in the U.S. is diesel worth it?

Started by veeman, January 30, 2013, 11:53:27 AM

cawimmer430

Around the 6:00 minute mark he goes speeding. No diesel sounds and the car certainly is not slow. Watch the video. Modern diesels are awesome!

Taking a fast drive on the Autobahns in my region with a Mercedes S350 BlueTec. The car has a 3-liter 6-cylinder diesel engine with 258 hp and goes up to 250 km/h, where it is electronically limited. Top speed is reached in this video. The first minutes, however are in a speed-limited zone, where I use the radar-guided cruise control "Distronic Plus".

Driving fast on the Autobahn in a Mercedes S-Class (3)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

68_427

Ram 1500 is getting the 3.0l vm diesel this year.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 17, 2013, 05:21:43 PM
Around the 6:00 minute mark he goes speeding. No diesel sounds and the car certainly is not slow. Watch the video. Modern diesels are awesome!

Taking a fast drive on the Autobahns in my region with a Mercedes S350 BlueTec. The car has a 3-liter 6-cylinder diesel engine with 258 hp and goes up to 250 km/h, where it is electronically limited. Top speed is reached in this video. The first minutes, however are in a speed-limited zone, where I use the radar-guided cruise control "Distronic Plus".

Yeah, but I bet it smelled like a semi truck in there.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Rollin' coal! Just like a bro-truck.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on February 17, 2013, 05:28:29 PM
Yeah, but I bet it smelled like a semi truck in there.

:lol:

Nah, they don't smell. I'm behind such cars in traffic on a daily basis and I have my ventilation system set to "exterior air". The only diesels that smell are older ones and trucks and some vans. Modern diesel passenger cars typically don't have that diesel smell.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 17, 2013, 05:21:43 PM

You can't hear the engine at all, so how can you say it doesn't sound like a diesel?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on February 19, 2013, 06:39:24 PM
You can't hear the engine at all, so how can you say it doesn't sound like a diesel?

So many people still think that these modern diesel cars are loud and noisy at speed. They're only really audible when they're cold.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

My Jetta sounded like a diesel at idle.  I was in line at a drive through with my windows down, and I heard the sound of my engine bouncing off the wall and looked around for a diesel.  Then I realized it was my car making the diesel sound. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2013, 07:54:26 AM
My Jetta sounded like a diesel at idle.  I was in line at a drive through with my windows down, and I heard the sound of my engine bouncing off the wall and looked around for a diesel.  Then I realized it was my car making the diesel sound. 

Same here. The engine in the 118i sounds like an old diesel at idle and is really loud past 140 km/h. In fact I'm pretty sure, based on my experiences, that certain modern diesels are quieter than the 118i, including the 118d!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on February 19, 2013, 06:39:24 PM

Well now, isn't that the point. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

A beetle diesel was in the parking lot at lunch today. It sounded like a truck and stunk.

Morris Minor

I did not know, until the recent "wrong fuel" news story, that the presidential limo is, or is strongly rumored to be, diesel-powered.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/20/presidential-limo-breaks-down-ahead-of-obamas-arrival/
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 21, 2013, 08:57:17 AM
I did not know, until the recent "wrong fuel" news story, that the presidential limo is, or is strongly rumored to be, diesel-powered.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/20/presidential-limo-breaks-down-ahead-of-obamas-arrival/

I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

I thought it was well known that the presidential limo is built on a GM truck chassis and powered by a Duramax engine.