TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

SEE, IT'S MADE WITH REAL MILK PROTEIN PRODUCT!
IT IS A LEGIT USDA CHEESE DERIVED FOOD SUBSTANCE!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

I grate all my own cheese, thank you very much.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

I really don't like American. Cheddar is my fave though!
Will

Tave

I hit 5500 miles in just under 2 months. At the dealer for my first of 4 free services.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Laconian definitely go with the shorter maintenance cycle. The synthetic Mazda recommends is super light and my butt-o-meter and ears tell me the engine prefers frequent changes.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

I went back to the dealer I purchase from because it shared an owner/lot with a GM/Jag/Rover dealer and I wanted to waste my time looking at the Jags.

Saw a ton of F-Paces, XE 35t r-sports, XE 4cylinder gas and diesels, XFs and XJs, and F-type coupes (including an R).

One F-type convertible--red S model, tan interior w/ a stick. Absolutely gorgeous. It stickers for 92K which surprised me a bit; I thought they were a little cheaper. Checked the pricing when I got home and dang it moves up QUICK. You're 20K over the base model just for an S, the SVR is virtually double the cost of the car! I was also struck by how similar and large it looked compared to my car.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: Tave on March 19, 2017, 07:18:17 AM
Laconian definitely go with the shorter maintenance cycle. The synthetic Mazda recommends is super light and my butt-o-meter and ears tell me the engine prefers frequent changes.
Good to know. I'm going to change at 1k to get the little roller bearings out.

Tave

AutobahnSHO

Will

Tave

I got rear-ended friday :( Body shop thinks we can take care of it with a new bumper cover and bumper assembly, but it still sucks to have happen to a brand f'n new car, and of course it's never as quick to fix as you want it to be.

The dude was a complete airhead and tried to joke around with me about it, which added another level of irritation.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on May 09, 2017, 01:27:46 PM
I got rear-ended friday :( Body shop thinks we can take care of it with a new bumper cover and bumper assembly, but it still sucks to have happen to a brand f'n new car, and of course it's never as quick to fix as you want it to be.

The dude was a complete airhead and tried to joke around with me about it, which added another level of irritation.

ALREADY?!?!?!?!!!!!     Stupid tards.
Will

SJ_GTI

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully the body shop does a good shop.

FWIW my S4 got hit and the front fender, front bumper, and hood all had to be replaced. The body shop did a great job color matching though. On the day I sold it I still couldn't see any difference in the paint. I would think that if you find a reputable body shop they should be able to fix things right.

Tave

Yeah I'm taking it to the Mazda shop and he's pretty confident the damage is confined to the bumper cover and (possible) the two-piece assembly behind the cover, and was just planning on replacing them directly. None of the parts are more than a few hundred bucks.

12,000 RPM

Still a PITA, especially for a car you actually like.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Sorry to hear. It's nice that the paint is fresh enough that blending shouldn't be a problem at all...your paint hasn't even had a chance to fade.  (Assuming you just bought it new?)

Tave

Yeah I bought it new but it had been on the lot for ~6 months or so.

I hadn't heard back from the adjuster and was getting kinda nervous her insured was dodging her, called back and she told me the check is already in the mail, taking it into the shop on Monday.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Well it's in the shop. They didn't give me an estimated return time, but I'm guessing "have a great week" means I shouldn't hold out much hope of it being finished by Friday.

The insurance company agreed to cover the 3-days on a Jeep Renegade I rented the day it happened to take a trip up to DC, so that was nice. Now they've got me in a Dodge Journey.

I wasn't a fan of the Renegade, but it rode pretty solid and came well-optioned. The engine was an absolute turd, and the 9spd was completely hopeless, but it handled the pot-hole ridden DC streets with ease.

The Journey is a complete POS with little to no redeeming qualities. The steering actually grows lighter under load; if someone wasn't paying attention they could probably snap the front wheels off by cornering too hard. I guess it's sort of roomy for the price?

giant_mtb

Renegade to Journey is definitely a downgrade.

Tave

It's easily the roughest-textured steering wheel I've ever used. My left palm got a rugburn just letting it unwind out of a corner.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on May 15, 2017, 10:24:22 AM
I wasn't a fan of the Renegade, but it rode pretty solid and came well-optioned. The engine was an absolute turd, and the 9spd was completely hopeless, but it handled the pot-hole ridden DC streets with ease.

I had originally hoped that the Renegade was going to be more of a mini-Wrangler than the compact CUV that it ended up as. :( But at least it's good at what it was designed for.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 15, 2017, 03:51:33 PM
I had originally hoped that the Renegade was going to be more of a mini-Wrangler than the compact CUV that it ended up as. :( But at least it's good at what it was designed for.

Competing with the Soul?
Will

Laconian

Bruce Wayne drove a Jeep Renegade at the beginning of Batman vs. Superman. I have no idea why a multi billionaire would drive a POS like that. They dubbed in V12 sound effects to make it sound faster than it was.