2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee & MY14 SRT JGC NAIAS Introductions

Started by Atomic, January 13, 2013, 10:37:54 AM

Atomic

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and JGC SRT-8: Both Being Shown in Detroit?

Chrysler Corporation announced that its MY14 JGC will be revealed on January 14, 2013. They are touting a 6, 8 and the anxiously awaited clean Diesel and obviously its all new to the brand 8-Speed Automatic Transmission.

What I am most excited about is what I think was a slip of the tongue when a Chrysler official mentioned in a recent interview about the 2013 Detroit NAIAS for Automotive News that everyone is invited to check out the '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee at the Jeep and SRT displays. Either they are adjoined this year (doubtful) or we very well may see the 2014 SRT-8 Grand Cherokee, too. I still think they will save it, along with the highly rumored SRT Viper Convertible for the 2013 New York City Auto Show -- but who knows?

Engine Options

- 3.6-liter Pentastar V6
- 5.7-liter HEMI V8
- 3.0-liter TurboDiesel (New for 2014)
- 6.4-liter HEMI V8 (SRT-8 Exclusive)

NOTE: 8-Speed Automatic Transmission is expected to be standard across the line for MY14

Atomic

S204STi

Glimpse*...

Stoked about the TD engine option.

Galaxy

It looks like a Chrysler 300 now?  :confused:

ifcar

Quote from: Galaxy on January 13, 2013, 12:10:22 PM
It looks like a Chrysler 300 now?  :confused:

It's just the shape of the bulbs inside the lights. It looks pretty much the same as before, according to spy shots:

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2012/163_news121204_2014_jeep_grand_cherokee_diesel/photo_05.html

68_427

They're saying 30mpg for the diesel.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Love the copper, I also wanna see the blue interior

'racecar is die'
no

CJ

Atomic

Quote from: CJ on January 13, 2013, 03:23:32 PM
Looks excellent.

Agreed! Some much for my engraved invite for its 01/14/2014, unveiling! Lol.

Here are more great pics of the 2014!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2013/01/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-brings-new.html?m=1  :wub:

Catman

Doesn't look too different.  A bit more refined.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Those headlights are hideous... The rest is just meh compared my version
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

The shifter looks like a mess too... Mine's so simple to shift up our down manually, this is not

Same with the climate controls... Needlessly complicated it all
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Atomic

Quote from: Catman on January 13, 2013, 05:48:55 PM
Doesn't look too different.  A bit more refined.

The interior looks quite different, I think. Refined is a great way to describe it. I love all of the changes, from the subtle tweaks to the major ones such as the diesel option and standard 8-Speed Transmission.

Catman

Quote from: Atomic on January 13, 2013, 07:02:30 PM
The interior looks quite different, I think. Refined is a great way to describe it. I love all of the changes, from the subtle tweaks to the major ones such as the diesel option and standard 8-Speed Transmission.

Can't remember the old interior.  New one looks nice.

Atomic

Very upscale front fascia with safer and far more upscale LED lighting. The taillights are most impressive, too. I doubt I could afford the 2014 'Vette and keep the '13 Volvo, but this Jeep should be within affordable range. But two SUV/Crossovers? I dunno. Neighbors have three Audi's, including a Q7 and A7 (a college age son has a Q5) and I can see the same front light affect in the JGC as with two of the Audi's. Haven't see the lights lit on the Q5 just yet. Very well done, Chrysler. Sales should continue to soar  :wub: PERFECTION on wheels. Another winner for sure.

Atomic

Quote from: r0tor on January 13, 2013, 06:34:22 PM
The shifter looks like a mess too... Mine's so simple to shift up our down manually, this is not

I found this to be the case when test driving a vehicle I loved: A new AWD BMW X3. I cannot recall how many speeds, but I am now wondering if a higher number (6-8) could be the reason for such an unusual shifter. I seem to think before decided on the XC60 T6 R-Design that the Mercedes-Benz GLK had a stubby shifter, too. The Volvo does not but these things are trivial to most drivers and very easy to adjust to, especially for a trendsetter.

Atomic

LOTS OF ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM FRIENDS AT ALLPAR

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014-grand-cherokee.html (More details at midnight)

:popcorn:

Atomic

^Lots of details from Allpar, but also some info posted first at Carspin hasn't been added to their site just yet. I am impressed (if accurate) with the technical side of things allegedly leaked to them.

r0tor

I hate the headlights even more today.  My headlights actually have the classic big old round "I'm a damn Jeep" lights behind the lens.  This looks like it's trying too hard to be a 300c.

Morris Minor

LED tinsel is to the twenty-teens as tail fins were to the nineteen fifties IMHO. However it's a nice-looking car.

(Chrysler's legendary unreliability is a bit of an issue for me).
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MexicoCityM3

I love this SUV. Soft spot for Grand Cherokees and this one is top notch.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Catman

Quote from: r0tor on January 14, 2013, 12:45:52 PM
I hate the headlights even more today.  My headlights actually have the classic big old round "I'm a damn Jeep" lights behind the lens.  This looks like it's trying too hard to be a 300c.

Yeah, yesterday they were OK but today they look terrible.

Atomic

INTRODUCING THE HOT NEW 2014 JGC 6.4-LITER 8-SPEED SRT EDITION/NO LONGER USING SRT-8

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1081633_2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-debuts-with-fresh-styling-eight-speed-auto

For whatever reason, the '14 SRT version of the Grand Cherokee will drop the "8" from its moniker. Perhaps it's a given to Jeep fans, enthusiasts and car buying public public that the 6.4-liter HEMI signifies it having eight (8) cylinders. Atomic

NOTE: Including Photo Gallery

FORTHCOMING: Full Report of Copious Enhancements*

*Chrysler buddy to email link or will search report upon availability on www

Atomic

My insider pal is busy in MI, but acquaintance and Allpar founder David Katz does a superior job listing the preliminary information citing the countless improvements made in every area on the recently unveiled 2014 JGC SRT. He does not mention the dropping of the "8" (SRT for '14 vs. pre-MY14 SRT-8) in its original name that my college buddy at Chrysler Corp. insists is now a given when the vehicle goes on sale within mere weeks.

Great article with lots of info, here! Read on, enjoy:

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014-SRT8.html

Atomic

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 14, 2013, 06:06:21 PM
I love this SUV. Soft spot for Grand Cherokees and this one is top notch.

Great "shared tastes" (humble, eh? lol), MexicoCityM3!

Just magnificent! There will likely be less bling on the Laredo vs. what I suspect is a JGC Limited, Overland Limited or Overland Limited Summit shown in most shots (displaying that gorgeous new metallic pearl red and rich sapphire-blue)... for those opting something less flashy. I would imagine Jeep will have a variety of trim levels on display at the show that I will gladly photograph and post.

I posted news on the '14 SRT variant and in someways, the monochromatic scheme might please SUV/crossover buyers wanting less chrome and a more rugged Jeep. The Laredo will certainly provide this, too, but at a far more affordable price and with more mainstream appeal that all of the upper trim levels broadening the Grand Cherokee's vast appeal.

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on January 13, 2013, 06:34:22 PM

The shifter doesn't look like a mess at all.  The climate controls are refreshingly straightforward and simple to me.  Instead of going with touchscren bullshit they went with knobs and a couple buttons.  I love that.

SVT666

Quote from: Catman on January 14, 2013, 06:32:12 PM
Yeah, yesterday they were OK but today they look terrible.
Why do they keep redesigning shit at night?

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Atomic on January 15, 2013, 10:30:32 AM
Great "shared tastes" (humble, eh? lol), MexicoCityM3!

Just magnificent! There will likely be less bling on the Laredo vs. what I suspect is a JGC Limited, Overland Limited or Overland Limited Summit shown in most shots (displaying that gorgeous new metallic pearl red and rich sapphire-blue)... for those opting something less flashy. I would imagine Jeep will have a variety of trim levels on display at the show that I will gladly photograph and post.

I posted news on the '14 SRT variant and in someways, the monochromatic scheme might please SUV/crossover buyers wanting less chrome and a more rugged Jeep. The Laredo will certainly provide this, too, but at a far more affordable price and with more mainstream appeal that all of the upper trim levels broadening the Grand Cherokee's vast appeal.

:lol:

I'd love a 4x4 Laredo with the Pentastar and the 8-speed auto. I don't need the large engines in an SUV because I don't tow anything and every time I see a crazed "High-Power" SUV driving really fast I can't help but think about the fucking mass and the laws of physics. Just yesterday driving back from Leon a moron in a Range Rover "Sport" tried to "race" me and did all sorts of stupid things in traffic to "prove" how fast his SUV was.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)