C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

The guy probably has been doing a constant burnout for 800miles.

Probably missed a shift and blew the motor.

I bet he's a ford guy with a bunch of money and just bought one to blew up.

Probably just a hit piece by an anti GM source.

Etc, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of excuses.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 30, 2014, 07:44:14 PM

I think that's the obvious answer. More believable than GM engineers just suddenly forgot what they're doing.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 30, 2014, 08:03:43 PM
I think that's the obvious answer. More believable than GM engineers just suddenly forgot what they're doing.

Forget? Who says they EVER knew what they were doing?

FlatBlackCaddy

I love how some people forget that all car companies make mistakes when it comes time to criticize "their" brand.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 30, 2014, 07:44:14 PM
Not possible. After just one burnout the computer goes into Limp Mode.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 30, 2014, 09:08:33 PM
I love how some people forget that all car companies make mistakes when it comes time to criticize "their" brand.

Most of these problems are from people who can't even wait 1,500 miles before they abuse the car. So sorry for being skeptical.

GoCougs

Quote from: CJ on December 30, 2014, 07:37:44 PM
No kidding.  There are a ton of hoops to jump through to get a new engine under warranty at Volvo.  In my time working for Volvo of Dallas, we've replaced two 3.2 I6s for well documented oil consumption.  First, the complaint has to be documented with the tech line, followed by the first correction.  Of course, something like this is...different, but there will still be hoops to jump through. 

Makes GM out as pretty darn casual with its most expensive vehicle, esp. one so ripe for abuse.

Either this has happened to many cars and GM knows there's a big problem or the story just doesn't wash. I have no choice but to lean toward the latter until there is further info.

GoCougs

Or, I'll add, the diagnostic info from the car was sent to GM, and it contained enough info for them to exactly pinpoint it as a warranty issue (also highly unlikely but I guess technically possible).

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 30, 2014, 10:23:18 PM
Most of these problems are from people who can't even wait 1,500 miles before they abuse the car. So sorry for being skeptical.

Are corvette owners the only ones that do that? Doesn't EVERY rich idiot who buys a performance car do that? Why the hell aren't all cars having such wide spread(relatively) and catastrophic problems?

It's not unheard of for a car company(or any company) to screw up, it's happened before, it will happen again and I"m pretty sure it's happening now with the corvette.

MX793

Quote from: CJ on December 30, 2014, 07:37:44 PM
No kidding.  There are a ton of hoops to jump through to get a new engine under warranty at Volvo.  In my time working for Volvo of Dallas, we've replaced two 3.2 I6s for well documented oil consumption.  First, the complaint has to be documented with the tech line, followed by the first correction.  Of course, something like this is...different, but there will still be hoops to jump through. 

Oil consumption is not the same as a grenaded engine.  You still have a driving, working car when you have oil consumption issues.  Also, all automakers have a lengthy process one must go through when making a warranty claim for oil consumption.  A co-worker had a Chrysler van that was consuming oil and they made him go through a process that required driving several thousand miles to determine the exact consumption rate, and then evaluated whether the consumption rate exceeded the "norm" (which is much higher than most realize).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 31, 2014, 07:28:54 AM

It's not unheard of for a car company(or any company) to screw up, it's happened before, it will happen again and I"m pretty sure it's happening now with the corvette.

True.  One also cannot rule out that it isn't a supplier issue rather than a design issue.  Like Nissan's oil consumption issues on the QR engine family that result from a supplier providing bad or out of spec rings.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on December 31, 2014, 07:46:04 AM
True.  One also cannot rule out that it isn't a supplier issue rather than a design issue.  Like Nissan's oil consumption issues on the QR engine family that result from a supplier providing bad or out of spec rings.

I'm not looking to find the problem, and whether it's a design issue or part issue doesn't matter. The point is still the same and relevant. GM's biggest problem with things like this isn't the problem itself(whatever and wherever it originated) but in how they handle it.

They have a long history of handling these types of things poorly, and yes other car companies do as well. Just seems GM really takes it to a whole new level when it comes to incompetence and management of post production issues.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 31, 2014, 07:28:54 AM
Are corvette owners the only ones that do that? Doesn't EVERY rich idiot who buys a performance car do that? Why the hell aren't all cars having such wide spread(relatively) and catastrophic problems?

Haven't you seen all the Corvette street racing wreck videos? 'Vette owners are a special kind of stupid. :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 31, 2014, 08:47:38 AM
I'm not looking to find the problem, and whether it's a design issue or part issue doesn't matter. The point is still the same and relevant. GM's biggest problem with things like this isn't the problem itself(whatever and wherever it originated) but in how they handle it.

They have a long history of handling these types of things poorly, and yes other car companies do as well. Just seems GM really takes it to a whole new level when it comes to incompetence and management of post production issues.
IDK. For a while German cars were pretty awful reliability wise, and nobody complained. In fact, people keep going back for more of those very same cars, working around all the flaws, despite them not being that good IMO. A lot of it comes down to the owners too and what they will accept.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 31, 2014, 12:49:26 PM
IDK. For a while German cars were pretty awful reliability wise, and nobody complained. In fact, people keep going back for more of those very same cars, working around all the flaws, despite them not being that good IMO. A lot of it comes down to the owners too and what they will accept.

:confused:

SVT666

Affluent owners will put up with a lot if the badge is prestigious enough.  The local BMW dealer has a 5 week waiting list to get in for repair work.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 31, 2014, 09:01:15 AM
Haven't you seen all the Corvette street racing wreck videos? 'Vette owners are a special kind of stupid. :lol:

The guy who can fork over ~$100k (or, fork over the payment  :facepalm:) for a new Corvette is highly highly unlikely to be That Guy.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on December 31, 2014, 02:52:18 PM
Affluent owners will put up with a lot if the badge is prestigious enough.  The local BMW dealer has a 5 week waiting list to get in for repair work.
They probably decorate the waiting rooms like night clubs.

Quote from: GoCougs on December 31, 2014, 03:54:03 PM
The guy who can fork over ~$100k (or, fork over the payment  :facepalm:) for a new Corvette is highly highly unlikely to be That Guy.
The guy who can fork over $100K cash for a Corvette legitimately probably isn't. U hit the nail on the head with that HELOC baller meme.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Thats true! Thats why the LS400 (and NSX) was such a game changer!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

GM sent the guy a new engine for his Z06. He received it today. I wasn't expecting GM to respond so quickly! they also gave him the choice of letting them repair his original engine so his car wouldn't have differant serial numbers just in case he wanted to keep the car "Numbers Matching"....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Autoblog retards spreading C8 mid engine rumors already. And saying it could be a 2017 model. The C7 just came out! They're not moving on to the next generation in 3 years.

Rich

It won't be a next gen. They will sell he mid engine ZR1 alongside the stingray and z06
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on January 08, 2015, 11:22:08 PM
It won't be a next gen. They will sell he mid engine ZR1 alongside the stingray and z06
There will never be a mid-engine Corvette.

68_427

Could be a Cadillac halo car
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Quote from: 68_427 on January 09, 2015, 12:42:55 AM
Could be a Cadillac halo car

I think that's much more likely.

12,000 RPM

There have been talks of a mid engine Vette since the C2

ILL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT FOR SALE.

Lebowski

Mid engine corvette wouldn't be a corvette.  That's like a front engine fwd 911.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on January 09, 2015, 08:29:45 AM
Mid engine corvette wouldn't be a corvette.  That's like a front engine fwd 911.

Hey, don't give them any ideas!

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on January 09, 2015, 08:29:45 AM
Exactly.  I've always said that.  I see people say "I want a mid engine Corvette", and my response has always been, "Then you don't want a Corvette, you want a Ferrari."