TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

Rupert

Look at this fuckin' guy, strutin' around waitin' for a ban hammer.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Char

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Tave

More and more I think the BRZ might be the best option. I'd have to wait till I move out of here because my craggy dirt parking lot would be hell on the underbody, but that'd give me time to put some nice money down.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Xer0

Quote from: Tave on March 29, 2013, 07:57:43 AM
More and more I think the BRZ might be the best option. I'd have to wait till I move out of here because my craggy dirt parking lot would be hell on the underbody, but that'd give me time to put some nice money down.

My car has one more payment left on it and on my hypothetical short list for next car in a year or two, the BRZ is at the top too (and the Accord Sport, of course  :lol: )

MexicoCityM3

Given your criteria, i agree. BRZ sounds great.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

:clap:

Sounds like you still haven't driven one?  If you're already leaning that way, guarantee that will seal the deal.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Shameless bump. No real news just fishing for additional suggestions.

My timeline is a little more clear but still indeterminate. It depends on 3 things:

1) How quickly I pay off my modest student loan. I've got $7500 left @ 6.8%. Given the rate I should just suck it up and knock it out within the year but it's such a pain in the ass. Maybe 2yrs is a little more realistic.

2) How much more value I can squeeze out of The Car from The Future. It needs new tires, shocks/struts, and some more minor suspension work and minor engine work. The catch is selling it immediately versus putting a little cash in it betting that I get good miles out.

3) How much I want a new car versus weekend trips out of town, which I often fly, although if I tighten down and postpone some of those I wouldn't mind driving them in the new ride. Between my intermittent sound system and rickety-crickets ride I'm not huge on doing them in The Car from The Future. It probably wouldn't hurt the cause to live more frugally in general, but trips are my biggest vice/wallet drain at the moment.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Blah-fuckity fuck-blah.

Check engine light started flashing this morning. Took it in, a bad wire was arcing with the ignition coil pack. New wiring + new coil pack + new plugs + cleaning the carbon buildup = me ~$900 poorer

"Oh by the way, you need new tires." Sigh. Yeah I know, add it ($400) to the bill

"Oh and your shocks/struts are shot." Sigh. Yeah I know, add it ($700) to the bill

Guess I'll be hanging onto The Car From the Future for the time being.

Silver lining - I knew exactly what that little fucker needed before they told me. So I leave the torture chamber with my man card slightly intact, if not my wallet.

Byteme

Quote from: Tave on February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM
Help me pick out this hypothetical car that I may or may not buy now or some point in the future.

Conditions:
-Cheap
-New
-Fun
-Manual

Mazda 6 I sport

Thread over.

;)

Tave

Quote from: MiataJohn on June 22, 2013, 11:49:26 PM
Mazda 6 I sport

Thread over.

;)

That's near the top of my list, and my boss can get me a great deal on any Mazda the local dealer has in stock.

Tave

Update:

I think it's about time. Test drove the Jetta TSI and TDI yesterday, it's a very attractive package. If they offer me the 0% financing special VW is running on a lot of 2014 models I might be in one by the end of the week.

The call on the TDI is a tough one. It's a fun engine and that six speed is a blast, but is it worth the $2500 premium + the loss in power + the fewer creature features? What is the long-term reliability and design life on these new diesels? Is it something that I can legitimately expect to put 200,000-300,000 miles on?

MexicoCityM3

I think with proper maimtenance any new engine should last that long. Is the Mazda 6 out of the picture? I think it's a much better choice than the Jetta.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Tave

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 17, 2014, 07:29:44 AM
I think with proper maimtenance any new engine should last that long. Is the Mazda 6 out of the picture? I think it's a much better choice than the Jetta.

No it's not. I plan on driving one and I suspect I'll like the driving dynamics more than the Jetta. The VW comes better equipped, so we'll see what the Mazda's interior space and design does for me. The local dealers didn't have any manual Touring models in stock last I checked, either. VW was pretty good in that regard, although they could do with a few more Sportwagon and Passat sticks.

MrH

I'd get a GTI over both. Not a fan of the current jetta at all
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

GTI is nicer for sure but its price reflects that.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Really hoping to stay away from a cloth interior.

MexicoCityM3

Aren't the Jetta and Mazda 6 in different segments? The Mazda 3 seems like the direct competitor to the Jetta to me. GTI is very nice, it's now built here so it's more affordable than it used to be.

As always, depends on your needs. As a single car either the 6 or the GTI are great choices. Jetta is good as well (I'd get the TSI one) only if it's significantly less dear than the other two IMO.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MX793

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 17, 2014, 09:49:19 AM
Aren't the Jetta and Mazda 6 in different segments? The Mazda 3 seems like the direct competitor to the Jetta to me. GTI is very nice, it's now built here so it's more affordable than it used to be.

As always, depends on your needs. As a single car either the 6 or the GTI are great choices. Jetta is good as well (I'd get the TSI one) only if it's significantly less dear than the other two IMO.

Jetta sort of sits between segments.  In terms of size, it's on the large end of the segment (by EPA criteria, it's technically midsize).  In terms of price, the base models compete pretty well with the Mazda3, but step into a TDI or GLI and the price is in Mazda6 territory (or fully loaded, top of the line Mazda3).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 17, 2014, 09:49:19 AM

The 2.5L Skyactiv + manual is the combo that appeals to me, and you can't get that in the Mazda 3 here.

The Jetta seems to have moved up in size and offers a lot of interior room, although I don't know how big the 6 is going to feel and might take a look at the Passat as well. Maybe I'll take a look at the 3 as well, but I have a feeling the models I'll want will be more expensive than the 6 and Jetta, while still feeling like a small car, which is something I want to get away from.

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on August 17, 2014, 10:30:32 AM
Jetta sort of sits between segments.  In terms of size, it's on the large end of the segment (by EPA criteria, it's technically midsize).  In terms of price, the base models compete pretty well with the Mazda3, but step into a TDI or GLI and the price is in Mazda6 territory (or fully loaded, top of the line Mazda3).

Mazda 3 gets pretty spendy pretty fast. To get the 2.5L you have to spend more than you would on a well-optioned Mazda 6 and there's no manual. A well-optioned Mazda 3 w/o the 2.5L is still in Mazda6 Touring territory.

*For the Hatch, the sedan is a little better

GoCougs

Forget the diesel. Stretch to get the GTI.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on August 17, 2014, 11:06:14 AM
Mazda 3 gets pretty spendy pretty fast. To get the 2.5L you have to spend more than you would on a well-optioned Mazda 6 and there's no manual. A well-optioned Mazda 3 w/o the 2.5L is still in Mazda6 Touring territory.

*For the Hatch, the sedan is a little better

Did you try the 2.0L? It's not like it's a little hamster pulling the car around

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 2o6 on August 17, 2014, 11:24:58 AM

Did you try the 2.0L? It's not like it's a little hamster pulling the car around

Really? A 20 year old design...

Maybe it's like a squirrel or a medium-sized rat.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on August 17, 2014, 11:24:58 AM

Nah, I don't like the thought of spending all this money and ending up in a small car with a lackluster engine. I need some refinement and either some power to play with and/or some room.

ifcar

It keeps being reported that the 2015 3 will have a manual 2.5-liter version, due in a couple of months. Still rumors, though, not official word from Mazda.

CALL_911

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 17, 2014, 11:56:32 AM
Really? A 20 year old design...

Maybe it's like a squirrel or a medium-sized rat.

He means the Mazda3 2.0L

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)