TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

Tave

So I found a fully loaded TDI for the same price as the mid-level I got a quote on, just a couple towns over. I about went chasing after that to see if I could make it happen this afternoon, but decided to clean out the Aveo and mull things over.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

Why don't you get a leftover or used Golf TDI?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

The Jetta is one of those cars I can't really come up with a good reason for purchasing. Obviously I'm missing something huge considering how popular the things are.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Char

Pretty sure I posted a few reviews about how th TDI, like all VWs, is a shit engine. I can't understand WHY someone would look at a Jetta when every other car in the market is a better option. Is it the "near luxury feel?" I assure you, give it 2 years when the displays fade and the interior trim starts to come apart, and you'll understand why they can sell them for so cheap.

Pick something else.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

MrH

There it is.  I was waiting for this.

I would wait for the 2.5 liter to get the 6-speed for the Mazda3.  That's a pretty compelling car.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

The New TDI engine, with a manual, is a lot of fun.  It won't win any stop light races but I have never had any trouble whatsoever merging onto a fast moving highway or overtaking a car on a two lane oncoming traffic road.  The turbo gives the car plenty of oomph.  The TDI engine is also well known to easily surpass 200 thousand miles. That's one of the reasons they fetch a high price on the used car market.  Consider a TDI beetle.  Because of its high roofline you'll never feel cramped and it's got infinitely more style than the Jetta.  You'll get around 37 mpg on a slightly higher cost of diesel with a 500 mile range.  It won't drive as nice as a GTI though.  A Jetta TDI manual is a fine choice.  It doesn't feel slow with the manual transmission and turbo.  Trust me.  It's a great engine.

Char

Quote from: veeman on August 17, 2014, 01:58:57 PM
The New TDI engine, with a manual, is a lot of fun.  It won't win any stop light races but I have never had any trouble whatsoever merging onto a fast moving highway or overtaking a car on a two lane oncoming traffic road.  The turbo gives the car plenty of oomph.  The TDI engine is also well known to easily surpass 200 thousand miles. That's one of the reasons they fetch a high price on the used car market.  Consider a TDI beetle.  Because of its high roofline you'll never feel cramped and it's got infinitely more style than the Jetta.  You'll get around 37 mpg on a slightly higher cost of diesel with a 500 mile range.  It won't drive as nice as a GTI though.  A Jetta TDI manual is a fine choice.  It doesn't feel slow with the manual transmission and turbo.  Trust me.  It's a great engine.

All the torque in the world is meaningless when the car is as fast as a Honda civic. Get over yourself. And it's not a great engine, it's a problem prone engine that's pretty unremarkable in every way.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

veeman

The VW TDI engine has great long term reliability.  Much more than most gas engines.  Hate VW.  Whatever.  Don't talk like you're an idiot though.  Oh, never mind... 

GoCougs

I'd interject that retail diesel engines (TDI or w/e) don't necessarily last longer than gasoline engines. Big rig engines can go 500,000+ miles easily but they're designed that way - just take a gander at the beefiness of the rings, bearings and engine block.

Tave

Whelp I said fuck it and took the plunge. At the dealer now and just signed the papers, updates to follow...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

CJ

Quote from: Tave on August 17, 2014, 04:29:15 PM
Whelp I said fuck it and took the plunge. At the dealer now and just signed the papers, updates to follow...

You're making the correct choice. We love our Jetta SW TDI.

CALL_911

So how many A-platform VW owners do we now have? I can think of you, me, Sporty, that guy with the Beetle, and I think I'm missing someone...

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

I was fucking around with a Golf TDI a few months back for like 2 hours. That thing was a lot of fun- economical and was reasonably quick. It was pricey, but I couldn't fault it independent of price. Congratulations and best of luck with it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

veeman

Congrats!  I think the first service is at 10,000 miles and it's covered by VW.
Great choice. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on August 17, 2014, 01:21:40 PM
Pretty sure I posted a few reviews about how th TDI, like all VWs, is a shit engine. I can't understand WHY someone would look at a Jetta when every other car in the market is a better option. Is it the "near luxury feel?" I assure you, give it 2 years when the displays fade and the interior trim starts to come apart, and you'll understand why they can sell them for so cheap.

Pick something else.
8 yrs after its build wifey's interior is holding up fine. Way way way better than my Z and Zs the same age, which cost 2x as much new. Stop making shit up. Every time you talk about VWs you make sure to remind everyone how little you know about them.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 17, 2014, 04:22:12 PM
I'd interject that retail diesel engines (TDI or w/e) don't necessarily last longer than gasoline engines. Big rig engines can go 500,000+ miles easily but they're designed that way - just take a gander at the beefiness of the rings, bearings and engine block.
Whens the last time u took a gander at any engine internals first hand lol.

Congrats Tave. Didnt see if you said it but did you get a wagon?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Congrats! Enjoy. Post pics.

Your car was made 100km from where I live.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Char

Quote from: veeman on August 17, 2014, 03:28:27 PM
The VW TDI engine has great long term reliability.   Much more than most gas engines.  Hate VW.  Whatever.  Don't talk like you're an idiot though.  Oh, never mind...
Says who? Last I heard, hey have plenty of their own problems. And what reliable gasoline engines are we comparing it to?

Oh wait, you're an idiot and don't know what your talking about. Typical on these forums.

Char

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 17, 2014, 05:50:46 PM
8 yrs after its build wifey's interior is holding up fine. Way way way better than my Z and Zs the same age, which cost 2x as much new. Stop making shit up. Every time you talk about VWs you make sure to remind everyone how little you know about them.

Not only do I know more about your shitwagon than you, I know more about your Z.
Don't challenge me on what I know, last I recall, you couldn't even change the brakes on your Z - you were wrong about "headers" on a 287hp model, and you were wrong about carbon buildup on the 2.0t models, wrong about the Jetta reliability.

It's a shit car made for clueless idiots who have more money than sense.

Payman

Excellent choice. Brother-in-law put over 500,000 kms on his 2001 TDi, and he's bought nothing but VWs since. His current car is a 2012 Jetta TDi wagon. He also gets well over 1000 kms range per tank.

Char

Quote from: Rockraven on August 17, 2014, 06:21:55 PM
Excellent choice. Brother-in-law put over 500,000 kms on his 2001 TDi, and he's bought nothing but VWs since. His current car is a 2012 Jetta TDi wagon. He also gets well over 1000 kms range per tank.

:rolleyes:

CALL_911

Quote from: Char on August 17, 2014, 06:17:54 PM
Not only do I know more about your shitwagon than you, I know more about your Z.
Don't challenge me on what I know, last I recall, you couldn't even change the brakes on your Z - you were wrong about "headers" on a 287hp model, and you were wrong about carbon buildup on the 2.0t models, wrong about the Jetta reliability.

It's a shit car made for clueless idiots who have more money than sense.

Who's in favor of getting this shithead out of here? It's not funny anymore

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Char

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 17, 2014, 06:30:24 PM
Who's in favor of getting this shithead out of here? It's not funny anymore

Whaaa, Char doesn't approve of my car, Ban him!!

hotrodalex

lol why do you even post here if we're all VW loving idiots.

Tave

2014 Jetta 6spd manual TDI w/ premium package

At the dealer:

Back in town:

Tave

Thanks guise.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 17, 2014, 05:51:48 PM
Congrats Tave. Didnt see if you said it but did you get a wagon?

I wish. It was a little on the spendy side. Also, my friend bought a TDI Sportwagon this year, which is what got me interested in the Jetta after their late-model disaster, and to be honest I would have felt like a doofus driving around in the exact same car as him.

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 17, 2014, 05:57:58 PM
Your car was made 100km from where I live.

:rockon:

Tave

Averaging 42.5 mpg over the first 120 miles back from the stealership, about 50 miles highway and the remaining backroads and city. It's got some good grunt to it even short shifting, so it'll be interesting what happens to the mileage when I pass the break-in and can wring her out.

Tave

I guess my target for The Fast Lane fell astray, mods feel free to move it to wherever you see fit, or leave it.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

On the real, looks great. Does this have the black and white 90's looking radio, or the one of the more modern looking HUs?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi