The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Ground clearance is easily achieved.

GoCougs

New SQ5! There's an option for air suspension that boosts ground clearance at lower speeds by a whole two inches, up to 9.2 total (which isn't bad).

Looking again at the underside of the G I bent the engine cradle support member. Still steers and tracks as good as ever but was a close call - hitting the AT pan or a lower control arm and I could have been screwed. I would ride back to town on my bike just fine but blocking a forest road is asking to get involuntarily moved (pushed off the road). Getting a tow truck out that far would be a major PITA and $$$.

But really, plenty who shred do indeed have a second beater, usually a truck. Dirt roads can get tricky but parking lots can get a bit nasty what with vandalism and careless. Thing is most of any such rides are 2+ hours of freeway driving followed by a bit of forest road travel. Would rather not suffer in a penalty box. I will have to do something though if I'm to continue these more remote rides.

12,000 RPM

This sounds like a "what should I buy" thread in the making. I'm thinking a used dead nameplate 4x4 pickup will be your best bet (i.e. Mitsubishi Raider, Isuzu Ascender?)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Do it. Get a beater truck! You'll love it.

GoCougs

Oh, I know the drill - I've had three beater trucks in the past. A second vehicle is a PITA, plus the remote trails need a fair amount of highway driving, so it couldn't be too much of a beater.

CALL_911

SQ5 wouldn't be a bad choice

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BimmerM3

GoCougs

The problem with that class of vehicle ultra low profile rubber - not so good over rocks and the like, particularly puncture resistance.

Turns out my Infiniti dealer has a low(ish) mileage late model Xterra on their used lot. I have to go in next week for service so I'll test drive it then. Should be able to get it for $20k and maybe a bit less.

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on June 01, 2017, 09:12:46 PM
The problem with that class of vehicle ultra low profile rubber - not so good over rocks and the like, particularly puncture resistance.

Turns out my Infiniti dealer has a low(ish) mileage late model Xterra on their used lot. I have to go in next week for service so I'll test drive it then. Should be able to get it for $20k and maybe a bit less.

Unless you meant strictly the top performance variant.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Well, I was perusing Audi's online builder, and the SQ5 comes with a minimum of a 20" rim.

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on June 01, 2017, 11:05:31 PM
Well, I was perusing Audi's online builder, and the SQ5 comes with a minimum of a 20" rim.

Yeah the brakes on that require at least 19" wheels* (some 18's fit but not all)

These don't look horrible sidewall wise (255/50/19)

'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

He doesnt need a top trim one anyway
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

I don't know how gnarly the roads he's talking about are, but the Audi Allroad might be a good compromise between the G and taller CUVs/SUVs.

SJ_GTI

Some guy on TCL just bought a Golf Alltrack (I think that is what its called). Seems ideally suited for what Gougs is doing, but probably not a manly enough image. #alphaalldayeveryday

68_427

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 02, 2017, 11:27:59 AM
Some guy on TCL just bought a Golf Alltrack (I think that is what its called). Seems ideally suited for what Gougs is doing, but probably not a manly enough image. #alphaalldayeveryday

With Porsche brembos 😂
'racecar is die'
no

veeman

If you're considering an Xterra for about $20G, then sporty character is not that important or luxury trappings.  Not sure if the ground clearance of a Subaru would suit your needs.  Might be worth checking out.

BimmerM3

Quote from: veeman on June 02, 2017, 03:12:20 PM
If you're considering an Xterra for about $20G, then sporty character is not that important or luxury trappings.  Not sure if the ground clearance of a Subaru would suit your needs.  Might be worth checking out.

I think the Xterra thought was as a second vehicle, and would get him pretty much anywhere that any stock SUV could go.

The F-Pace and Allroad suggestions were intended as a G replacement since he mentioned he didn't enjoy his previous experience of owning two vehicles.

An Outback would almost certainly be tough enough though - the newest models have 8.7" of ground clearance according to Edmunds. Same site has my Explorer listed as 8.2".

giant_mtb

Detailed a new Outback today and indeed thought to myself "damn, this thing has decent ground clearance."   I think Tacoma is rated around 9.5".  Inch by inch, it does make a big difference, but it surprised me.  I wonder what they use to measure clearance.  Lowest possible point (ie, the rear pumpkin on a truck)?  Frame rail height? 

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 02, 2017, 03:53:37 PM
Detailed a new Outback today and indeed thought to myself "damn, this thing has decent ground clearance."   I think Tacoma is rated around 9.5".  Inch by inch, it does make a big difference, but it surprised me.  I wonder what they use to measure clearance.  Lowest possible point (ie, the rear pumpkin on a truck)?  Frame rail height? 

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how it's measured, and obviously things like approach, departure, and breakover angles are equally (or more) important, depending on the exact road/trail you're trying to drive on.

giant_mtb

Yeah, the front overhang is usually pretty limiting on stuff like cars...no way the front lip of an Outback is 8.7" off the ground (though I could be wrong :huh:).  I wonder if it's a measure of hang-up height.

Laconian

Yeah, the Outback has huge ground clearance. It's pretty clean underneath, too.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on June 02, 2017, 04:17:39 PM
Yeah, the Outback has huge ground clearance. It's pretty clean underneath, too.

Yes, very smooth. Most everything is tucked away nicely, which provides good confidence off road.

Laconian

I believe the smoothness is more of a fuel economy measure than an off-roading one.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Lowest point. On most cars it seems to be the engine crossmember or exhaust right behind that.

I have about 3.5 inches of clearance :mask:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 03, 2017, 12:03:06 AM
Lowest point. On most cars it seems to be the engine crossmember or exhaust right behind that.

I have about 3.5 inches of clearance :mask:

Or rear diff for solid axle truck/SUVs.

I'm guessing that the lowest point doesn't include the wheel end of the lower control arm since that moves with the wheel? Because that looks like the lowest point of a lot of taller cars with independent suspension.

CaminoRacer

The rear diff also moves with the wheels on solid axle trucks.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

FWIW the trucks and SUVs also don't put vulnerable stuff easy to bang up. My minivans have packed all kinds of goodies out of sight to most people but right where rocks would shred them off-road.

Will

AutobahnSHO

Cougs, you need something like this so the drive is nice  :lol: :lol: :lol:   Put the bikes inside easily.

Will