big brother run amok

Started by veeman, February 09, 2013, 02:59:17 AM

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 11, 2013, 10:50:21 PM
What is "exactly what?"

Big fines for stupid people who were told not to drive during the snowstorm.

veeman

everything is shades of grey.  it's about individual liberty vs what is in the best interests of society.  and everything should be on a case by case basis.  i think texting while driving should be banned.  driving while intoxicated should be banned.  and the list goes on. 

once you start restricting all driving during inclement weather, you've crossed the line.  it was a run of the mill snowstorm despite the bullshit that the media tries to portray it as.  that's what happens when you have 24/7 talking media heads who have to talk about something.  it was not the worst storm of the century or any other bull crap.  it was the fifth biggest amount of snow that boston had.  O.K.  great.  that's going to happen every year because of climate change. 

restricting driving is tantamount to restricting freedom, particulary in america.  you better have a damn good reason to.  and a run of the mill snowstorm, which occurs every week in a place like buffalo during the winter, is not a strong enough reason.

when it snows 2 inches in the south, there are a ton of accidents because people don't know how to drive in the snow there.  why don't you ban all driving in the south upon any fall of snow? 

when the governor advises me to stay home and read a book, i wonder when did he become my dad.  and when did i revert to being school age.   

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on February 12, 2013, 01:25:32 PM
Big fines for stupid people who were told not to drive during the snowstorm.

The only moral government action is in response to violation of person and/or property, or significantly negligent acts that predict such (DUI, discharge of firearm in densely populated areas, etc.). Tickets and/or fines should only be levied against those that drive too fast, have to be rescued from an abandoned car, block traffic, cause a wreck, etc. Simply being out driving in a snow storm doesn't qualify IMO.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on February 14, 2013, 01:00:30 AM
The only moral government action is in response to violation of person and/or property, or significantly negligent acts that predict such (DUI, discharge of firearm in densely populated areas, etc.). Tickets and/or fines should only be levied against those that drive too fast, have to be rescued from an abandoned car, block traffic, cause a wreck, etc. Simply being out driving in a snow storm doesn't qualify IMO.
Don't forget HOV lanes.

GoCougs

HOV lanes are irrational before they are immoral.

hotrodalex

Quote from: veeman on February 14, 2013, 12:42:35 AM
when it snows 2 inches in the south, there are a ton of accidents because people don't know how to drive in the snow there.  why don't you ban all driving in the south upon any fall of snow? 

Snow in the south is a lot different that snow in the north. I've driven in both. Snow in Kentucky sucks, because it's slushy and icy. Snow here in Utah is nothing - it packs down and you can easily control the car. We had one storm a few weeks ago that led to a lot of ice and slush, similar to the storms we get in Kentucky, and guess what? People were crashing everywhere.

veeman

and should they ban driving in the south when it snows because of that?

hotrodalex

They should ban driving everywhere. All the time. People can die cuz of that crap.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 15, 2013, 12:23:17 AM
They should ban driving everywhere. All the time. People can die cuz of that crap.

+1 
Everyone should be forced to stay inside. Unless you have a license to go outside and special training and permits and such.
Will

rohan

Quote from: SVT666 on February 11, 2013, 03:27:53 PM
We got so dumb because dumb people breed more than intelligent people, therefore there are more of them...and we don't believe in Survival of the Fittest anymore.  Dumb people don't die from their dumb decisions anymore.  Intelligence is being bred out of society.

Soon we will have nations of retards being governed by mildly smarter retards.  We're almost there anyway.
Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.  :lol:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: J86 on February 10, 2013, 05:21:57 PM
No salt water.

There are also a lot of Republicans....and who wants that.....