C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

MexicoCityM3

Does the normal Stingray have problems at the track as well or only the Z06?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Gotta-Qik-C7

I haven't heard any complaints from the guys on the Vette Forums.....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FlatBlackCaddy

Excuses and explanations aside, GM screwed up. No big deal, every company does, sadly GM just likes to let the ball come around and hit them in the face more times than most companies do.

Might just chalk this one up to "never buy a new model in it's first year".

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on December 14, 2014, 10:14:08 PM

Other than that one guys car that blew up, and then was given a several month run around, everyone else seems to be happy with the base car. I haven't heard of any tuning companies having issues with them either(though I don't lurk on the vette forums much).

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on December 14, 2014, 10:14:08 PM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 15, 2014, 07:33:21 AM
Other than that one guys car that blew up, and then was given a several month run around, everyone else seems to be happy with the base car. I haven't heard of any tuning companies having issues with them either(though I don't lurk on the vette forums much).

That's good to know. A single failure does not worry me.

The Stingray is on a shortlist of cars I might get sometime and track capability is a definite need for me. The Z06 I cannot afford so I don't really care.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 15, 2014, 09:54:01 AM
That's good to know. A single failure does not worry me.

The Stingray is on a shortlist of cars I might get sometime and track capability is a definite need for me. The Z06 I cannot afford so I don't really care.

It blew up with the guy (allegedly) going 60 MPH under part throttle. Totally blew the motor.

I'm less worried about the failure and moreso the GM dealers(usual) tactic of jacking the guy around for months and forcing early stages of court action to get his car fixed.

If you can get past the car part of ownership then your half way there, by far the worst aspect is the GM dealership network. Second to none when it comes to slime baggery. Considering the generally low morals of the car sales industry in general, it should be an extremely scary thought.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 15, 2014, 01:12:24 PM
It blew up with the guy (allegedly) going 60 MPH under part throttle. Totally blew the motor.

I'm less worried about the failure and moreso the GM dealers(usual) tactic of jacking the guy around for months and forcing early stages of court action to get his car fixed.

If you can get past the car part of ownership then your half way there, by far the worst aspect is the GM dealership network. Second to none when it comes to slime baggery. Considering the generally low morals of the car sales industry in general, it should be an extremely scary thought.

I think down here GM's rep is better. To get to sell Vettes and Camaros they have to be Caddy dealers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FlatBlackCaddy

ohh Caddy dealers........ LMAO!!!!!

Sorry, I hope it is different down there.

Still, no offense, but with your past record of car ownership I'd seek out much better options or look into the viper if you want a more track capable vehicle in stock form.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 15, 2014, 01:16:38 PM
ohh Caddy dealers........ LMAO!!!!!

Sorry, I hope it is different down there.

Still, no offense, but with your past record of car ownership I'd seek out much better options or look into the viper if you want a more track capable vehicle in stock form.

None taken. I really like the current gen Vette. A used 997.2 is also a possibility.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

997.2 is a strong pick

DFI Cayman S is good too.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 15, 2014, 01:14:27 PM
I think down here GM's rep is better. To get to sell Vettes and Camaros they have to be Caddy dealers.

GM's rep is fine here too if you're not a hater or jealous or don't understand how cars are designed ;).

Given Caddy's recent penchant for hi-po cars (many Fsport and -V variants), and that the Camaro and Corvette are on the premium $$$ side, makes sense.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on December 15, 2014, 01:58:17 PM
GM's rep is fine here too if you're not a hater or jealous or don't understand how cars are designed ;).

Hater=0.5%
Jealous=0.25%
Don't understand anything about cars=98%
GM fans=1.25%

So no, GM's rep here is not fine by your logic.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 15, 2014, 02:00:48 PM
Hater=0.5%
Jealous=0.25%
Don't understand anything about cars=98%
GM fans=1.25%

So no, GM's rep here is not fine by your logic.

"Here" I meant the US not the 'SPIN FWIW...

That one does not know doesn't not mean one does not understand. Plenty know they know nothing (or don't care) about design, which is understanding. "Don't understand" is stating they understand and then demonstrating that they don't, like this BS business about "powered" rods.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on December 15, 2014, 02:11:01 PM
"Here" I meant the US not the 'SPIN FWIW...

Yea I get that

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FlatBlackCaddy

SJ_GTI

Nothing more pre-teen girl-ish than making a point to tell someone you are ignoring them.  :devil:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 16, 2014, 06:28:42 AM
Nothing more pre-teen girl-ish than making a point to tell someone you are ignoring them.  :devil:

ohh come on, you know he likes it.

hotrodalex

They should just fill the whole engine compartment with water.

Then after a track day you could hop in your Corvette Hot Tub™ and enjoy the sunset.

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 16, 2014, 06:28:42 AM

Especially when she's not actually ignoring them ;).

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

Sounds like from C&D's long term tester you need to have a full time tow truck on stand by for the C7... 2nd engine and now 2nd starter...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

No no, that's normal. That's to protect the transmission.

FlatBlackCaddy

No surprises really, gm is a joke. With such incompetent people running the show it's amazing most the stuff turns out as well as it does.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 30, 2014, 05:49:06 PM
The hits keep coming

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1096096_first-2015-chevy-corvette-z06-engine-destroyed-with-just-891-miles-on-the-clock?kinja

In probably related news (but nobody seems to care), Chevy Sparks are having engine failures left and right. Maybe they have the same valves as a Z06.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Seems fishy. Happened today yet GM has already called it as covered by warranty? I also had to 'lol' that he makes payments on it :facepalm:

68_427

Was also doing "a pull" 

Who knows how many he'd already done the first 800 miles.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

"Pull" sounds like code for shifting from 2nd to 1st when he meant to grab 3rd. Unlike bearings or pistons the valve train doesn't experience that much more stress during a "pull" other than from accelerating quicker. However, grabbing 1st when meaning to grab 3rd can definitely over speed the engine which can definitely pop valve train components.

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on December 30, 2014, 07:11:44 PM
Seems fishy. Happened today yet GM has already called it as covered by warranty? I also had to 'lol' that he makes payments on it :facepalm:

No kidding.  There are a ton of hoops to jump through to get a new engine under warranty at Volvo.  In my time working for Volvo of Dallas, we've replaced two 3.2 I6s for well documented oil consumption.  First, the complaint has to be documented with the tech line, followed by the first correction.  Of course, something like this is...different, but there will still be hoops to jump through. 

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on December 30, 2014, 07:35:35 PM
"Pull" sounds like code for shifting from 2nd to 1st when he meant to grab 3rd. Unlike bearings or pistons the valve train doesn't experience that much more stress during a "pull" other than from accelerating quicker. However, grabbing 1st when meaning to grab 3rd can definitely over speed the engine which can definitely pop valve train components.

Shifting from 2nd at redline to 1st gear would take some incredible skill to get it to synchronize
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed