superbowl - so god made a farmer/paul harvey - commercial

Started by veeman, February 04, 2013, 10:51:39 AM

SVT666

Quote from: TurboDan on February 04, 2013, 08:38:55 PM
1) Most people even remotely interested in buying an American pickup truck believe in God.
Oh BS.  Prove it.

Quote2) The fact that the mere mention of something borderline religious, in a figurative context, on a TV commercial, insults anybody that much means atheists have way too much time on their hands and are far more whiny and oversensitive than the religious people they hold in so much ironic disdain.
Really?  Let's see a car commercial use Atheist beliefs as it's message and we'll see who whines and complains more.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on February 05, 2013, 09:17:10 AM
Who cares?

I'm an atheist and was not the least bit put off by it. Get over yourself.  There's more important things in life then running around looking for shit to be insulted by.

Yup on all accounts - it also preaches to the demographic that buys pickup trucks (to the tune of ~1,000,000/year) - it ain't intended to convert pasty white Prius drivers.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Xer0

I really didn't like the commercial.  It was way too long, dragged on, and really did a hell of a job alienating me.  I'm not the target market, sure, but I never will be on account of that comercial either.

TurboDan

Quote from: SVT666 on February 05, 2013, 09:54:02 AM
Really?  Let's see a car commercial use Atheist beliefs as it's message and we'll see who whines and complains more.

Isn't a lack of belief the point of atheism in the first place?  :huh:

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on February 05, 2013, 07:51:33 AM
Some statistics show that only 20-40% of Americans go to church regularly.  That immediately alienates 60-80% of Americans who do not.

I didn't say "go to church," I said "believe in God," which 90 percent of Americans do.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147887/americans-continue-believe-god.aspx

SVT666

Quote from: TurboDan on February 05, 2013, 11:15:32 AM
Isn't a lack of belief the point of atheism in the first place?  :huh:
Common misconception.  Just because one does not believe in a god doesn't mean they don't believe in something.  An Atheist believes there is no god.  Agnostics neither believe nor disbelieve in a god and say that humans cannot possibly possess the knowledge to say one way or the other.

SVT666

Quote from: TurboDan on February 05, 2013, 11:17:34 AM
I didn't say "go to church," I said "believe in God," which 90 percent of Americans do.

Interesting.  Only 52% of Canadians call themselves Christian, 30% are Atheist/Agnostic, and 18% is everyone else.

Onslaught

I actually knew a lot of farmers growing up here in NC. They're all dead now but not one of them drove a Dodge.

TurboDan

Quote from: Onslaught on February 05, 2013, 12:12:12 PM
I actually knew a lot of farmers growing up here in NC. They're all dead now but not one of them drove a Dodge.

Hence the ad. Dodge is trying to change that.  :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on February 05, 2013, 11:36:20 AM
Common misconception.  Just because one does not believe in a god doesn't mean they don't believe in something.  An Atheist believes there is no god.  Agnostics neither believe nor disbelieve in a god and say that humans cannot possibly possess the knowledge to say one way or the other.

No, it is logic, not belief, that drives the atheist.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on February 05, 2013, 07:21:55 PM
Yes, but I believe there is no god. If I don't believe then I'm an Agnostic.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on February 05, 2013, 07:21:55 PM

Well, logic leads to belief... But it's not faith.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

Just watched the vid, first time I'd seen this ad. I can see why some would find the religiosity of the message off-putting, and conversely I can see why a stereotypical 'murrican farmer would find it inspirational and poignant.

Whatever floats your boat. Me, I think it's among the hokeyest things I've ever seen. :lol:

ChrisV

Oh, jeeze. You guys bitch at me if I find something one of you said to be insulting and here you are going off on someting insulting you personally that isn't even SLIGHTLY insulting. Get over your fucking selves. Fucking hypocritical morons. The ad was brilliant and I'm not a Christian at all. Of course, I grew up on listening to Paul Harvey and know what his speach meant. Dan's right. You guys are worse than the religious folks you claim to hate for doing the same things you're doing.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ChrisV on February 06, 2013, 07:46:45 AM
Oh, jeeze. You guys bitch at me if I find something one of you said to be insulting and here you are going off on someting insulting you personally that isn't even SLIGHTLY insulting. Get over your fucking selves. Fucking hypocritical morons. The ad was brilliant and I'm not a Christian at all. Of course, I grew up on listening to Paul Harvey and know what his speach meant. Dan's right. You guys are worse than the religious folks you claim to hate for doing the same things you're doing.

Oh jeeze, you again?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on February 06, 2013, 07:46:45 AM
You're a fucking tool with no reading comprehension.  One person in this thread said it was insulting and that was Raza.  The rest of us said it was alienating.  Which it is, so fuck off and stop coming back here to do nothing but insult everyone.  You're such a douche.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on February 05, 2013, 09:17:10 AM
Who cares?

I'm an atheist and was not the least bit put off by it. Get over yourself.  There's more important things in life then running around looking for shit to be insulted by.

It's a bad commercial, period.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on February 05, 2013, 11:17:34 AM

A Christian god? 

But damn, I can't believe that 92% of people in the US are that fucking stupid. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on February 06, 2013, 09:15:47 AM
A Christian god? 

But damn, I can't believe that 92% of people in the US are that fucking stupid. 

Its not that all atheists are tools, its just that all those who walk around telling us that they're stheists are tools.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 06, 2013, 10:10:26 AM
Its not that all atheists are tools, its just that all those who walk around telling us that they're stheists are tools.
How is that different from "believers" that go around doing the same thing?

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 06, 2013, 10:03:16 AM
If that were true, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Well, I don't see any of you rushing out to by a Ram, now do I?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 06, 2013, 10:10:26 AM

This is obviously a generalization but IME atheists and agnostics are FAR better about keeping their personal beliefs WRT religion to themselves than are Christians.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on February 06, 2013, 10:15:34 AM
How is that different from "believers" that go around doing the same thing?

Did I say it was?

shp4man

LOL at this thread. The commercial was OK, but last year's Chrysler commercial was better. The farmer one was just trying to sell an image, sort of like Harley Davidson does. More power to 'em.  :huh:

93JC

Speaking as a Harley owner what image do you think that brand projects? I'm just curious as to your point of view.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Fat old guy or asshole fat old guy with patches and tattoos.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA