Acura NSX concept

Started by Galaxy, January 16, 2013, 11:44:53 AM

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on January 20, 2013, 06:21:11 PM
R8 is boring?

:huh:  News to me.  Been around awhile and still one of my favorite designs.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

How can anyone call this boring?

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

I mean, it's more interesting than a sedan, but shit, it's boring grey, and it's just kind of a lump.

Great car, I guess, but boring styling.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2013, 06:30:54 PM
You disliking football isn't helping your case :mask:

You disliking me disliking football isn't helping your case.

Payman

Quote from: Rupert on January 20, 2013, 06:59:18 PM
I mean, it's more interesting than a sedan, but shit, it's boring grey, and it's just kind of a lump.

Great car, I guess, but boring styling.

Want me to post a red one?

Rupert

hotrodalex

R8 V10 roadster is teh sex.

SVT666

R8 is fucking sexy.  I love it and I'm driving an R8 V10 on a track in 2 months.  I could have picked a 458 or an Aventador, but I chose the R8.

MrH

Awesome!  Got a link to the track thing you're doing?  Just curious what's out there.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2013, 08:39:50 PM
Awesome!  Got a link to the track thing you're doing?  Just curious what's out there.
It's at Disney World.

Rupert

The Ferrari is sexy; the Audi is cold logic and engineering.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on January 20, 2013, 06:57:57 PM
Me, when there's this:

The 458 is super boring, especially when there's this:

(The 458 is like two and a half times as expensive as an R8 and is hideous)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Styling isn't cost-dependent when they're both high-end mid-engined sports cars. And you don't have to like the 458, but then I don't have to like the R8.

Onslaught

The 458 looks much better then the R8. But that's not saying that the R8 is ugly or anything. It's like saying one swimsuit model looks better then another.

VTEC_Inside

I think the R8 and 458 look good. Seeing the 458 right after the R8 made it look kinda anorexic though. Side by side, my nod is to the R8.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on January 20, 2013, 11:55:23 PM
Styling isn't cost-dependent when they're both high-end mid-engined sports cars. And you don't have to like the 458, but then I don't have to like the R8.

Never said you have to.  But yes, styling is mostly cost-dependent. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Styling isn't cost-independent, but neither does the cost of a car fully dictate what it looks like, else we wouldn't have cars like the BRZ or a bunch of Hyundais that look great, or cars like the Panamera or any Roller of the last decade that look stupid. There is no reason why the R8 had to look exactly that block-boring, other than that's Audi's styling language (or it was at the time).

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on January 21, 2013, 03:28:49 PM
Styling isn't cost-independent, but neither does the cost of a car fully dictate what it looks like, else we wouldn't have cars like the BRZ or a bunch of Hyundais that look great, or cars like the Panamera or any Roller of the last decade that look stupid. There is no reason why the R8 had to look exactly that block-boring, other than that's Audi's styling language (or it was at the time).
The R8 is sexy.

Rupert

So you keep saying, but repetition does not convince me.

SVT666

CALL_911

It's fine that you think the R8 is boring, but have you seen one in person?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

I think so? All I remember is a wide low gray block on wheels...

Rupert

SVT666

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on January 21, 2013, 04:04:34 PM
The R8 is sexy. Just now I was looking at pictures of the R8 and I fell asleep.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on January 21, 2013, 03:28:49 PM

Styling is absolutely cost dependent.  Just because there are outliers doesn't mean that isn't true more times than not.  Don't be dense.  Budget defines a car.  Budget is spent getting a car to the legal necessities and what not, and then styling is comes in based on sales necessary for model survival.  That's why all 15K subcompact hatchbacks all have a certain look and so on and so forth.  Some companies take risks on lower cost, lower volume models (especially those with shared costs, like the BRZ), but cost dictates price, price dictates a lot of things. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

I'm not being dense, particularly in the previously mentioned context of high-end mid-engined sports cars. You know as well as I do that Audi's styling just looks like that. It works for their sedans and wagons, but IMO not for the R8 (though no one will mistake it for anything else anytime soon).

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on January 21, 2013, 04:28:39 PM
I'm not being dense, particularly in the previously mentioned context of high-end mid-engined sports cars. You know as well as I do that Audi's styling just looks like that. It works for their sedans and wagons, but IMO not for the R8 (though no one will mistake it for anything else anytime soon).
Just because a car doesn't have all kinds of crazy lines and shit doesn't mean it's good looking.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on January 21, 2013, 04:35:40 PM
Just because a car doesn't have all kinds of crazy lines and shit doesn't mean it's good looking.

Exactly. ;)

I think what you meant to say was the opposite of that. And it would still be right. I've been anti-crazy lines and shit for no good reason since forever, but the 458 doesn't have crazy lines and shit for no good reason. It's svelte, slim, it's not too busy, it looks like it's always moving. The style is accomplished cleanly and without excess, while still being edgy enough for a supercar of its stature.

Now, the R8, it's not really bad looking per se, and I do like the carved from a block of steel look (see Volvo 240 :lol: ), but it's not exciting, and therefore certainly not sexy. It's pretty nice in a vacuum, but as we all know, these things don't happen in a vacuum.