2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee & MY14 SRT JGC NAIAS Introductions

Started by Atomic, January 13, 2013, 10:37:54 AM

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on January 15, 2013, 01:09:22 PM
The shifter doesn't look like a mess at all.  The climate controls are refreshingly straightforward and simple to me.  Instead of going with touchscren bullshit they went with knobs and a couple buttons.  I love that.

Same here  :ohyeah:

As much as I thoroughly enjoy the experience of new car ownership, the vehicle must fit me like a glove and operate with ease. I would gather the vast majority of people think this way. Maybe. Maybe not. However, Jeep knows its customer base inside and out. I am not so certain about Cadillac. To get to a mandatory workshop in my profession just the other day, I was asked if I wanted to take the Medical Director's 2013 luxury sedan instead of my winter car -- my mom's 2010 Honda. Yeah, I stored the Volvo for the winter months...

At first, I was wondering if the director had purchased a new S-Class, 7-Series, A8 or maybe even an Audi "S" something. No. He traded in a late model DTS for another Cadillac. He seems to get a new one every year or two. This one? That sharp pearl white -- just stunning to stare at...

So I drove the good doc's sparkling new Cadillac XTS about 130 miles round trip the other day for the added room to carry a couple of passengers and haul AV gear in its gigantic truck. Well the big Caddy has what I think Jeep was extremely wise to avoid: electronic overkill. The otherwise impressive XTS (for the FWD barge it is) has what I think is a heat activated semi touch system that is far from precise. To be fair, at least on this particular car and would think others if not all.

The Cadillac XTS's lack of tactile input nearly drove me over the edge. The car had a great ride but I would rather have been a passenger. Caddy has taken all of the fun out of driving -- certainly not on all models. The controls on its largest sedan are overly complex, especially for the doc -- believed to nearing retirement. He said with a straight face that performing brain surgery is easier than figuring out how to operate his new Cadillac.

ON ANOTHER NOTE

Back to the JGC... I was pleased to learn that there will more distinction between each trim level for the 2014-MY (per Automotive News, 01/15/2013):

For 2014, Chrysler said it updated the Grand Cherokee to give a more premium look and differentiate the trim levels from one another. The automaker said it reduced the upper grille's height and made the headlamps slimmer on all models. It elevated the lower front fascia and raised the fog lights, too.

In the back, the Jeep Grand Cherokee features new larger taillamps with LED lights, a more aerodynamic rear spoiler, and a different tailgate design. The lower rear fascias are model-specific, according to Chrysler. Dual exhaust tips are standard on all Limited, Overland, and Summit models. The new LED lights are standard on the Overland and Summit models, and on the Limited bi-xenon HID headlamps outlined with LED running lamps are available.

*Snippet from an excellent but rather length review cover the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Atomic

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 15, 2013, 02:44:44 PM
:lol:

I'd love a 4x4 Laredo with the Pentastar and the 8-speed auto. I don't need the large engines in an SUV because I don't tow anything and every time I see a crazed "High-Power" SUV driving really fast I can't help but think about the fucking mass and the laws of physics. Just yesterday driving back from Leon a moron in a Range Rover "Sport" tried to "race" me and did all sorts of stupid things in traffic to "prove" how fast his SUV was.

I, too, think the renown Chrysler Pentastar V 6, especially now with its 8-SPD Automatic Transmission should provide more than ample power for most Jeep GC drivers. Some needing 4x4/AWD to tow large boats, campers or trailers and whatever else have the option of two highly powerful HEMI engines to choose from if they desire. now with even better MPG, as well.

As much as I love the fiercely aggressive exterior design, super hot badass leather and suede interior and sexy packaging of the SRT edition of the rad 2014-MY Grand Cherokee -- I could never justify purchasing one for my own daily needs. With its yet to be published "anticipated price" -- I agree wholeheartedly with you, MexicoCityM3. But to each his/her own and not unlike Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz with S, M and AMG variants of many models, Chrysler was wise in added the SRT line. Bravo for that and now the Bio-TurboDiesel for MY14  :cheers:

Atomic

TurboDan

This with a diesel kicks ass. Very similar to the LR2 interior (even a little better!), which is a pretty good thing. JGC has kicked ass for many years and will continue to do so. Nice job, Chrysler!

TurboDan

Quote from: SVT666 on January 15, 2013, 01:09:22 PM
The shifter doesn't look like a mess at all.  The climate controls are refreshingly straightforward and simple to me.  Instead of going with touchscren bullshit they went with knobs and a couple buttons.  I love that.

I like this too. In my LR2 there are dual knobs with numbers on them. Move them to the number of the temp you want, the car does the rest. Simple enough. LCD screen climate controls are a pain in the ass if you ask me. I don't wanna go through 10 screens to get to the damn climate control while doing 80mph and feeling a little warm/cold.  :devil:

Atomic

At the NAIAS today and the vehicle looks even better. Much. A flavor for ever taste. The interiors are vastly inproved with the finest leather for the price and then some. The most most refinement of any America made product in memory. Stunning inside and out. No understatement here. Even surpassed my highest expectations, especially its materials and comfortable seats and overall interior upfront and in back. Switchgear -- knobs -- all controls are all simple and straightforward.