Alternator question for techs...

Started by FoMoJo, January 02, 2013, 10:58:53 AM

FoMoJo

Does a worn battery (doesn't hold a full charge) damage the alternator?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

I can't see why it would.  I have heard that a weak battery can fry your starter motor, though.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

It can, hypothetically, I think.

Dead battery that won't hold a charge causes the alternator draw to be as high as possible, all the time, and eventually you have overheating leading to mechanical failure.

At least, I think this is possible. Depends on the car, the engine, the size of alternator and battery? :huh:

Your battery will never charge and you'll probably kill the starter after repeatedly jump starting it. :huh:

shp4man

Generally, if the battery is bad enough to affect the alternator, nobody will drive the car long enough to do much damage.  :huh:

FoMoJo

The reason I was asking was that the battery in my '01 Escape, the original, was starting to fade even though it still had enough juice to start on the first go.  I was planning to replace it soon but didn't want to jeopardize the alternator if it was being strained.  However, this pm I went to start it and, due to the drop in temperature, it just grunted a bit and started clicking.  I will now get a new battery tomorrow.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

VTEC_Inside

It can put a lot more strain on the alternator than normal. I've always considered the battery an electrical buffer, devices draw from it while the alternator recharges it. Without a healthy battery, sudden draws aren't buffered as well passing them on to the alternator.

Even if it doesn't damage the mechanical components, there is the voltage regulator and diodes that can possibly fry too.

I went through a couple alternators on the Accord back in the day. It has a small battery and the alternator is rated for 65amps. Add an amp running a couple 12s to that and well....

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

S204STi

Quote from: shp4man on January 02, 2013, 03:36:09 PM
Generally, if the battery is bad enough to affect the alternator, nobody will drive the car long enough to do much damage.  :huh:

:hesaid:

S204STi

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 02, 2013, 03:39:55 PM
The reason I was asking was that the battery in my '01 Escape, the original, was starting to fade even though it still had enough juice to start on the first go.  I was planning to replace it soon but didn't want to jeopardize the alternator if it was being strained.  However, this pm I went to start it and, due to the drop in temperature, it just grunted a bit and started clicking.  I will now get a new battery tomorrow.

Ford batteries last a very long time, but at this age it's definitely due.

VTEC_Inside

The original battery is still alive and kicking in my RSX. :mask:

I had to jump it for the first time last year after it sat for a couple months in the winter. After that its still given no indication of being done.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

S204STi

Mine was good for almost exactly 5 years.

FoMoJo

Quote from: S204STi on January 02, 2013, 05:30:08 PM
Got a new one and put it in today.  Big difference.  I think the original might have lasted a bit longer if I drove longer distances.  Since I retired, my usual trip is into town and back a couple times a week...about 2 miles each way.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: S204STi on January 02, 2013, 05:30:08 PM

I replaced mine for the first time this fall. I got an Autozone battery this time since I plan on getting rid of the car soon.

Damn thing caught on fire one time and all it needed was a charge.

S204STi

FWIW, wally-world seems to make a good battery. Sort of like their oil, it sort of flies below the radar.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 03, 2013, 04:24:01 PM
Got a new one and put it in today.  Big difference.  I think the original might have lasted a bit longer if I drove longer distances.  Since I retired, my usual trip is into town and back a couple times a week...about 2 miles each way.

Eek! Once a month you need to drive it for 20+ minutes. Otherwise you won't burn the water out of much of the system. In fact your 2mile only trips puts the car into "severe" maintenance schedules....
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 03, 2013, 05:43:11 PM
Eek! Once a month you need to drive it for 20+ minutes. Otherwise you won't burn the water out of much of the system. In fact your 2mile only trips puts the car into "severe" maintenance schedules....
Yeah, I know.  I think I'll start going to some of the nearby auctions to put a few miles on...need to get some more tools for the workshop.

93JC

He's in Canada: he's already following the severe service schedule. Or he should.

Rupert

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 03, 2013, 06:55:26 PM
Yeah, I know.  I think I'll start going to some of the nearby auctions to put a few miles on...need to get some more tools for the workshop.

Don't you still have a Duetto that needs to be restored?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: S204STi on January 03, 2013, 04:48:57 PM
FWIW, wally-world seems to make a good battery. Sort of like their oil, it sort of flies below the radar.

Wally-world one of the established players to produce batteries and oil and slap their brand name on it.  I believe their "Super Tech" brand is actually Pennzoil.  Wouldn't surprise me if their batteries were made by Exide.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on January 03, 2013, 07:50:40 PM
He's in Canada: he's already following the severe service schedule. Or he should.
I do.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rupert on January 03, 2013, 11:42:29 PM
Don't you still have a Duetto that needs to be restored?
Yes I do.  I started insulating my workshop this fall so I could heat it and do some work on the Alfa...but it got too cold before I finished.  I'm hoping for a few mild days so that I can get on with it.  No fun working out there when your ass is freezing.

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 03, 2013, 04:24:01 PM

You got 11-12 years out of the OEM battery (made by Johnson Controls, IIRC).  You certainly received your money's worth.   :ohyeah:

FoMoJo

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 04, 2013, 07:25:59 PM
You got 11-12 years out of the OEM battery (made by Johnson Controls, IIRC).  You certainly received your money's worth.   :ohyeah:
12 years.  What's surprising, as well, is that I haven't had to change the headlight bulbs yet...just one parking light and a tail light.

Byteme

Quote from: MX793 on January 04, 2013, 11:15:49 AM
Wally-world one of the established players to produce batteries and oil and slap their brand name on it.  I believe their "Super Tech" brand is actually Pennzoil.  Wouldn't surprise me if their batteries were made by Exide.

I think they are, or at least were, made by Johnson Controls. 

Something else to consider.  Walmart moves a lot of batteries so the one you buy there will likely be fresher than one you repair shop may have had in stock for a while.

I use their Supertech oil in the F150; it meets SAE and API specs so what the heck.

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 04, 2013, 07:28:18 PM
12 years.  What's surprising, as well, is that I haven't had to change the headlight bulbs yet...just one parking light and a tail light.

I had a 2001, it was pretty bullet proof for the 120,000 miles I had it.  Altrernator croaked at about 100,000 miles.  Otrher than that, zip for problems.

S204STi

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 04, 2013, 07:33:20 PM
I think they are, or at least were, made by Johnson Controls. 

Something else to consider.  Walmart moves a lot of batteries so the one you buy there will likely be fresher than one you repair shop may have had in stock for a while.

I use their Supertech oil in the F150; it meets SAE and API specs so what the heck.

That and they can't afford to sully their name by selling shit oil.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on January 05, 2013, 12:08:27 AM
That and they can't afford to sully their name by selling shit oil.

All I know is that a remington 770 (already a cheap gun) sold at Walmart is known to have a cheaper finish on it than one bought anywhere else. Guns elsewhere are chemically treated manganese phosphate finsihes: while the ones sold at wally world are basically spray painted.

How much influence Walmart exerts on other companies to reduce prices by taking such measures, I have no idea.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 05, 2013, 01:20:51 AM
All I know is that a remington 770 (already a cheap gun) sold at Walmart is known to have a cheaper finish on it than one bought anywhere else. Guns elsewhere are chemically treated manganese phosphate finsihes: while the ones sold at wally world are basically spray painted.

How much influence Walmart exerts on other companies to reduce prices by taking such measures, I have no idea.

I've heard that about other products as well.  It you look at part numbers for things like televisions, you'll notice that the version Walmart sells has a unique part number in many cases (often with one digit changed, or a unique dash number) from the "normal" version advertised on the manufacturer's website.  This is because their version is often cheapened somehow.
Needs more Jiggawatts

S204STi

Yeah but back to my point, you don't hear about cars grenading engines on their oil, do you?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on January 05, 2013, 08:21:30 AM
Yeah but back to my point, you don't hear about cars grenading engines on their oil, do you?

No, but how many cars are running around on wally world oil that don't already have 180,000 miles on them?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

They still have to pass the API tests and so forth.  It can't be junk, by default.