anything like this before, even cars with much more power. It's inexcusable no matter the reason.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on December 14, 2014, 09:21:21 AM
Nah. Robust engine design is relatively easy to do, and even if it weren't, a big team of engine and power train engineers isn't going to not discover a flaw only to "fix" it with a band aid right before release.

Hey, Cougs; this is GM. Have you guys met before?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on December 14, 2014, 09:16:12 AM
That's unfair - 401(k)-emptying Jim Bob wants his race car NOW.
:clap:

Quote from: SVT666 on December 14, 2014, 09:40:03 AM
In any case, I have never heard of a car doing anything like this before, even cars with much more power. It's inexcusable no matter the reason.
:confused:

Not hearing about it doesnt mean it doesnt happen. Vette buyers just happen to be a very dyno happy bunch. I dont think there is ANY car that can be run 100% out of the box- most of em have suggested user-enforced redlines. If anything this is smart- GM knows its market. Let em do douchebag burnouts out of the dealership and take it to redline but keep the engine safe. 500 miles is like 2 tanks of gas.... its not that serious.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2014, 08:18:42 PM
:clap:
:confused:

Not hearing about it doesnt mean it doesnt happen. Vette buyers just happen to be a very dyno happy bunch. I dont think there is ANY car that can be run 100% out of the box- most of em have suggested user-enforced redlines. If anything this is smart- GM knows its market. Let em do douchebag burnouts out of the dealership and take it to redline but keep the engine safe. 500 miles is like 2 tanks of gas.... its not that serious.
I saw an article somewhere on a Challenger Hellcat that needed 3 fans just to make conststant Dyno pulls. Apparently The Hellcat can be ordered WITHOUT a front grill to help keep it cool...

Gotta-Qik-C7

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on December 14, 2014, 09:14:49 PM
I saw an article somewhere on a Challenger Hellcat that needed 3 fans just to make conststant Dyno pulls. Apparently The Hellcat can be ordered WITHOUT a front grill to help keep it cool...

Not surprised. The certification dynos at Chelsea had fans on them that outweighed most of the vehicles.

It must be noted though, that none of these cars were ever designed to go flat out while sitting still.

Gotta-Qik-C7