C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on January 07, 2016, 12:51:39 PM
Well yeah, you sold your Z for a Civic because your Z was too much of a race car for the street. I can see why you wouldn't like the Viper.
I like the Viper. I just wouldn't buy one to drive on the street.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 08, 2016, 07:10:26 AM

I would. Only pussies complain about a Viper being "loud" or "uncomfortable" or "I fry eggs on the door sill". It's a Viper, assholes.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 08, 2016, 07:10:26 AM

I think I would. But not the ACR, or whatever the crazy track model is.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 08, 2016, 07:19:32 AM
I would. Only pussies complain about a Viper being "loud" or "uncomfortable" or "I fry eggs on the door sill". It's a Viper, assholes.

Well, I never wear shorts, so I don't have to worry about a contact burn.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 08, 2016, 07:19:32 AM

Might even be able to bake cookies.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 08, 2016, 10:38:29 AM
Might even be able to bake cookies.

Only if you leave it running.  Revving the engine is how you maintain proper baking temperature.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on January 07, 2016, 05:08:40 PM
Neither of these cars are daily drivers, so I don't care which is the better overall car.  The Viper is an astounding track car.  It costs $130K and absolutely annihilates the 918 and P1.

The Z06/Z07 is totally a daily driver, or at least as much so as a base C7 - comfort, ride, amenities. The biggest hassle a DD owner will run into is the PSS Cup 2 tires will wear quickly and be pricey.

SJ_GTI

My brother's boss (a doctor) used to daily drive his (C6) Z06 for years.

He did eventually get tired of it (after his girlfriend crashed it...twice) and traded it in for an S8.

mzziaz

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 08, 2016, 02:46:37 PM
My brother's boss (a doctor) used to daily drive his (C6) Z06 for years.

He did eventually get tired of it (after his girlfriend crashed it...twice) and traded it in for an S8.

Should have traded the girlfriend instead.
Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

68_427

Corvette Grandsport to be showed at Geneva
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Fuck that is going to be beast mode

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 68_427 on February 29, 2016, 01:10:17 PM
Corvette Grandsport to be showed at Geneva
I can't afford a C6 GS let alone a new one!  :rage:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

Quote2017 CORVETTE GRAND SPORT HAS RACING ROOTS

A 'purist' model that leverages a half-century legacy of motorsports success

- Lightweight architecture and track-honed aerodynamics
- An engine offering an estimated 1.05g in cornering capability and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package
- Coupe and convertible available this summer in U.S. and fall in Europe
- Grand Sport Collector Edition available later in model year

GENEVA – With Corvette Racing in its DNA, the all-new 2017 Corvette Grand Sport is a pure expression of the car's motorsports-bred pedigree. It was introduced today at the Geneva International Motor Show.

Like the 2015 Le Mans-winning Corvette C7.R GTE Pro race car, the new Grand Sport combines a lightweight architecture, a track-honed aerodynamics package, Michelin tires and a naturally aspirated engine.

The 2017 Corvette Grand Sport offers an estimated 1.05g in cornering capability – and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package.

Heritage-inspired design cues and exclusive features acknowledge the historic Grand Sport legacy, established in 1963 to take on the world's best sports cars. Only five were built before a corporate decision suspending direct motorsports involvement ended the project.

"Racing has been part of Corvette's essence for more than 50 years and that track experience has helped us build better, more capable cars," said Mark Reuss, executive vice president of Global Product Development and Global Purchasing and Supply Chain. "The global acclaim for the seventh-generation Corvette validates that direct link and the 2017 Grand Sport takes its track-bred technology to a new, exciting threshold."

The Corvette Grand Sport coupe and convertible go on sale this summer in the U.S. and in the fall in Europe.

No holding back

Engineers adapted the chassis tuning, upgraded cooling systems, and performance technologies of the Corvette Z06 to give the new Grand Sport capability commensurate with its racing-derived history.

"We didn't hold back with the new Grand Sport," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. "For the first time, buyers can equip the Grand Sport with a Z07 performance package – which adds carbon-ceramic brakes, Michelin Sport Cup 2 summer tires, and carbon-fiber aero package that delivers true downforce."

The result is a potent track car. In fact, the Grand Sport with the Z07 package is less than one second off the track record for the previous-generation Corvette ZR1 on the road course at GM's Milford Proving Ground.

Content highlights for Grand Sport include:

- Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires: 285/30ZR19 (front) and 335/25ZR20 (rear)
- Specific Grand Sport wheel design: 19x10 inches (front) and 20x12 inches (rear)
- Brembo brake system with (355 mm) 14-inch rotors and six-piston calipers in front and (340 mm) 13.4 inch rotors and four-piston calipers in the rear
- Standard magnetic ride control, specific stabilizer bars and unique springs
- Standard electronic limited-slip differential
- LT1 V8 engine rated at (343 kW) 460 hp, with dry-sump oiling system and active exhaust
- Seven-speed manual transmission with active rev match and available eight-speed paddle-shift automatic with specific performance calibration
- Available Z07 package adds carbon ceramic-matrix brakes and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Cup tires.

In addition to track-focused aero elements, the Grand Sport also features specific front fender inserts, a Z06-style grille and wider rear fenders – a distinctive design package that gives the car a track-ready attitude.

Grand Sport models are offered with the Stingray's full exterior and interior color palette. An available Heritage package includes hash-mark fender graphics in six colors, with the hash-mark detail carried onto the interior's brushed aluminum trim. Full-length stripes are also offered.

"The choices are almost endless," said Harlan Charles, Corvette product marketing manager. "The packages take personalization to an unprecedented level, enabling customers to create their own Corvette Grand Sport statement like no other."

Grand Sport Collector Edition

The Grand Sport Collector Edition features an exclusive Watkins Glen Gray Metallic exterior with Tension Blue hash-mark graphics, satin black full-length stripes, black wheels and a unique Tension Blue full leather and suede-wrapped interior.

The Tension Blue color is a bold, modern take on the hue historically associated with the Grand Sport. Inside, a three-dimensional representation of an original Grand Sport race car is embossed in the headrests and that shape is also used on an instrument panel plaque that carries a unique build sequence number.

The Collector Edition will be offered later in the model year in the U.S. and Europe.

Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 115 countries and selling around 4.0 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature engaging performance, design that makes the heart beat, passive and active safety features and easy-to-use technology, all at a value. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Wow, this is the one to buy. Love that blue and the widebody. Only wish it came with 18" wheels all around, 19s and 20s are just heavier and require more expensive tires.

Raza

Am I turning around on the C7? I still don't think it looks like a Corvette, but damn does it look cool.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on March 01, 2016, 09:10:33 AM
Am I turning around on the C7? I still don't think it looks like a Corvette, but damn does it look cool.
It's overwrought for sure, but I can't knock its fundamentals.

Will be HELLA interesting to see how this stacks up against the Z06. I am feeling like it won't give up too much thanks to the significantly better balance.

FoMoJo

Seems a bit under-powered.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 01, 2016, 11:06:52 AM
Seems a bit under-powered.

A simple cam swap would do a lot if you want more. 460 seems plenty, though. Lots of very fast guys race cars in that range.

12,000 RPM

Yep.... Chevy is HP capped with NA LTs it seems, but the aftermarket isn't. FFFF.... I'm seeing I/H/E + cams yielding ~80WHP gains on an LT1.

SJ_GTI

Not that I plan on buying a Corvette anytime soon (or ever), but I actually like this package more than the Z06. If I am understanding right you essentially get all the handling upgrades (and some other things like the dry sump lubrication upgrade), but keep the normally aspirated V8.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 01, 2016, 11:36:52 AM
Yep.... Chevy is HP capped with NA LTs it seems, but the aftermarket isn't. FFFF.... I'm seeing I/H/E + cams yielding ~80WHP gains on an LT1.

shhh... don't tell the EPA.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 01, 2016, 11:37:09 AM
Not that I plan on buying a Corvette anytime soon (or ever), but I actually like this package more than the Z06. If I am understanding right you essentially get all the handling upgrades (and some other things like the dry sump lubrication upgrade), but keep the normally aspirated V8.

And the widebody, which is much better looking.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on March 01, 2016, 09:10:33 AM
I still don't think it looks like a Corvette, but damn does it look cool.
:hesaid: I think The C6 has cleaner styling but The C7 is sexy in it's own right........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 01, 2016, 11:32:49 AM
A simple cam swap would do a lot if you want more. 460 seems plenty, though. Lots of very fast guys race cars in that range.
Another article said they fixed the cooling problems.  Boosting the power might reintroduce that problem.

However, 460 is more than enough for a street car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

This is cool, but I think I would still go for the Z51.

RomanChariot

I love the look of this car but this line cracked me up.

- An engine offering an estimated 1.05g in cornering capability and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package

Next time I am car shopping I will have to ask which engine offers the most grip.

MX793

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 01, 2016, 03:36:56 PM
I love the look of this car but this line cracked me up.

Next time I am car shopping I will have to ask which engine offers the most grip.

Unless perhaps their referring to the engine lubrication system.  Sustained high G can result in oil sloshing away from the pickup and starving the engine of oil.  However, I think that in this case that's unlikely what they were referring to.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

Jesus, 20x12 rear wheels. :mask:

Should run a square setup with that all the way around. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R