C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on June 19, 2016, 12:24:28 PM
The Corvette for various reasons has had livability issues since it debuted in '53 yet GM has made some fantastic cars since then.

The intro of new Corvette generations are generally groundbreaking but GM just doesn't spend the time to get the details right, which is a shame given how long previous Corvette generations have lasted.

IMO, GM spends too much money on things that don't really help (leaf springs, goofy tech, maybe even space frame chassis) rather than spending time on things like reliability/durability and quality.

Disagree with your last sentence. GM keeps the basic Corvette fundamentals... pushrod V8, highly engineered transverse leaf springs, which is a Corvette signature and helps make it one of the best handling cars out there, and the space frame is a necessity of the fiberglass/composite body... another Corvette signature. The "goofy" tech is a necessity of the market. If your competitors offer it you pretty much have to.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on June 19, 2016, 08:11:14 AM
Those long termers were first year cars, and by now (hopefully) the issues have been dealt with. The thing that strikes me about Corvettes is how they hold their value. A quick search shows that 10 year old cars, 2006-2007 last gen priced in the 30's... still some 50% of their original msrps. Couple that with low parts and maintenance costs, and it's still one of the better sportscars to buy.

I'm watching too and I see 2008-2009 in that prices range with moderate miles! It's nothing to find a 2008 for 25K with 40-50K on it! I'm also watching GS models and they are still in the mid to upper 30s for a 2010 hardtop!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on June 19, 2016, 12:36:40 PM
Disagree with your last sentence. GM keeps the basic Corvette fundamentals... pushrod V8, highly engineered transverse leaf springs, which is a Corvette signature and helps make it one of the best handling cars out there, and the space frame is a necessity of the fiberglass/composite body... another Corvette signature. The "goofy" tech is a necessity of the market. If your competitors offer it you pretty much have to.

Corvette competitors - F-type, 911, Cayman/Boxter, maybe even the GT350 and Z/28, etc. - don't use that stuff however.

Xer0

The Corvette is also a fantastic autocross/track car that I bet is used a lot more than its competitors, at least based off of my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on June 19, 2016, 01:04:59 PM
Corvette competitors - F-type, 911, Cayman/Boxter, maybe even the GT350 and Z/28, etc. - don't use that stuff however.

The Corvette kicks their asses.

You sure changed your tune in the past two pages.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on June 19, 2016, 01:04:59 PM

That's like dismissing the 911... no other car offers a goofy rear engine. I don't want the Corvette to be like the others. I want it to be a Corvette.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

I think it looks best in red, actually.  Or gray. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

FlatBlackCaddy

This is where I hide my back pills from my grandkids.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Gotta-Qik-C7

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on June 29, 2016, 04:34:46 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-chevrolet-corvette-mid-engine-c8-spy-photos-news

Thats for the link, I'm going to print it out and put it in the scrapebook with all the other "insert next generation corvette code" is going to be mid engined articles.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 29, 2016, 06:15:41 PM
Thats for the link, I'm going to print it out and put it in the scrapebook with all the other "insert next generation corvette code" is going to be mid engined articles.

Shit's getting out of hand bro.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 30, 2016, 03:39:11 PM
A mid-engine platform with a modern engine, maybe. Oh good, maybe the Ford GT will have some competition now. :ohyeah:

The Midvette will probably be 1/4 the price of the GT.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on June 30, 2016, 07:08:06 PM
The Midvette will probably be 1/4 the price of the GT.
That too. At least the race versions will be comparable.  I doubt Ford will make many more GTs though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

CaminoRacer

Cool

(Hehe)

Although I will point out that it says the issues may have been less than 5% of the cars. It definitely wasn't all of them - out of curiosity I asked a well-known owner of one of the companies in the pro-touring scene and he said he's had zero issues with his. He runs his cars hard, so I thought it was strange that he didn't have any problems yet some people apparently had massive issues. But any upgrades are welcome.

Payman

Quote from: 68_427 on June 20, 2016, 09:47:33 PM

Lol. My brother just custom ordered a Grand Sport EXACTLY in this colour scheme.

68_427

Nice.  Hope he didn't get black wheels.
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on July 21, 2016, 09:26:36 PM
Lol. My brother just custom ordered a Grand Sport EXACTLY in this colour scheme.

Is he getting rid of the Viper?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Payman

Quote from: Raza  on July 22, 2016, 08:04:58 AM
Is he getting rid of the Viper?

Dunno about the wheels, probably the gunmetal ones like the pic. Bro sold the Viper 3 years ago. His ridiculous divorce put a damper on his car acquisitions for awhile.