Caprice PPV

Started by Catman, January 20, 2013, 12:42:46 PM

Catman

We can and we were but no one had any. Not much difference in price and mileage isn't that different either.

Catman

Absolutely fantastic police car.  Almost universal praise around here, unlike the Interceptor Utility.  Spent some time in the Caprice today.

GoCougs

The Taurus cop car is getting horrible reviews, including MPG and durability (TTV6 version).

C&D had both a Caprice and Charger R/T in the most recent Lightening Lap. The Caprice had a horrible level of nanny intervention that couldn't be defeated - the Charger killed it as a result.

Catman

Got any links?  I noticed the caprice goes in 4 cylinder mode.

GoCougs

Catman

Quote from: GoCougs on March 21, 2013, 04:57:52 PM
FWIW I like the Caprice more: 2013 C&D Lightening Lap - Caprice vs. Charger.

Their complaints about the stability control is actually an asset in our business.

Cookie Monster

I've never noticed this before, but the fact that the fender goes so far up the A-pillar irritates the shit out of me.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Atomic

A couple of our local municipalities recently purchased MY13 Chevy Caprice Patrol Cars. I see them trickling in. So the exact amount is not known at this time. The community typically uses AWD SUVs so I was somewhat surprised. However, a recent local article mentioned that a variety of vehicles will be joining the fleet and MPG played a role in attempting to "go green" where and whenever possible. Is the Caprice apart of the "green plan" is one thing I question. I would imagine MPG figures are better than out going Chevrolet Suburban's and Ford Expeditions. They have added Dodge Charger's, too.

Atomic

Quote from: thecarnut on April 03, 2013, 12:51:52 PM
I've never noticed this before, but the fact that the fender goes so far up the A-pillar irritates the shit out of me.

Very odd, eh?

Catman

Our third Caprice just came in.  This one is a bit different.  The center console we ordered in this car is flat which allows the computer to be lowered more.

FlatBlackCaddy

Haven't seen one in person yet(or maybe I have and thought it was a impala). Based on pictures alone I'd have to say I prefer the charger first and then the taurus in second when it comes to looks. This just looks like a 8 year old impala with some different dimensions.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on January 20, 2013, 05:36:02 PM
The '78-'79 Caprices are really pretty cars, IMO

:huh:

One mans trash........

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on February 21, 2013, 03:28:18 PM
Can you get a 3.6L?

I'm guessing the commercial market(police) probably want to stay away from the 3.6 chain thrower.

A 6.0 probably doesn't cost much more, gets better gas mileage, is more reliable and costs less to maintain.

Catman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 18, 2013, 04:51:33 PM
I'm guessing the commercial market(police) probably want to stay away from the 3.6 chain thrower.

A 6.0 probably doesn't cost much more, gets better gas mileage, is more reliable and costs less to maintain.

That's why we get the 6.0L. Mileage isn't more than 1-2mpg but everything else is better with the V8. I like the look of the new Charger but the Taurus has some ugly proportions and the interior room is heinous. Out of all three the Chevy is a better package.  a lot of agencies aren't bying the Ford sedans anymore and they are getting the Utility if they are stuck on Ford. We have two Utilitys and they suck too.  The column shifter next year should please a of agencies, although we actually like the stick.

J86

people helping people, it's a beautiful thing :lol:

Mustangfan2003

I saw my 2nd Caprice about a month ago, a Tennessee trooper.  Around here it seems to be

1.Charger
2.Tahoe
3.Taurus/Explorer
in that order. 

Raza

Funny, I'm seeing more Tauruses now.  Seems like the PA highway patrol has got a few. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Catman on July 18, 2013, 03:11:10 PM
Our third Caprice just came in.  This one is a bit different.  The center console we ordered in this car is flat which allows the computer to be lowered more.

People helping people? You guys need this decal on the side:

:lol:

Catman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 18, 2013, 08:13:06 PM
People helping people? You guys need this decal on the side:

:lol:

I like it

MX793

Why aren't you using the customer appreciation baton?!
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

There would be nothing wrong with that picture if the officer had a bubble next to him that said "Stop resisting! Stop resisting!".

Laconian

I think a cop brandishing a taser at one end of the car, and on the other, a crumpled student in a state of "excited delerium" would add a more modern flair.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

My local PD is all over the map with its car purchases. Chargers, Tauruses, F150s, Exploders... I can't pick out a cop car by the headlights anymore! :rage:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Mustangfan2003

I've seen a few Rams out there too. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: Laconian on July 18, 2013, 09:30:30 PM
My local PD is all over the map with its car purchases. Chargers, Tauruses, F150s, Exploders... I can't pick out a cop car by the headlights anymore! :rage:

LED lightbars are tough to distinguish from roof racks, too.

Catman

Quote from: Laconian on July 18, 2013, 09:30:30 PM

Typical. Everyone trying to figure out what to purchase. Personally, I think we made a mistake buying the Explorers. Should have went with Caprices and Tahoes.  We are actually getting a Tahoe but I am not sure if it will be marked or not.  They're significantly more money than the Explorer though.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 18, 2013, 08:51:54 PM
There would be nothing wrong with that picture if the officer had a bubble next to him that said "Stop resisting! Stop resisting!".

Cop needs to be white, too. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 19, 2013, 08:43:20 AM
Cop needs to be white, too. :lol:

The cop is white.  A black cop would be holding his billy club sideways.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

When I was in CA last week I found it funny how many Officers there still carry the long straight batons. The guys around here all carry the expandable ones.