The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on October 10, 2020, 10:52:37 AM
Styles change, oscillating between very busy to very reserved.  You had the very reserved styling of the 1930s and 40s replaced by the very flamboyant, "jet age" styling of the 1950s (fins and chrome galore), to the more restrained 1960s, giving way to some more outgoing designs in the 70s.  The advent of computer design, along the allowance of rectangular headlamps in the late 70s led to the very angular and straight-edged 1980s.  This trend gave way to more organic and fluid shapes of the 1990s, then things got a bit angular and sharp-edged again in the late 90s into the 2000s (without reverting entirely to the boxy 80s)...

Also pedestrian safety concerns have really changed front end design in the last few decades. Makes everything more swoopy up front.

Laconian

That's true. Gotta do something with all that increased frontal surface area.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2020, 12:59:03 PM
I think my favorite time for car styling was the Giugiaro "folded paper" era.

Many many funky and cool designs were Giugiaro. Subaru SVX also.
Will

MX793

Quote from: veeman on October 10, 2020, 11:37:48 PM
Also pedestrian safety concerns have really changed front end design in the last few decades. Makes everything more swoopy up front.

I'm sick of cars bearing the brunt of pedestrian safety.  How about some of the onus be carried by pedestrians?  Pedestrian helmet laws, maybe require they wear armored/padded garments.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on October 11, 2020, 06:56:53 AM
I'm sick of cars bearing the brunt of pedestrian safety.  How about some of the onus be carried by pedestrians?  Pedestrian helmet laws, maybe require they wear armored/padded garments.

+1
And put indicator lights on the helmets.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Bubble wrap.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

But then how would the cops beat the crap out of them?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

My G37, 88,000 miles, was first put on the road exactly 11 years-ago. It's in great shape.
Last weekend I decided to keep it another year at least, and so went ahead and replaced the worn (& mediocre) Goodyear tires I'd had since 2017. Bearing in mind the weather, typical roads, & the terrain here, I went for Michelin CrossClimate-2s.  Wow - what a difference - they've transformed the steering feel. The nervous squirreling over longitudinal imperfections is gone - it just feels planted & direct.

I may even keep it two years unless something serious goes wrong; beyond this I'm not interested in "investing" any more in it (as Cougs terms it elsewhere). My financial plan did not include ditching the CR-V for the CX-5 last year... so this would get things back on track.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 03, 2021, 06:15:46 AM
My G37, 88,000 miles, was first put on the road exactly 11 years-ago. It's in great shape.
Last weekend I decided to keep it another year at least, and so went ahead and replaced the worn (& mediocre) Goodyear tires I'd had since 2017. Bearing in mind the weather, typical roads, & the terrain here, I went for Michelin CrossClimate-2s.  Wow - what a difference - they've transformed the steering feel. The nervous squirreling over longitudinal imperfections is gone - it just feels planted & direct.

I may even keep it two years unless something serious goes wrong; beyond this I'm not interested in "investing" any more in it (as Cougs terms it elsewhere). My financial plan did not include ditching the CR-V for the CX-5 last year... so this would get things back on track.

It looks exceptionally clean underneath.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Ah, I immediately thought "CrossClimate" when I saw that photo. We love them on the Outback but I'm curious how they do on a performance vehicle.

afty

The G was a great car. I hope Infiniti can recapture that magic.

Morris Minor

Quote from: afty on September 03, 2021, 01:36:59 PM
The G was a great car. I hope Infiniti can recapture that magic.
I feel it's among the last of a breed: fast, rude, crude, primitive in-car electronics.
It did not gel with me that something was amiss, until I drove it in a fast-moving convoy in the car club here, we took the long route to a barbecue place and the Infiniti just felt unstable & wrong when being pushed in the curves. My wife drove it home & she mentioned the same jitteriness.
Tires degrade slow enough that we don't notice.

GoCougs

In the year before I sold the G, I put new tires, brakes and shock/struts on it - probably more than I actually got for it on the trade in, what with 180,000+ miles on it. It didn't leak, everything worked, and even the leather on the driver's seat was in great shape. It's gonna make some used car lot peruser very very happy.

The G seemed particularly sensitive to worn tires. It would tram line (I think this is what's being described) when the tires got down to ~6/32, which is way far away from the wear bars. Still worth it though. Maybe it was due to its alignment specs? I'm not sure.

But yes, IMO it was one of the last great Japanese cars.

Submariner

Infiniti was a really good brand from about 2002-2010. 

Now, I'm not really sure what they are.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

r0tor

I have the cross climate 2 tires on the Giulia... They are great!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

I remember my G also having bad times on my worn OEM RE-050s.

CaminoRacer

I'll be getting all seasons for the Miata this fall. Cross Climates are on the list, along with DWS06+ and BFG Sport Comp 2 A/S. Haven't decided between the 3 yet.

afty

I nearly spun my G while making an off camber turn in the rain. Turned out the tires were worn.

Morris Minor

Quote from: afty on September 03, 2021, 10:23:06 PM
I nearly spun my G while making an off camber turn in the rain. Turned out the tires were worn.
Yep - I've had a few similar excitements. My G deserves some love  - I'm going to detail it this week. Feeling a bit blue - mother died in March & September is the month of her 90th birthday. Detailing is *very* therapeutic.

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 03, 2021, 09:51:51 PM
I'll be getting all seasons for the Miata this fall. Cross Climates are on the list, along with DWS06+ and BFG Sport Comp 2 A/S. Haven't decided between the 3 yet.

The cross climates probably are down a bit in dry grip to an ultra high performance all season, however I can say that the steering feel and response is as good as a summer performance tire and snow traction is as good as a snow tire.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Well well. Look what I found missing when I lifted the hood yesterday. Instantly saw it. I'm 100% certain it was the tire shop.  There were two broken ends of the locating pins left in the holes. Can't prove a thing.
Lovely. Anyway - the car looks good - gave it an autumn cleaning.

Laconian

Someone lifted your swag

Submariner

Someone who steals something like that should be sent to a gulag.

Leave obscene feedback on their google reviews page.  It will heal your soul.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

GoCougs

Search the fanboi forums. Losing that emblem is extremely common - maybe even the norm. The hypothesis is the plastic stanchions get brittle over time what with many heat cycles, and then when loose the emblem gets caught in the under hood draft, and away she goes.

Lost mine too and it cost me like $90 for a replacement (had to buy an entire engine cover on the 'Bay, and then used industrial strength adhesive).

AutobahnSHO

bummer.

I think I've been missing half the plastic fasteners for the under carriage splash shields on some of my cars.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 15, 2021, 05:43:25 AM
bummer.

I think I've been missing half the plastic fasteners for the under carriage splash shields on some of my cars.

Seems pretty common. I assume it's the oil change places not caring about them too much and being in a hurry. Either they don't bother putting them back in, or they break them and don't replace them.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Soup DeVille

As a guy who's cheezy plastic engine cover is collecting dust on a shelf in the garage, I can't imagine either wanting to or actually spending time and money replacing the plastic emblem on one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 14, 2021, 08:37:44 PM
Search the fanboi forums. Losing that emblem is extremely common - maybe even the norm. The hypothesis is the plastic stanchions get brittle over time what with many heat cycles, and then when loose the emblem gets caught in the under hood draft, and away she goes.

Lost mine too and it cost me like $90 for a replacement (had to buy an entire engine cover on the 'Bay, and then used industrial strength adhesive).
Thanks - I did some googling and realize I was too hasty assigning blame to the tire shop. This is a mountain town &, since a G37 is not a lifted truck with straight through exhausts, there is nothing on it worth purloining.