2014 Jeep Cherokee

Started by 93JC, February 22, 2013, 11:49:37 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TurboDan on February 23, 2013, 10:06:24 AM
Lol. What kind of car was that? I wasn't alive when they made that movie, but I don't think I've ever seen anything resembling that on the road.

It was the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT666 on February 22, 2013, 07:47:52 PM
What blind motherfucker looked at that and said, "Build it."?

This.

giant_mtb

What a pussy looking piece of shit.  The old Cherokee was actually good at being a Jeep.  This?  Naw, nobody will be talking about this Jeep 20 years after it comes out unless it's to say that it was a total failure.

Colin

You have to ask how big the market is for the old style of Jeep compared to the current fashion for SUVs and CrossOvers which based on their looks promise but rarely deliver much in the way of off-road ability. Like Land-Rover, and unlike almost all other rivals, I will bet that this Jeep has still got plenty of off road ability.

giant_mtb

I bet a stock 1993 XJ would whack this thing off the trail without breathing a second thought.

280Z Turbo

I drive on roads. The XJ sucked.

Soup DeVille

One has to consider that the "old" 4wd vehicles: the XJs, the K5 Blazers, the full size Broncos: they all still command a premium in the used market; and they're being bought by people who keep them in a garage and wipe them down with a cloth diaper either.

There's a reason for that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

"...and they're being bought by people who keep them in a garage and wipe them down with a cloth diaper either."

Not sure if you meant that they're not being bought by people who baby them in a garage?  Or if you meant the other way?

In my experience, people are not babying their K5s, XJs, Broncos, and old-school 'Yota pickups...they're driving the shit out of them because they actually go places.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2013, 02:41:13 PM
"...and they're being bought by people who keep them in a garage and wipe them down with a cloth diaper either."

Not sure if you meant that they're not being bought by people who baby them in a garage?  Or if you meant the other way?

In my experience, people are not babying their K5s, XJs, Broncos, and old-school 'Yota pickups...they're driving the shit out of them because they actually go places.

yes, there's a missing "not" in there.

giant_mtb

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2013, 02:41:13 PM

You must mean because they actually go places for the sole purpose of "using" their Jeep under the guise of some need to get there. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

They use them to go places because it's fun to go places 94% of other vehicles cannot.  That is the essential use for such vehicles.  Why that would ever be seen as a problem is beyond me.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:04:28 PM
You must mean because they actually go places for the sole purpose of "using" their Jeep under the guise of some need to get there. ;)

Yes, and killing all the lovely rabbits, birdies and endangered lichens along the way.

Just liek you in your Department of Trees and Stuff vehicles, except they don't get to wear that snazzy hat.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2013, 02:04:26 PM
I bet a stock 1993 XJ would whack this thing off the trail without breathing a second thought.

Tech in new off-roaders can do a lot against the purity of old off-roaders. Assuming stock XJ means open diffs and AT tires, I would not necessarily bet on it against the lastest Grand Cherokee or this next gen model with the same tires and stock driver aids/fancy differentials.

Now, an XJ with mud tires, skid plates, and front and rear lockers is a different story...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:09:39 PM
Tech in new off-roaders can do a lot against the purity of old off-roaders. Assuming stock XJ means open diffs and AT tires, I would not necessarily bet on it against the lastest Grand Cherokee or this next gen model with the same tires and stock driver aids/fancy differentials.

Now, an XJ with mud tires, skid plates, and front and rear lockers is a different story...

New Grand Cherokee =/= New Cherokee

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:09:39 PM

Yes, except that new Cherokee is going to be 40,000 and made of shiny, easily scratched, soft plastic bumpered parts.

That, more than any other reason is why you don't see a lot of them anywhere more adventurous than the parking lot of the nearest REI.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 23, 2013, 03:07:54 PM
Yes, and killing all the lovely rabbits, birdies and endangered lichens along the way.

Just liek you in your Department of Trees and Stuff vehicles, except they don't get to wear that snazzy hat.

:lol:

I just mean that in thousands of miles of driving primitive roads, there has only been, uh, maybe one time where I had to get somewhere or wanted to get somewhere that I couldn't get in my stock rig with AT tires. I mean, it's fine if you want a modified Jeep to play around with (though kind of silly, I think, and not infrequently damage-causing), but don't do it under the pretend idea that you actually need it to get somewhere, you know?

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2013, 03:10:25 PM
New Grand Cherokee =/= New Cherokee

Ooooh, this is just a Cherokee! I see your point.

But still, I bet it'll beat a stock XJ.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 23, 2013, 03:12:16 PM
Yes, except that new Cherokee is going to be 40,000 and made of shiny, easily scratched, soft plastic bumpered parts.

That, more than any other reason is why you don't see a lot of them anywhere more adventurous than the parking lot of the nearest REI.

You should see the $40k (formerly) shiny plasticy Jeep GC I drive around the woods for work. ;)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:15:16 PM

I just mean that in thousands of miles of driving primitive roads, there has only been, uh, maybe one time where I had to get somewhere or wanted to get somewhere that I couldn't get in my stock rig with AT tires. I mean, it's fine if you want a modified Jeep to play around with (though kind of silly, I think, and not infrequently damage-causing), but don't do it under the pretend idea that you actually need it to get somewhere, you know?

Yeah, this is modern society.  We have roads going virtually everywhere you could ever need to go.

...which is why it's nice to have an old off-roading beast to get where no normal stock vehicle can go. :ohyeah:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:15:16 PM

Some of the fire-roads up north can be pretty tough for any stock vehicle; and yes, a lot of them are used as access to hunting areas.

Plus, there are areas set aside for those who want to play around with their modded Jeeps- areas that may look like they've been flayed with a rubber whip, but other than the coloration sustain minimal damage.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:17:43 PM
You should see the $40k (formerly) shiny plasticy Jeep GC I drive around the woods for work. ;)

That you didn't pay for either, ehh?

Rupert

People who want to off-road their rigs don't buy anything >$15k for the most part, excepting some pick-ups.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:16:43 PM
Ooooh, this is just a Cherokee! I see your point.

But still, I bet it'll beat a stock XJ.

I'm guessing (based on its crossover-style looks) that this new Cherokee is FWD.  That's basically where I start to wonder about its offroad prowess.  If it isn't, or if it has optional 4WD, it probably would go farther than an old (stock) XJ. 

Or I'm just being a grumbly old man saddened by the potential wussification of the Cherokee nameplate.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2013, 03:19:01 PM
Yeah, this is modern society.  We have roads going virtually everywhere you could ever need to go.

...which is why it's nice to have an old off-roading beast to get where no normal stock vehicle can go. :ohyeah:

Nice as in fun, but not nice as in useful. A modified off-road rig is only marginally more useful than a modified two-seat track car, and that's only because of more storage space.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:22:24 PM

People who want to off-road their rigs don't buy anything >$15k for the most part, excepting some pick-ups.

That's for sure.  That's half the reason older Jeeps and K5's and Yotas are so popular for off-roading.  They're cheap, there's great aftermarket support, they're built well, and nobody worries about scratching the paint because it's likely that the 1984 'Yota that has not one, but two solid axles you just bought doesn't even have any paint left. :lol:

2o6

Cherokee is replacing the Compass/Patriot and the Liberty. Underneath, it's a Dodge Dart.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:23:55 PM
Nice as in fun, but not nice as in useful. A modified off-road rig is only marginally more useful than a modified two-seat track car, and that's only because of more storage space.

I agree.  An old K5 with 35" tires and a lift is not an ideal daily driver.  Definitely need a second vehicle.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2013, 03:22:27 PM
I'm guessing (based on its crossover-style looks) that this new Cherokee is FWD.  That's basically where I start to wonder about its offroad prowess.  If it isn't, or if it has optional 4WD, it probably would go farther than an old (stock) XJ. 

Or I'm just being a grumbly old man saddened by the potential wussification of the Cherokee nameplate.

Initial drive wheels won't matter if it has 4WD or you can otherwise lock the front and rear together, and especially if you can also lock the left and right together or if it has techno stuff to successfully mimic that.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2013, 03:26:05 PM
Initial drive wheels won't matter if it has 4WD or you can otherwise lock the front and rear together, and especially if you can also lock the left and right together or if it has techno stuff to successfully mimic that.

Indeed.  Does the Compatriot have that stufffffff?!