Bye bye VQ on the Q50....

Started by MexicoCityM3, January 23, 2013, 02:07:15 PM

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2013, 07:45:04 PM
I know several people who have had multiple Saabs.  One guy I know even bought the same car over again in a stick.  Later model year, but the same generation.

I almost bought a Saab at the time I was looking for the Focus. It was a '99 9-3. 50,000 miles, 5 speed, turbo, 2 door, metallic blue with tan interior. Looked clean as a whistle.

I dodged a bullet. The Saab would have been a lot more interesting, but the Focus still runs. I'm not sure I could say the same for that particular car.

afty

Quote from: TurboDan on January 27, 2013, 06:35:51 PM
That was my point. Most people couldn't articulate the intricacies of what makes a car "feel good" but you know the inherent, intangible differences between one car and another simply by driving it.
My wife is no car enthusiast, but she loves driving my G35 and gives me crap about how I get to drive the fun car while she has the family mobile (a
Sorento).  I doubt she could articulate why she likes it, aside from maybe the power, but she can certainly tell it's a more entertaining car than either her car or our old Altima.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MrH on January 26, 2013, 09:03:07 AM
A stripper entry luxury car without luxury features...how is that more of a luxury car than a loaded mainstreamer with more luxury features?

Most entry-level luxury cars today, especially those sold in North America, are equipped with a bunch of features that the average owner will never ever use.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on January 26, 2013, 09:07:45 AM
In many cases, their feature content is no better than a mid-level mainstream vehicle.  I will give you the standard feature list for 2 vehicles.  One is an entry-level "luxury" car.  One is a mid-level trim of a mainstream car.  The price difference between these two is $5,000.  You tell me which is the luxury car and which is the mainstream car.

Car A:
Engine:  4-cylinder, 180 hp
Transmission:  Automatic w/ manual mode
Exterior features:
-Power adjustable mirrors, manual folding
-Halogen headlamps
-17" Alloy wheels
-Automatic windshield wipers
-Automatic headlights
Interior features:
-Manual adjustable seats
-Vinyl seating surfaces
-Trip computer
-Automatic, dual-zone climate control
-Power windows
-Power locks
-Tilt/telescope steering column
-Smart key w/ Driver memory settings
-Dynamic cruise control
-Bluetooth hands-free support
-Steering wheel mounted audio and cruise controls
-AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo with aux input and HD radio

Car B
Engine:  4-cylinder, 200 hp
Transmission:  Automatic w/ manual mode
Exterior features:
-Power adjustable, heated mirrors, power folding
-17" alloy wheels
-Halogen headlamps
Interior features:
-Power front seats
-Heated and cooled front seats
-Heated rear seats
-Leather seating surfaces
-Driver's memory seat
-Heated steering wheel
-Trip computer
-Power windows
-Power locks
-Power sunroof
-Bluetooth hands-free phone support
-Steering wheel mounted audio and cruise controls
-Cooled glove box
-Cruise control
-Rearview camera
-AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo with aux input and HD radio (w/ voice commands)

I would guess that Car B is the mainstream car and that Car A is the luxury car. You want to make a point that Car B is cheaper, has more power and has the same or more features as Car A, right?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 28, 2013, 06:28:02 AM
Most entry-level luxury cars today, especially those sold in North America, are equipped with a bunch of features that the average owner will never ever use.

No.

I would actually agree if you argued things like build quality, and intangibles such as solidarity and other things that a mainstreamer can't match.

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on January 28, 2013, 06:43:17 AM
No.

I would actually agree if you argued things like build quality, and intangibles such as solidarity and other things that a mainstreamer can't match.

Yeah, the luxury brands can actually be pretty stingy with features. In the LR2, for example, satellite radio was an option with the premium stereo. Fortunately, the original owner of mine ordered it, but satrad is pretty much standard on most mainstream vehicles these days.

I don't think MB offered CD players standard until the early 2000s.

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on January 28, 2013, 09:53:16 AM
Yeah, the luxury brands can actually be pretty stingy with features. In the LR2, for example, satellite radio was an option with the premium stereo. Fortunately, the original owner of mine ordered it, but satrad is pretty much standard on most mainstream vehicles these days.

I don't think MB offered CD players standard until the early 2000s.

My E class was a 2002 and did not have a standard CD player. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on January 28, 2013, 10:02:51 AM
My E class was a 2002 and did not have a standard CD player. 

Yeah. Can't speak for the E, but I know the SL didn't get it standard until the R230 came out in '03.

SVT666

That's because old people are usually the last people to adopt new technology and are usually the only ones who can afford an E class.  I will not be one of those people.  I have promised myself that I will be an early adopter or at least aadopt new technology at the same time as everyone else so as not to be left behind and become a grumpy codger.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on January 29, 2013, 09:45:37 AM
That's because old people are usually the last people to adopt new technology and are usually the only ones who can afford an E class.  I will not be one of those people.  I have promised myself that I will be an early adopter or at least aadopt new technology at the same time as everyone else so as not to be left behind and become a grumpy codger.

CDs weren't new in 2002!

Plus, I'm not talking about an optional changer over a single disc standard.  Single disc wasn't even available.  It was a $600 CD changer or the radio. 

My 2004 Passat had single disc in-dash standard and was less than half the price of my E class.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Heh, my aunt and uncle would always buy luxury cars optioned to the gills but would never know how to operate any of the toys. I imagine the CD changer was lost on most MB buyers at the time.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on January 29, 2013, 09:45:37 AM

I'm pretty sure my grandparents' 2000 Lincoln had a standard CD player.  My parents' 2000 300M had a standard CD player (theirs had the optional in-dash changer).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on January 28, 2013, 06:43:17 AM
No.

Compared to Europe, an entry-level luxury car sold in the US has more standard features. And I'd argue that part of the appeal of a luxury car are also intangible features such as presumed better build quality, safety, badge appeal etc.

These days buying a premium car is becoming more and more an emotional decision. Mainstream cars have caught up/on in terms of features and are themselves already "near luxury" in terms of features.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CJ

Safety?  Did you see how poorly the 3-Series, A4, Lexus IS, and Mercedes C-Class did in the small overlap test?  The Honda Accord, Acura TL, and Volvo S60 did exceptionally well, as did many other regular cars.

IIHS crash test results for midsize family cars

MexicoCityM3

The F30 series is a 5 star Euro-NCAP car, so unsafe it isn't. I don't know about the rest.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on January 30, 2013, 01:07:49 PM
Safety?  Did you see how poorly the 3-Series, A4, Lexus IS, and Mercedes C-Class did in the small overlap test?  The Honda Accord, Acura TL, and Volvo S60 did exceptionally well, as did many other regular cars.

IIHS crash test results for midsize family cars

I'm so going to buy an Acura TL now!

NOT. Not available here.  :winkguy: :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

I considered buying a Saab 9-3 once. It drove very well and I loved the style, but I just couldn't bring myslf to spend that much on a FWD car (and the dealer didn't have at manual transmission cars in stock).

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 01, 2013, 06:43:44 PM
I considered buying a Saab 9-3 once. It drove very well and I loved the style, but I just couldn't bring myslf to spend that much on a FWD car (and the dealer didn't have at manual transmission cars in stock).

My one friend has a second to last generation 9-3 2.0T with a stick.  He loves it so much.  Can't even bear the thought to part with it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

veeman

Saab failed because they were priced as high as bmws without the cache or quality of one.  Thats what swedish labor costs get you.

GoCougs

Interesting development/discovery. The Q50 hybrid will have a DSG-type transmission - Direct Response Hybrid System™ with Intelligent Dual Clutch Control. We'll see if the DSG is offered in non-hybrid Q50s. The car really really needs it IMO.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on January 24, 2013, 11:05:25 AM
Fastest to 60 in the test (also last place).

(The 328i and A4 were only .1" behind)

The car in the test was a T5.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no